Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th May 2013, 14:08   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Car Vandalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
My Chevy Beat is usually parked outside on the private road in Pune. Today morning, I found one of the wipers ripped off from its base :( It's not just removed from the joint, but the die at the base of the wiper is actually broken. With monsoon at door step, I have to get a new wiper ASAP.

A silver lining is, there wasn't any other damage done to the car.
Something similar what happened to my car last month. I had Bosch wiper blades on my car, though, not exactly new, but nevertheless, were working perfectly. Took my car on a fine weekend and used the wash-wipe. The wiper made that irritating sound produced by the friction of hard rubber and glass windshield. I got down to find the reason for the sudden deterioration in the wiper blades and instead of my 2 good Bosch'es, Syndicate ones welcomed me. One was even torn to the extent that half of the wiping rubber was almost hanging from the blade I was astonished that if anybody can stoop so low??
Immediately my attention went to the other zen in our parking lot. Checked that, in any case, but it had even more battered wipers!

Got them changed a few weeks ago. Was 50% unlucky as the service centre did not have driver's side bosch wiper for my car. Its now running on one side syndicate & the other bosch, of course, both new. I still have no idea that who might have done it!

Last edited by saket77 : 29th May 2013 at 14:10.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 10:42   #692
Senior - BHPian

As reported in my last post, the following part is broken in the wiper of Beat diesel. (image from team-bhp review)

Name:  Beat.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  74.5 KB

I have rest of the arm which seems in perfect condition. Only the connecting part to the body is broken. Can it be replaced?

The service center is bit far from my house, so I want to first confirm whether they have the part or not. For that, I need the name! Is it called 'linkage' or something different?
ani_meher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 20:00   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have rest of the arm which seems in perfect condition. Only the connecting part to the body is broken. Can it be replaced?

The service center is bit far from my house, so I want to first confirm whether they have the part or not. For that, I need the name! Is it called 'linkage' or something different?
The wiper arm is connected to the wiper motor by means of a linking arm, via pivots. If either the pivot is broken or the connecting arm (linkage as you put it) is broken, it is a simple replacable part. However you should get your wiper assembly checked, to see if the strain of pulling out the connecting arm has not damaged your motor assembly, if so, that would mean replacing the entire wiper assembly, which might be costly.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 17:45   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Here are few pics. They are of average quality and out of focus. Notice the dent caused by kicking on the FR door panel in the long-shot pic. There are 5 dents of same type on the hood and one more on the hatch door.
Its shocking to see this happen to you car and I can totally understand. Within 2 months of buying a new car, a bus hit my left fender intentionally and drove off and I could do nothing about it. That was the very day I had got all the minor scratches removed and everything decked up. You just feel,'Oh No, Not Again'!

But here is my noob question - Why can't you get it repaired through insurance? I mean the NCB would be far lower than the cost of the repairs, am I correct or am I missing something?
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 20:08   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Here are few pics. They are of average quality and out of focus. Notice the dent caused by kicking on the FR door panel in the long-shot pic. There are 5 dents of same type on the hood and one more on the hatch door.
Its about the way things work around your place. Kids play near my house too, sometimes they break a window by mistake or maybe dent a car, sh*t happens while playing, but they have the courtesy to admit their mistake and get it repaired (once they admit, it barely hurts, even if they repair it after a week/10days). That's how a neighbourhood works, you don't need to be friends with the neighbour for that.

What the kids have cruelly done to your car is criminal. They're no innocent little creatures, looking at the way they seem to have done it. Moreover, the way the parents are behaving, they too need learn a lesson.

Schools nowadays don't care of any 3rd party allegations. It's a business for them, the parents are their clients.

File a police complaint. If the police don't file an F.I.R. , simply file a Private Complaint in the court with the proof you have. Notify this dispute to others around your place. 'Notify' the school that such a case has been filed against the student/parent.

Tolerating a criminal act is like encouraging it. Once you go 'legal', other neighbours encouraging them wouldn't support any such crap again. Some part of the judiciary may seem corrupt, but believe me, majority of the goons too are sh*t scared of the courts, coz they never know when their luck runs out & the court takes your evidence as conclusive proof.

In the long term, this would also set an example and put some sense into other parents who encourage their kids to vandalise other people's property.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 7th June 2013 at 20:25.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 17:01   #696
Senior - BHPian

An update on my Beat case. The wiper arm was needed to be replaced, costing Rs.525 inclusive of labour and taxes. I had the week old rubber wiper with me which was attached to the old wiper arm, so didn't have to shell out additional Rs.350 for that. Now after getting that arm replaced, beat is functioning properly. Driving in rains without the driver side wiper was a scary experience!
ani_meher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:14   #697
BHPian

Angry Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Took my brothers XKR out for a late night show to Chennai's biggest mall called Express Avenue. Came back from the movie to find someone had keyed the hood of the car.

The photo was taken after all the polishing I could possibly do to reduce the effect.
Whoever keyed the car should be real proud. Sad really.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-201306170685.jpg  

BraveArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 10:00   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveArc View Post
Took my brothers XKR out for a late night show to Chennai's biggest mall called Express Avenue. Came back from the movie to find someone had keyed the hood of the car.
Only one word comes to my mind - Jealousy.

And i wish you were able to catch the vandal and break his fingers.

Do take the car to a 3M outlet and have them attend to the damage.

My Ritz suffered the same fate, though not deliberate but from a careless biker at my office parking.

The 3M folks were able to remove the scratch almost completely. See my ownership thread for more info.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 14:08   #699
BHPian

Default Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Only one word comes to my mind - Jealousy.

And i wish you were able to catch the vandal and break his fingers.

Do take the car to a 3M outlet and have them attend to the damage.

My Ritz suffered the same fate, though not deliberate but from a careless biker at my office parking.

The 3M folks were able to remove the scratch almost completely. See my ownership thread for more info.
I took it to a similar place to 3M called Car Cares which is where most exotic car owners in Chennai take their cars for cleaning and polishing, the vandal made a very deep scratch.
Only solution is repainting the entire hood apparently and that is simply way too expensive.
You know, Most of these super car owners always take their cars for a ride and go back home, I thought you never really get to enjoy the car this way so the one time I decide to actually use the car to go somewhere, this happens. Never making that mistake again.
BraveArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 15:57   #700
Senior - BHPian

India it is always the case of criminal insane jealousy. As long as they are not caught, or detected our Indian cowards will go to any extend to damage, spoil the car they are jealous of. As a user of an expensive car/super car/bike, you have to live with this reality.
Dont take your car out, like a normal car, thinking you can park in a mall and watch a movie for example, unless you have secured parking with security, it is better to leave the car with a chauffer. Also not to drive/ride the vehicle in peak traffic, unless you want urchins trying to scratch the paint with a Rs5 coin, scooterists/bikers trying to rub and scratch the car etc etc....
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 16:14   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
India it is always the case of criminal insane jealousy. As long as they are not caught, or detected our Indian cowards will go to any extend to damage, spoil the car they are jealous of. As a user of an expensive car/super car/bike, you have to live with this reality.
I wonder what kind of happiness these folks get by such acts. By the way these acts are not confined to India alone. Quite common in other countries as well. Here is a picture of what happened to my friendís 1-series, when parked outside her momís apartment here in Singapore.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-bmw-scratch.jpg  

vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 20:57   #702

Last month my car's (Figo) rear windshield was broken when I had parked in front of my house. It was broken by some culprits in broad daylight when I was in office. When asked about this to the neighbours, they informed they did not see anyone. I could not do much but replace the glass immediately. No place is safe when such anti social elements are on the prowl.
bikerboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 08:12   #703
BHPian

I have been lazy to park my cars inside our gates especially after coming home late from work. I generally leave them on the road However, there has been instances of miscreants scratching the car. This has happened on both my car as well as my wife's. In one case some idiot had used a sandpaper to rub the car paint. In another case, they used some sharp object like a chisel to make lot of dots. This has happened 4 to 5 times over past 6 months and only at night probably after 12. Now we park our car inside the compound. Sadism at its best!! However, i just want to wake up one night hold on to the guy that is doing and give him the same treatment (chisel, sandpaper treatment)
kiranknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 09:38   #704
BHPian

I'm not sure if this vandalism, but here goes anyway.

My friend had gone to FBar on Asgar Ali Road in Bangalore yesterday. This was around 8pm. When he came out around 11:30 when the club closed, he found his left front window broken and a homeless-looking, drunk guy inside passed out inside. He called the bouncers to help him out with the guy, and called the cops and his dad.

This is brings me to the question - is it really that easy to break open the window of a car with no one noticing? Or are us Bangaloreans just that apathetic?
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 11:28   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I'm not sure if this vandalism, but here goes anyway.

My friend had gone to FBar on Asgar Ali Road in Bangalore yesterday. This was around 8pm. When he came out around 11:30 when the club closed, he found his left front window broken and a homeless-looking, drunk guy inside passed out inside. He called the bouncers to help him out with the guy, and called the cops and his dad.

This is brings me to the question - is it really that easy to break open the window of a car with no one noticing? Or are us Bangaloreans just that apathetic?
Whoa! Thats something I am hearing for the 1st time. Why would a drunk guy break open a car amd sit inside? Was anything missing from the car, ICE etc.

What does the police have to say?

If the car had a security system, it should have atleast caught the attention of the bystanders. Were there no guards near the bar? Also, the night time and the area(lonely? I have no idea about it) might have played a role in no one spotting it.

I hope your friend is not troubled much by the cops.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote