Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th September 2016, 08:09   #901
BHPian

Default re: Car Vandalism!

Its infuriating to see vandals who may not be able to afford even the downpayment for a car, damage the paint.
I had seen somewhere in this thread, how one BHPian had parked his car and went to the ATM and caught one vandal red handed damaging his car. He gave him some nice slaps and made him pay for the damage. Hope we get more incidents like these.

The car is apparently not safe even in the apartment's basement seeing from some of the posts in this thread. I think a car cover at all times it is parked is a good detterent. I know it is a pain to take off and put the cover everytime, but the only way we can protect our priced possesions.

One more tip is to be kind to all. Do not unnecessarily pick up a fight or be rude with the maids, drivers, cleaning boys or security guys in your or neighbouring apartments. Being from the lower strata, they will not hesitate to get back at you by causing damage and vandalising your vehicle.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 09:03   #902
BHPian

Default re: Car Vandalism!

Maybe, right after vehicle is delivered, we should get an extra layer of clear coat sprayed + paint protection film.

And if this becomes popular (like many people get underbody anti rust coating), the cost might just become affordable!
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 23:18   #903
Senior - BHPian

Default Vandalism at a Hotel - Chennai

Hi Everyone,

I had temporarily relocated to Chennai on professional grounds.

I drove down to Chennai as I did not like the idea of leaving my car behind at Bangalore, especially because my car would otherwise have to be parked in an open space. Furthermore, I may only be able to return to Bangalore on a monthly basis, hence leaving the car unattended seemed a bad idea for me.

I was provided initial accommodation at the Hotel and I had made special requests to my company that the place should have good and safe parking space (even if I wont get a good room ).

I was pretty happy with the parking though it was narrow as it was fully covered and in a quiet location. I used to start the car, move it back and forth on 2-3 occasions during my 15 days of stay in the hotel.

Everything was fine, until the day I checked out. I was shocked to see the entire body scratched! I first saw the rear right fender scratched, deep down to the metal but did not react to it since I've seen many posts in TBHP where some jobless person might end up with such acts and I did not have time to waste on following on this.

However, it was then I'd noticed the entire body was scratched. It appears there was more than one person since the scratches were deeper on the rear right side and shallower towards the front side and bonnet. Furthermore, since the car was parked very close to the wall, it was not easily accessible for these people, hence the scratches on the left side of the vehicle is minimal.

This incident left me totally heart broken as I spend a lot of effort in maintaining my car.

Here are some pictures that should give you an idea of what happened:

I complained to the hotel management but to no avail; they are simply giving me some baseless arguments and not taking any responsibility. They're saying that it could have happened when I drove to Chennai from Bangalore. I cant imagine such an incident happening in a 5-star grade hotel!

My advice to all bhp-ians is to be real careful on where you park, even if its a star graded hotel or apartment, because "such people" can easily find their way.

The funny part is that the hotel does not even have adequate security cameras, except one on the drive way, which can only monitor vehicles on the exit path and vehicles entering the car park. However, what happens inside the car park cannot be monitored since no camera covers that part. Its also pretty dark in that area, during evenings/nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-image001.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image003.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image005.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image007.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image009.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image011.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image013.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image015.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image017.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image019.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-image021.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by nitinbose : 28th September 2016 at 23:30.
nitinbose is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 23:33   #904

Angry Re: Vandalism at Holiday Inn Express, OMR, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post

My advice to all bhp-ians is to be real careful on where you park, even if its a star graded hotel or apartment, because "such people" can easily find their way.

The funny part is that the hotel does not even have adequate security cameras, except one on the drive way, which can only monitor vehicles on the exit path and vehicles entering the car park. However, what happens inside the car park cannot be monitored since no camera covers that part. Its also pretty dark in that area, during evenings/nights.
Very bad scratches. Sorry for whatever happened to your car. Thank you for sharing the incident, will help fellow bhpians to take caution before prolonged parking even in hotels.

Shocked to learn no CCTV cameras
sakthishanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 06:42   #905
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vandalism at a Hotel - Chennai

The approach of the hotel management is very simple - parking is at owner's risk and the hotel assumes no responsibility for any damage caused.

Get over the episode as quickly as possible and have the car's exterior treated at a good detailer.

I am no expert at this but a 2000grade emery treatment and subsequent polish should bring some relief to you(and the car !).If there are some residual scratches , just let them be.

Last edited by vigsom : 29th September 2016 at 06:43.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:27   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Everything was fine, until the day I checked out. I was shocked to see the entire body scratched! I first saw the rear right fender scratched, deep down to the metal but did not react to it since I've seen many posts in TBHP where some jobless person might end up with such acts and I did not have time to waste on following on this.
That's sad.
Can you please let us know the dates of this Incident? I ask this because I want to understand if it is anyway related to the current Kaveri river dispute and its associated problems in the two states.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 09:17   #907
BHPian

Either it can be attributed to the Kaveri imbroglio or you forgot to tip the watchman or waiter. That said you would need a single full body colour coat with clear coat too to get it to new after three colour coats in the affected area. When you do go outstation make sure that your car is as dirty as can be. Goons usually do not bother with a messed up car as they deduce that the owner is least bit bothered about the upkeep of the car. Please do tell us which hotel it was that you faced this vandalism so that we can keep away from checking into this hotel.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 29th September 2016 at 09:29.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 09:50   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakthishanmugam View Post
Thank you for sharing the incident, will help fellow bhpians to take caution before prolonged parking even in hotels.

Shocked to learn no CCTV cameras
One should take photographs of his/her car(s) and show it to the hotel management before parking, especially for long periods. I'm exploring the possibility of having a hidden camera to be placed internally, which would record such an incident or an old fashioned burglar alarm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That's sad.
Can you please let us know the dates of this Incident? I ask this because I want to understand if it is anyway related to the current Kaveri river dispute and its associated problems in the two states.
A couple of weeks ago. I do not want to mention the "dispute" here because team-bhp forum is not the place to bring in politics or related discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Either it can be attributed to the Kaveri imbroglio or you forgot to tip the watchman or waiter. That said you would need a single full body colour coat with clear coat too to get it to new after three colour coats in the affected area. When you do go outstation make sure that your car is as dirty as can be. Goons usually do not bother with a messed up car as they deduce that the owner is least bit bothered about the upkeep of the car. Please do tell us which hotel it was that you faced this vandalism so that we can keep away from checking into this hotel.
It happened at Holiday Inn Express, OMR

Having said that, what would be your take on using a car cover, especially if you're not going to use it for more than a week? Is there any type of a car cover that would have an opening for the driver door, where I may enter and start the car for a few minutes just to ensure the battery doesnt drain out?

Last edited by nitinbose : 29th September 2016 at 09:59.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:07   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I had temporarily relocated to Chennai on professional grounds.
However, it was then I'd noticed the entire body was scratched. It appears there was more than one person since the scratches were deeper on the rear right side during evenings/nights.
Please try insurance claim method. Probably the best way since it is a high end car.
More worthwhile than trying to get the Hotel to accept.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:14   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago. I do not want to mention the "dispute" here because team-bhp forum is not the place to bring in politics or related discussions.
Agreed Political discussions are not allowed on TBHP. But without discussing Politics too we can still discuss these issues. it has been discussed at length in threads like "Rants about Bangalore traffic"

With you having given the time, I feel that your car may have unfortunately been a target of this unnecessary and directionless hatred towards fellow countrymen.

Anyway, are you getting it painted? will you claim insurance (you should IMO)?
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:24   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please try insurance claim method. Probably the best way since it is a high end car.
More worthwhile than trying to get the Hotel to accept.
The discussions are in progress though they're still on denial. I doubt insurance works here, since most insurance policy documents clearly mention painting is not covered. I may be wrong here and enlightenment may be required.

Quote:
With you having given the time, I feel that your car may have unfortunately been a target of this unnecessary and directionless hatred towards fellow countrymen.
Quite the possibility, furthermore, they not have much time, since the LHS which was pretty close to the wall is pretty much untouched, so is 50% of the roof.

Quote:
Anyway, are you getting it painted? will you claim insurance (you should IMO)?
I am trying various options, dont know a good garage to approach as well as I'm pretty new here.

How is it to drive a "KA" registered vehicle in Chennai, what are the risks?
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 13:37   #912
BHPian

Default Re: Car Vandalism!

Had the left hand side wing mirror on my Altis snapped off by a pesky kid while the car was parked on the road. It seems the kid wanted to see his reflection and tried to open the mirror manually (they are the electric fold/open type). End result - he ended up yanking it off before my driver could intervene.

A tight slap would have taught him a lesson but all said and done, he is just a kid. I blame the parents for not teaching them proper manners/etiquette.

This is all I could do afterwards -
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 19:26   #913
h14
BHPian

Sorry to see your plight :( Hurts to see such things happen.
Quote:

I am trying various options, dont know a good garage to approach as well as I'm pretty new here.
If you are fine with a regular garage, try SMK auto. Search the forum for details and contact info. You can refer my name too if needed. Do PM me if you need any help to get in touch with him.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...s-chennai.html (Car maintenance & repairs - SMK Automobiles (Chennai))

Last edited by h14 : 30th September 2016 at 19:29.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 21:22   #914
BHPian

After going through this thread Im wondering if people who park often in public places and leave their car unattended for long should opt for a full car PPF. It might be expensive but it will keep the paint in good shape for a few years. The good thing is that the film appears to scratch but protects the paint below so it will 'satisfy' the miscreant that tried to scratch the car by showing a visible 'scratch'.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:55   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Sorry to see your plight :( Hurts to see such things happen.

If you are fine with a regular garage, try SMK auto. Search the forum for details and contact info. You can refer my name too if needed. Do PM me if you need any help to get in touch with him.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...s-chennai.html (Car maintenance & repairs - SMK Automobiles (Chennai))
I have approached Expert Spanners, lets see their outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
After going through this thread Im wondering if people who park often in public places and leave their car unattended for long should opt for a full car PPF. It might be expensive but it will keep the paint in good shape for a few years. The good thing is that the film appears to scratch but protects the paint below so it will 'satisfy' the miscreant that tried to scratch the car by showing a visible 'scratch'.
What would be the cost of doing the film and who does it? I'm aware of 3M but that's costlier than repainting the car.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote