Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th July 2008, 10:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Bangalore Police in action:Catches the bikes/cars with high beam on.

Y'day Bangalore Police made a surprise checks on the bikes and cars who were driving with high beam on. They caught hold of people on MG Road and fined them Rs.100. Even though the law states that we should not use low beam inside city limits, the police had not cracked down on the people using high beams during night times. Y'day was a day most of the motorists dreamed off. Police conducted surprise checks and fined the people violating of law. Even though Rs.100 is a too meagre fine, it is a good start. IMO, the fine should be increased to Rs.500 from the present Rs.100 and then only these motorists will obey to traffic rules. Next offence should be to suspend the DL for about 15 days and again if they are caught violating rules, the DL should be confisciated for 3 years so that these people will not drive for 3 years and after 3 years make these people take the driving test and a fresh DL. Way to go Bangalore Police...

Source: Today's, TOI.

Motorists fined for using high beam

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: The traffic police conducted a drive against use of high beam lights in bikes and cars on Saturday night. Motorists with their high beams on had to pay a penalty of Rs 100. The rule against high beam lights was framed six years back.
The drive conducted on M G Road and other areas took motorists by surprise. Police have asked travellers to stick to rules and drive with low beam lights.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

These actions are only for the time being. We've seen this before too. End of the month money making plans.

Though I admit. People use high beam without any consideration and they should be fined heavily.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I got stopped on Infantry Road late last night. My headlight beam is misaligned ever since we put in 90/100 Osrams, so the low looked kind of high. My windows were down so the policeman poked his head inside, looked at the instrument cluster and shouted back at his boss "Sir he is not on high beam". The Inspector obviously had to check once again, which meant he poked his head in too - he then said "Sir please check your headlamp alignment or you will be stopped every time we check".

Very polite and well mannered cops who didnt insist on speaking Kannada (my kannada is very very broken, even though I can understand the spoken language).
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

and the police makes this judgement based on their own opinion of an oncoming vehicle or is there a scientific way. Am sure all vehicles with more GC will be considered at highbeam since it will hit the eyes directly, even at low beams.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good move!

Also have seen some cars having too powerful lights, esp the once which are white... no idea what they are but they distract big time!

The fine amount at present is too less...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
These actions are only for the time being. We've seen this before too. End of the month money making plans.
Couldnt agree more ! Month end is the time cops dig out lot of rules and regulations that sleep in the books. Few days of fining may not make an impact too. If they are keen on keeping everything under the rule book, such actions should be seen throughout the city area, not in few selected spots. Good move if done with clean intention though
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:57   #7
BHPian

This is great news!

Let's hope that this type of enforcement catches on in all parts of the country, especially Delhi.

Rs.100 is appropriate as a fine. Just the fact that motorists will be stopped and fined will greatly reduce this unsafe practice.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 11:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

At least this will make people stop and think, especially those people who permanently leave their lights in highbeam.

That reminds me, I too need to fix the Jeep headlights, the lowbeam is not low enough as I found out in Coorg.

Meanwhile what happens to xenon headlights, will that draw cops wrath too? I am sure theMAG wants to know the answer.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 11:15   #9
BHPian

Hope this happens here in chennai too.
Even on neon/sodium vapor lit streets most drivers are using the Hi-beam.

I really cannot understand what they gain as the visibility is very good with the neon/sodium vapor lights alone.

I wish they do it here to.
But man if you don't know tamil, god help you. as they will fine you (more like ripping you off) choices given 1500 fine or give 500. usually will settle in for 200 (car), 100 (bike) max till day 260 (it was all the money I has in my purse )

you do learn from mistakes right, so I don't carry much cash that is why he got only 260.

compared to cops here, cops back home are angels.

Last edited by yzfrj : 20th July 2008 at 11:16.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 11:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
At least this will make people stop and think, especially those people who permanently leave their lights in highbeam.
I guarantee you Sharath, no such thing will happen. This kind of sense comes from within. No matter what and how much is the fine. There are plenty of other examples but I don't want this thread to go off topic..
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 11:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Finally, something useful from BLR traffic cops. High beam is a menace and fines are a good way to bring it home - IMHO, many drivers don't even know that high beam is illegal in city limits...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 11:33   #12
BHPian

End of Month plans OR the quarterly plans....this is defnitely a welcome sign. We individuals cannot take on all the motorists on "high's".

Happy that the police has taken up a initiative.

Incidentally, it is the literate massess who are a nuisance in the city (they intentionally switch on high beams) & I do not blame the poor cabbies for the same.
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 11:35   #13
BHPian

Have you seen the cops stop any cabbies? The cabs always drive on high-beam and it is horrible not just for on-coming traffic, but also hurts through the rear-view/orv mirror.
The cops are only bothered about people who, if stopped, can cough up either a fine or a bribe. Either they are scared of these cabbies or they just don't care.
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 12:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Finally, some right move from the Bangy cops!

Some people just do not know that there is a way to set the light to low beam!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 12:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Either they are scared of these cabbies or they just don't care.
Have you witnessed this by any chance?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote