Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th August 2008, 10:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

I feel that we need much more governance and police monitoring at signals. I have seen good punishment rendered in Delhi which is very effective. Cops catch hold of the driver who has broken a traffic rule and bash him up so that he will never again break another rule. I would like to quote a saying in Sanskrit "Dhandam Dasha Gunnam Bhaveth" (A stick can bring out 10 good qualities - A very poor translation though)
. THis is an extreme measure but helps prevent accidents.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 11:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I would like to quote a saying in Sanskrit "Dhandam Dasha Gunnam Bhaveth" (A stick can bring out 10 good qualities - A very poor translation though)
. THis is an extreme measure but helps prevent accidents.
Absolutely right. The Police needs to beat these drivers then and there itself, cancel their licenses and put in jail for 5 years (without bail) so that this will be a lesson to other drivers.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 12:14   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

gd saab, I agree yaar. Now now, I just meant it as a figure of speech!!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 12:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen good punishment rendered in Delhi which is very effective. Cops catch hold of the driver who has broken a traffic rule and bash him up so that he will never again break another rule.
Is this why Delhi has such exemplary traffic discipline?!
And a shocking number of road related fatalities!
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 01:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ouch!! That hurt.

Guys, remember, when you are first at a traffic signal and there is no one behind you, PLEASE put on your hazard lights.
That should be helpful at night I suppose. Although it doesn't matter where you are in the traffic - Front, Middle or Behind. Read about my incident below.

About 3 years ago (I know long time now!), I was waiting at a traffic light in Delhi Cant( Next to Subroto Park) to turn left. My car was in the 3rd lane from right and with the slow moving traffic, I had two car spaces ahead. I don't know what possessed me, but I moved towards the next lane towards the left instead of moving forward. An autorickshaw duly pulled from my lane and into those empty spaces to go forward.

5 seconds later I catch a glimpse..a TATA truck comes speeding past me in my right side lane and I am like.. what the? brake! and Bang into the autorickshaw.

My Mum, Naani and I looked at each other dumbfounded and thanked God for the lucky escape. Luckily no one was sitting in the autorickshaw behind. I can never forget that day. Had I not moved from that lane, it would have been us that truck would have smashed into.
Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 07:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Do not follow the rules 100%. It may kill you.

You've to always keep an eye on whats happening behind you, while driving in this mad city. I look for speeding vehicles behind me always before stopping, and adjust my stopping accordingly. If you are not in a position to stop, don't stop.. follow the general flow of vehicles. If you can stop, then follow the rules.

The rule which is applicable all the time is:
* Aim your vehicle in the general direction you want to go, and try to fill in the gaps you see in front of your vehicle, with your vehicle. This works. []
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 18:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is a real tragedy, feel really sorry for the kids - a long & difficult life ahead of them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yaar, that is the reason why I request my friends to blip the brakes MUCH BEFORE the signal, and see RVM before actually fully braking. You never know when the hero behind you notices you too late, but his 2ton SUV doesnt.
Even when I'm in my SUV, I follow the same, just so that the 2 wheelers writhing & gyrating behind me do not take out my tail lights. I also keep the Brake pedal depressed firmly (so that 3 sets of lights are blazing brightly) when I'm waiting at a traffic signal at a less populated intersection during the day (don't use the hand brake much any longer).

Quote:
I have seen good punishment rendered in Delhi which is very effective. Cops catch hold of the driver who has broken a traffic rule and bash him up so that he will never again break another rule.
You mean Delhi as in the NCR? I thought it was the other way round here - the Cops get bashed up sometimes when they are trying to implement the law

Last edited by suman : 30th August 2008 at 19:00.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 19:25   #23
BANNED

Tragic incident.

But don't the people see their rear view mirror and check whether the vehicle behind can stop or not? Though this not required by law, its a good practice to check rear view mirror and then stop.

But required by the law is the driver indicates to the vehicle behind that he is stopping. All media did was to print, "Following traffic rules a problem, it turns out to be fatal for couple". Did they check if the couple indeed signaled the vehicles behind to stop? Or they just stopped abruptly?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 00:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

But don't the people see their rear view mirror and check whether the vehicle behind can stop or not? Though this not required by law, its a good practice to check rear view mirror and then stop.

In case of someone stopping in planned manner, then its OK to see in the rear view mirror and then analyze whether the vehicle behind can stop in time or not. But what in case of emergency braking ?

In case of emergency braking, if one tries to look into rear view mirror, then by that time he/she would have rear ended the one in front.

My point is that its not always possible to just have a glance and then brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

But required by the law is the driver indicates to the vehicle behind that he is stopping. All media did was to print, "Following traffic rules a problem, it turns out to be fatal for couple". Did they check if the couple indeed signaled the vehicles behind to stop? Or they just stopped abruptly?
How to indicate the person behind you if you are riding a two wheeler ?
Or how to indicate the person behind you if you are driving with windows rolled up and A/C running ?

Due to existing road conditions and road users, one has to stop abruptly.
Its next to impossible to indicate the driver/rider behind that you are stopping. The only indication is tail light. Mostly in case of two wheelers they are fitted with 5W/11W tail/stop lamps even though the spec sheet and the red tail light cover has 5W/22W written on it.

The matter here is that one is supposed to maintain a very safe distance and be alert. Mostly I have seen people taking about a second to brake after the vehicle in front has braked. The problem is that mostly people are not attentive while driving.

I feel that now its high time government makes some decesions making bring tail lamps may be LED to alert other.
This is a bad incident and we must learn to be more attentive and alert while using the road.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 00:57   #25
BANNED

One of the golden rule of driving (courtesy, rks) is that you must never make other vehicles brake abruptly.

When someone is approaching a signal, its obvious that the signal can turn red. He must factor that in his driving - slow down, slow those behind him gradually.

He cannot be surprised at the light turning red from green and brake abruptly, surprising those behind him.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 02:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Those behind him can see the signal too.

There is a maxim that I was taught in UK: If you drive into the back of somebody it is your fault. It is always your fault. It is never their fault. Never, Ever.

Why? Because you should have been aware of the road conditions, approaching junctions, signals, whatever, but, above all, you should not have been driving so close that you could not stop.

So, it is your fault, even if they guy in front slams on his brakes and screeches to a halt for no reason whatsoever --- it's your fault if you hit him.

If you drive into the back of an already stationary vehicle, there is not even a question to ask.

Vehicles brake hard for reasons not apparent to others often, for dogs, children, pedestrians --- and in this country, even at a green signal because there's someone not stopping at their red.

I think it is a pretty good maxim.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 07:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Do not follow the rules 100%. It may kill you.

You've to always keep an eye on whats happening behind you, while driving in this mad city. I look for speeding vehicles behind me always before stopping, and adjust my stopping accordingly. If you are not in a position to stop, don't stop.. follow the general flow of vehicles. If you can stop, then follow the rules.

The rule which is applicable all the time is:
* Aim your vehicle in the general direction you want to go, and try to fill in the gaps you see in front of your vehicle, with your vehicle. This works. []
I fully agree and that's the principle I follow (also, you don't want to argue with somone driving a 30 ton trailer truck :P).

OT: From the way you've put the smiley, I guessing you've been orkuting too much
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:16   #28
BANNED

Poor things, what a waste of life!!
Don't ever let go anyone who was about to harm your vehicle because you followed the rules. Just scream at him madly with a contorted face, of course with your windows down.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 13:45   #29
BHPian

Atleast whenever the possibility of crossing intersections with sparse traffic arises, I slow down even if the signal is green so that all eventualities are factored in. Secondly it is not a bad idea to show your hand out upright vertically like few taxi drivers so, so that those behind you get an idea that you are going to stop quickly. But I am not sure how this could be done easily on 2 wheelers ( Ideally 2 wheelers should be running on left most lane which would avoid many speeding vehicles).
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 14:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...If you drive into the back of somebody it is your fault. It is always your fault. It is never their fault. Never, Ever....
Well, this is the rule that is followed in most of the developed, or rather, places where rules have been well thought are following.

When one is behind another vehicle, it is your responsibility to maintain proper braking distance and anticipate a surprise. Rear ending another vehicle is always your fault, period.

And come on, how many variables can one look at when driving - signal light, dumb auto driver, guys running across road, beggers on road, people driving on the wrong side and you want to add the traffic behind you also to this equation?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote