Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th December 2016, 14:43   #931
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My car (New Ford Figo) was vandalised - Need advise!

Sorry to see this. You can check what other people have done in this related thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...dalism-62.html (Car Vandalism!)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 14:46   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethanprao View Post
Some low-life scratched all over my car when it was parked in the Bangalore town-hall area a week ago
Happened to by Dzire three years ago, when it was practically brand new, worse part is that it happened in my building, in its parking slot. Felt like doing this to those fellows.

Coming back to the topic, have to tried taking them off through rubbing compound, trying waxpol or formula 1.

Also the place where it happened, are you going to be parking your car in that place regularly ? if so, watch out for some guy with a personal vendetta (99% sure that was my case).

I have left it as it is, because I know they will come back again, also it wasn't worth losing NCB for this particular job.

You have calculated that it will cost you 3-4k if you go in for a full claim but you also need to keep in mind the loss of your NCB.

Take it to a FNG, compare it with ASS, total cost vs output.

Then take a call.
nitishk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 14:59   #933
VMC
BHPian

Sorry to see this but this looks like street kids trying their work of art.
If you are in BLR, try Trend Automobiles once for a quote. In most of the cases they will charge lot lesser than ASS and you may end up not claiming insurance at all.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html (Body Repair & Painting, Glass Repair, Detailing etc. - Trend Automobiles (Bangalore))

Last edited by VMC : 29th December 2016 at 15:01.
VMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 15:50   #934
Senior - BHPian

Before you consider re-painting the entire car, can you check with Ford A.S.S. if they can touch up all the scratches. If they don't, maybe a FNG or automobile paint shop.

They generally have small quantities of paints for doing a touch up for small scratches and dents and it may be worthwhile asking them if they have your car's shade and trying it on a less noticeable area.

This, of course, isn't a solution of sorts, nor is it permanent. It'll be a quick fix to an otherwise expensive solution. Especially, since there's no guarantee (unfortunately), such a thing won't happen again.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 17:00   #935
BHPian

Sorry to see this Chetan.
This happened to my neighbor's one month old Vento when it was parked in his villa. That was a clear case of vendetta and most of us knew who the culprit was but couldn't prove anything. He had to go for a full body repaint including the rooftop. The paint job was not satisfactory. He kept the car for a couple of years and replaced it with another Vento.

In his case, the scratches were so deep that the metal was visible. In your case only the primer is visible (correct me if I am wrong). Why don't you try one of those magic scratch remover pens that they have in Naaptol, Paytm, Flipkart etc. It will be nice if it works, and even if it doesn't you don't lose much.
Enobarbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 17:05   #936
BHPian

Since the damage is deep in the paint-layer, no amount of touch-up is going to help. In fact it will end up looking worse.
As suggested by other members, please go to a reputed body-shop to get the damaged area painted as a whole. I am sure it should not cost 25K, outside Ford.

Regarding your apprehension of the body-fit, as far as I know, they don't remove the doors or fenders before painting. If at all anything is removed, that should be the bumpers and/or the lamps. And if they do remove and refit, since there seems to be no structural damage incurred, I don't see why it should not have the same fit as initially.

PS: No, magic scratch-pens don't work they way they show on TV.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 17:08   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’m confused. I feel so bad for the car that I’m very much inclined to go for Option #2.
First, try to get these removed using rubbing compound from a good paint shop or you can even try 3M guys. Even if they say these are deep ask them to try at one place.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 18:03   #938
BHPian

Hey Chethanprao !

A full body repaint will lose the factory precision and true charm of the car.

Try correcting the scratches with rubbing compound and polish. A competent Paint/Detailing guy can reduce the visibility of scratches.
You can look at Bangalore Directory and talk to experts.

procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 18:13   #939
BHPian

Why not try a scratch removal pen? You did mention that the scratches are deep, but give it a try.

If you want to paint it, I would suggest you go to Sai Colorium (look up Team-BHP) if you live in south Bangalore. They are well priced and do a good job.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 20:21   #940
Distinguished - BHPian

If you park at the same place, you may face the problem again. Unless and until you have a proper parking where you can track the activities, there is no point in going for a full repaint and spending so much money on it.

My suggestion is

1. Get a proper rubbing done with rubbing compound. Might tone it down if not clear it up

2. Get a scratch pen and try it. If you have a lot of patience and bit of experience, it might give a very good result. Start with smallest patch and see the results before trying the longer ones.

3. You know what to do!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 20:45   #941

Thank you all very much for your replies. Really felt good to read through your suggestions and I will consider each one of them. I also feel sorry for those of you who have gone through this yourselves.

Quote:
If you are in BLR, try Trend Automobiles once for a quote. In most of the cases they will charge lot lesser than ASS and you may end up not claiming insurance at all.
I will surely check out other body repair and detailing shops and particularly Trend automobiles as suggested by @VMC

Quote:
Coming back to the topic, have to tried taking them off through rubbing compound, trying waxpol or formula 1.
Quote:
First, try to get these removed using rubbing compound from a good paint shop or you can even try 3M guys. Even if they say these are deep ask them to try at one place.
Quote:
Try correcting the scratches with rubbing compound and polish.
Quote:
1. Get a proper rubbing done with rubbing compound. Might tone it down if not clear it up
I know the scratches don't look that deep on camera but they are. I got it inspected at 3M and Ford A.S.S and they both said it won't be possible to remove them or even subside them using rubbing compound. Its not just the coat thats gone, in some places the paint itself is chipped off.

Quote:
You have calculated that it will cost you 3-4k if you go in for a full claim but you also need to keep in mind the loss of your NCB.
Yes, this is something I have to keep in mind. I will surely weigh this in if I have to claim my insurance.

I will post back as soon as I have an update, thank you all once again for your kind and thoughtful suggestions.
chethanprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 20:46   #942
Senior - BHPian

Scratches are always a painful sight for us BHPians, and the magnitude of pain increases several fold when it happens on a brand new car.

Most of the scratches look like clear coat damage to me. Kindly go through this video, I am sure you'll be able to remove some of the scratches on your own. The deep ones on your bonnet will need some clever touch up, and then once the paint dries, wet sanding it will remove 90% of the blemish.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 29th December 2016 at 20:48.
Leoshashi is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 21:50   #943
BHPian

Same sort of thing was done by some kids during last Durga Puja on my Jazz. I went to a local garage for some compound treatment. The mechanic did applied rubbing compound and buffed it. Since, the scratch was down to the primer level, the activity was not of much help.
Next day, I ordered Formula 1 from Amazon and tried to do on my own. The entire car got an outstanding shine, but the scratches were still visible on the bonnet. Saw a video on YouTube wherein the bloke doing the activity used sand paper for rubbing the scratched area and then applied coat of wax and buffed it and guess what, it worked!
Perhaps, doing some local research will for the city of Bangalore might help you out. Do try sketch scratch remover too.
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:12   #944
BHPian

Default Re: Car Vandalism!

I found this detailed guide about fixing deep scratches, which even has information to fix very deep scratches right to the base coat, all with working just on the scratched area and not the surrounding area.

http://highperformancejunkies.com/ho...eep-scratches/
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 23:46   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethanprao View Post
What do you guys think? I highly appreciate any inputs
I can empathize with you Chethan. The scratches look bad. Since you mentioned that it's a new car, I'm not sure what advise I can give you. You can check with Ford A.S.S and other places as to what can be done.

If it were an older car.., like what I have - a Getz CRDi 2008, I would have suggested you to use the Bumper app from bumper.com . I have used their service and am pretty happy with the results. Two panels (bonnet and front left door) costed 4998 bucks. Hyundai A.S.S was charging a whooping 9k for a single panel. Add on - The paint comes with a warranty of one year. I can share pictures of the panels before and after the paint-job if needed.
vnidta is online now   Reply With Quote