Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th April 2013, 00:55   #631
BHPian

Default re: Miscreants Scratching my Car on Purpose: How to handle this menace?

Even i faced similar consequences while i lived at Bangalore. Few kids used to scratch my car for fun. But those scratches were painful for me. What i did was i purchased a car cover and used to put on the cover while keeping the car on parking. It really protected my car from further scratches. I guess kids don't bother to work that much by opening the cover and then scratching. If they see any thing attractive or shiny in front of their eyes they may go for it for fun. So for the time being you can purchase a car cover to prevent further scratches. It may work for you too.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 01:13   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Getting scratches on a brand new car is real pain, how to handle this menace..?

My WagonR - 6 months old - was parked in my society (Reserved for my Car) for Saturday and Sunday.

Really want to find culprit and address it officially. (No personal resolutions - either society or police).

i am fine to spend few thousands to get scratches fixed but need to nail culprit.

Some of you might have faced/gone through this. How to handle it? Also want to understand if these scratches can be taken care by 3M treatment etc without getting a proper paint job?
Same issue faced by me! 3m treatment nothing will help! only a proper paint job will heal these wounds.
Do you suspect anyone from your building? Car washer or some ex maid?

We have/had no issues/panga with anybody here, but still our figo got keyed several times even today you can see marks on the hood, boot doors of the car.

Numerous complaints to the office and manging committee was a waste of time. They did they nothing and went on to say "what can we do" ! Well they could have done something like kick out the trouble makers but they choose not to.
I lost my head when some fool stole the logo of our vehicle.

I always suspected one of the car washer or the laundry men who sit in the basement.
Its fun for them because they see me detailing my rides and no one else does this here. So few scratches here and there seems fun for them.

What I did was install a CCTV camera and starting monitoring the situation. Now the camera records 24/7 into a DVR.

I haven't bothered getting the damage fixed, but I surely want to catch his fool and teach him a leasson

Now some of the "smart" people in the managing committee of this place are objecting to the CCTV cabling to the parking lot

Last edited by Captain Slow : 8th April 2013 at 01:16.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 01:38   #633
Senior - BHPian

Put a visible dummy camera, or even just the shell overlooking the parking, with a flashing red led? Won't help in catching anybody, but would serve as a deterrent, I'm sure.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 06:38   #634
BHPian

Sorry for what happened. I know its always painful to see our beauty being scratched like this for no fault of ours. Take it to 3M and see what they have to say. For now I guess only a car cover will deter this miscreants.

If it is a kid, I wonder what kind of future citizens of the country their parents are bringing up!! Really sad!
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 07:54   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Getting scratches on a brand new car is real pain, how to handle this menace..?
Can I suggest a simple yet effective solution?

Option 1:

Invest on a good quality car body cover. Fasten the straps securely along the bottom of the car. It would act as a visual deterrent for people who are upto this mischief. Miscreants would think twice before lifting the cover and scratching it up.

Option 2:

Install an Anti theft system in the car that would sense motion/vibration and trigger an alarm.

Option 3:

If it still doesn't help, you may invest on cameras or other highly sophisticated surveillance systems suggested in the previous posts.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 08:38   #636
BHPian

Totally agree with what Warwithwheels has suggested.

Our AltoK10 used to have the shock sensors (MGA security system). Although there were no miscreants, every time the neighbours' kids went too close to the car (to play hide and seek etc.), the alarm went off and they would run away. It used to be a nuisance during Diwali (being Gurgaon), but otherwise, very effective. When you get it fixed, ask them to have the shock sensing set at the highest (most sensitive) level.

The car cover is also a good investment as I doubt anyone would take the effort to open the cover and scratch your car.

Once you get these, sort out the scratches on your car. Good luck!
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 08:52   #637
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Miscreants Scratching my Car on Purpose: How to handle this menace?

Looks like some mischief monger has deliberately targeted your car since its new. Other than the options suggested by Warwithwheels, writing a strong letter to the society would be good option.

3M treatment would not do any good, suggest you to wait for an opportunity to get the scratches removed. Was yours an open or closed reserved parking, also by any chance did you occupy someone elses spot who would retaliate?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 08:58   #638
Senior - BHPian

If you can oversee your car from the window of your home, get someone to hide behind the window and keep watch. Better still, use a good camera to capture videos of the car parked underneath. You can catch the culprit red-handed.

From the scratches, it seems to be a deliberate act, meant to cause you headache and financial loss.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 09:21   #639
Senior - BHPian

Check out what a fellow BHPian had to go thru'

Car Vandalism!-dsc_0010.jpg

Some other useful links:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dic-verna.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...y-new-car.html (Somebody purposely scratched my new car.)
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 09:26   #640
Senior - BHPian

3 Steps

1. Immediate Step: Get a car cover with tying facility in all corners.
2. If you have a Autocop remote locking then just ask MASS to increase the sensitivity. Might be a nuisance for sometime but will help as a deterrent.
3. Build a rapport with all the security guards in the building to keep a close eye on your car to nab the miscreant. I am sure they will be thrilled at that work.

If the above does not work then since you mentioned that your car is visible from the balcony, you can install a high resolution webcam or something to take recordings.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 12:16   #641
Senior - BHPian

The biggest concern here is that Society might just brush away this instance stating that this is a personal issue. I along with few more members of our society complained to them after some building folks partied in car park and had tons of color on cars, some drunkerd danced on the roof making it collapse partially...All response that we got is "parking at owners risk". The funds collected by society towards parking are for upkeep and regular mainteance of the parking premises and not necessarily towards the safety of your cars.
amtak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 12:48   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
some building folks partied in car park and had tons of color on cars, some drunkard danced on the roof making it collapse partially...All response that we got is "parking at owners risk".

Shocked that they allowed drunkards to roam about common areas in a residential building! If you know who organized the party, why don't you go after them. You can even call the cops, but it has it's own hassles
aajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 13:00   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Apart from a camera, a simple solution you can try is to ask the guard you are pally with to keep a close eye on the vehicle specially when the guy with the parking spot adjacent to yours parks. (My parking spot neighbour is very careless with how he parks and sometimes i am really tempted to scratch home the message ! )
I live in a similar setup and my parking was right in front of the building hence lots of visitors would take my spot. I got pally with one of the guards and since then he has ensured that no-one parks in my spot. Sweets on new-years have made me one of their favorite residents
Problem is security agency keeps changing every 3/6 month. But this is a good option. Infact, i have alerted security already and instead of bashing them for what has happened, "Requested" them to keep an eye to avoid it in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
It really protected my car from further scratches. I guess kids don't bother to work that much by opening the cover and then scratching. If they see any thing attractive or shiny in front of their eyes they may go for it for fun. So for the time being you can purchase a car cover to prevent further scratches. It may work for you too.
In my case, it is not kids for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Same issue faced by me! 3m treatment nothing will help! only a proper paint job will heal these wounds.
Do you suspect anyone from your building? Car washer or some ex maid?

Numerous complaints to the office and manging committee was a waste of time.

What I did was install a CCTV camera and starting monitoring the situation. Now the camera records 24/7 into a DVR.

I haven't bothered getting the damage fixed, but I surely want to catch his fool and teach him a leasson

Now some of the "smart" people in the managing committee of this place are objecting to the CCTV cabling to the parking lot
Society complaint is going to be a waste but will have to do it as to make a "note" of event. CCTV - good quality -seems to be a good option but will call for investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Put a visible dummy camera, or even just the shell overlooking the parking, with a flashing red led? Won't help in catching anybody, but would serve as a deterrent, I'm sure.
Good One ! Won't help in catching anybody - i need to nail culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Can I suggest a simple yet effective solution?

Option 1:

Invest on a good quality car body cover. Fasten the straps securely
Option 2:

Install an Anti theft system in the car that would sense motion/vibration and trigger an alarm.

Option 3:

If it still doesn't help, you may invest on cameras or other highly sophisticated surveillance systems suggested in the previous posts.
Cover might be a good idea too but it is addition trouble every time i come home/going out. Also afraid, culprit will first enjoy "Cut" cover and then scratch ! Not to mention, all this happened when i was at home on saturday/sunday. I am looking at a Psycho here for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Totally agree with what Warwithwheels has suggested.

Our AltoK10 used to have

Once you get these, sort out the scratches on your car. Good luck!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

3M treatment would not do any good, suggest you to wait for an opportunity to get the scratches removed. Was yours an open or closed reserved parking, also by any chance did you occupy someone elses spot who would retaliate?
Mine is open parking. So 3M is out of question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
You can catch the culprit red-handed.

From the scratches, it seems to be a deliberate act, meant to cause you headache and financial loss.
Currently trying to use WebCam/Handy Cam connected to laptop. Night recording might be a issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
3 Steps

1. Immediate Step: Get a car cover with tying facility in all corners.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
The biggest concern here is that Society
Society is useless.

Currently i am planning

1. Not to lose my head and also told my family to chill. Nothing irreversible has happened. It is just loss of few thousands. I will still enjoy my car and not planning to fix scratches immediately, may be in due course with insurance.

2. Video recorder will be used at-least for few weeks. Don't want to lose opportunity to nail culprit. Behave as if nothing has happened. Sometime reacting to situation like this works for culprit and adds to his joyful moments :-)

3. Never thought will face such culprits in my life. Really fail to understand what they get by damaging others property?
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 15:34   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Shocked that they allowed drunkards to roam about common areas in a residential building! If you know who organized the party, why don't you go after them. You can even call the cops, but it has it's own hassles
Yes, it was all the society personnel who partied like crazy and lost their senses. Since I didnt see them in person but got the news from someone who saw them, I cannot go to the cops as no one would testify. Plus, it has its own issues as I would still be staying in the same society.
amtak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 15:52   #645
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Miscreants Scratching my Car on Purpose: How to handle this menace?

During a few occassions such as Diwali, Holi, Ganpati festivals and annual society general body meeting I am extra careful and as close to my vehicle as possible so that no untoward incident can happen. I had to lose my car cover once as the cover was sprayed with what nots during Holi while luckily saving my car from any spurious paints.

I dont see whether any CCTV or other gadgets would help you prevent such a thing happening again IMO. The more you investigate, the more you might find it happening. Suggest you to leave the matter as of now but make it a point to bring it up during the society AGM's & take a hard stance.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote