Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd August 2008, 16:53   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I agree but not 100%. But when you compare, almost 80% of women drivers will the driving the same way (or wrong way). Never follow the lane rules, driving in centre of road, not giving way even if the roads are empty in front of them. If we want to overtake, then we nave to do the same from left side which is too dangerous. This is my own experience on day in and day out. I'am not informing that men does not do this, but most of them do care fror some rules. Even the BMTC drivers do give way if we ask the way....
I think the percentage of men following the rules in india will be the same as women. We tend to notice poor driving in women more, so we exaggerate the problem. in reality, they are probably just as bad/good as men are.

about stereotyping, I have one stereotype about women drivers- they are far less prone to road rage/ego clashes. And they usually dont enter mine is bigger than yours situations like we men do.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 17:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I think the percentage of men following the rules in india will be the same as women. We tend to notice poor driving in women more, so we exaggerate the problem. in reality, they are probably just as bad/good as men are.

about stereotyping, I have one stereotype about women drivers- they are far less prone to road rage/ego clashes. And they usually dont enter mine is bigger than yours situations like we men do.
absolutely correct, most women are not agressive drivers like we men.One thing which hurts me the most is in our country autorickshaw,cabdrivers,and men like us too get so jealous when we see a lady driving a car we tend to trouble them this is seen specially with auto guys ,if they see a female driver they become more agressive drivers and jump in the middle of their way and act as if that poor lady came from an unknown planet
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I agree but not 100%. But when you compare, almost 80% of women drivers will the driving the same way (or wrong way). Never follow the lane rules, driving in centre of road, not giving way even if the roads are empty in front of them. If we want to overtake, then we nave to do the same from left side which is too dangerous. This is my own experience on day in and day out. I'am not informing that men does not do this, but most of them do care fror some rules. Even the BMTC drivers do give way if we ask the way....
it is the way you see it my friend. i have found it true to some extent but that is not intentional. like i mentioned in my earlier post as well that some of them gain confidence slowly and with people honking trying to cut them off and braking hard in front of them does nothing to help them out. i have seen guys also driving in the fashion mentioned by you, but i see no one complaining about it. i face it everyday in the city and the highways where some guy is driveing like he owns the place or is taking a walk in a garden. if the same thing is with a lady behind the wheel you would say Oh God! its a lady driver. so why not say oh God! its a Man driver.
the problem here is that some men (sorry to say this guys) have bigger EGO's and dont like to be shown down by a women. so you tend to notice a lady driver and pay special attention to what they are doing. you will never find a lady driver accelerateing purposely when you try to overtake her, hurling abuses and fingers at you when you honk or flash the light. Road rage and street racing just to prove whose the first at the next set of lights. i used to be like that in the earlier days of driving.
women drivers tend to teach you a lot of patience and tolerance which the men lack. that is our basic and true problem. you must remember not all fingers are the same so you have some good and some bad drivers in both Genders so it would be wrong to blame or point fingers at only the Women drivers.
Hope that my fellow Members agree and dont get offended.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:41   #19
Team-BHP Support

The vehicle my wife years to own and drive around is the Ford Endeavour. To her, given a choice, she would anyday prefer an SUV over a small car.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Why such perception exists at all ? After all an automobile is supposed to be driven and not carried around on shoulders ( even a small car is misfit for this purpose) so how does it matter if it is big or small ?

A few women in india and lot more abroad drive big vehicles.In South East Asia and even in southern Europe women in general do not have any bigger body frame then Indian women.

I request people to refrain from misguiding others by putting these kind of psychological barriers. Many people do need a big family vehical but got swayed by such advice thinking taht ladies in family can not drive them.
Vehical should be selected purely based on the needs and drivability and not based on sex of the driver.
There are 2 reasons for this. One is that women have a smaller build and muscle structure than men. So they automatically prefer smaller cars that are easier to handle. I have noticed that they all unanimously prefer tall boys for better visibility. That probably explains the SUV liking.

Second is psychological. For men a large car with big horsepower is an ego boost. Women usually go for nice interiors, safety features, convertibles and such. This is true all over the world.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd August 2008 at 20:53.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

With the kind of assistance that is available is almost all the cars in the 3+ Lakh category (Alto Lxi 3.2 L something with power steering) its not muscle that counts.

Grace sure does, Muscle NO.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 14:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

my sister has been driving our jeeps when we were at our parents place. after she got married she used to drive my BIL's Jeeps/ Gypsy/Bolero/ Scorpio now sometimes the Innova.

Its nothing to do with bone structure or any of that - its just what a person feels comfortable in.

Many ladies in the West, drive SUVs daily while their husbands drive the sedate sedans/saloons. That's why the term Soccer Moms.

However, in India, the trend has only caught on amongst the more affluent people and those who have more than one vehicle at their homes. Since the larger majority of us in India own / use one car per family, I guess it will take time for the SUV's to start getting preferred by women in general in India.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 15:02   #23
BHPian

This is totally a wrong perception created by some so called MCP. My wife drives my Scorpio as easy or better as she drives her santro. As MPower said visibility & road presence are the major reason for it.

Why men drivers & women drivers - its only drivers. some of them obey rules & some doesnt.

but when it comes to idea - its only Mansidea
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 15:22   #24
BHPian

My wife does not prefer to drive the Safari in the city only because of the parking problems, on the highway, she takes over the wheels with ease, while I have to deal with the head ache of parking the beast during trips to Commercial street/MG road (Bangalore) areas.
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
It was just an age old perception that ladies are not good drivers.
How I wish that this was reality, but believe me, the reality always points the other way.

~LT
linuxtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:18   #26
BHPian

Having read through the thread, I'd like to add a few thoughts and make few comments.

Gals driving Big cars, yes it does looks great.
I've seen lil ladies driving SUV's (Safari's, Terracan and the like) wow! looks so cool.

Grace, that is a magic only few drivers have does't matter male or female.
So I think its rather unfair to comment about all lady drivers are bad.

I've seen many good (really good) lady drivers on the road.

Really had a tough time once (a middle aged lady driving Qualis), she is really good (taking one risk too many at times, but yeah she can drive).
She had cut me off and I just wanted to see how a qualis can be that fast.
I saw it was a lady at a signal light, was shocked to tell the truth.
I just smiled and let went on.

Ladies who tend to drive big cars (here in India) seems to be good and yeah confidence does matter here.

I've seen ladies driving Private long distance bus (Cochin, Kerala), and oh boy they really know how to drive (just as fast as the "guys" but not as bad (read crazy) as the "guys")
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 18:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my sister has been driving our jeeps when we were at our parents place. after she got married she used to drive my BIL's Jeeps/ Gypsy/Bolero/ Scorpio now sometimes the Innova.

Its nothing to do with bone structure or any of that - its just what a person feels comfortable in.

Many ladies in the West, drive SUVs daily while their husbands drive the sedate sedans/saloons. That's why the term Soccer Moms.
It has to very much with physical structure. I agree it just what a person feels comfortable in but how do you explain that 99.5% of women dont feel comfortable in Jeeps. You sister is an exception but we cannot make any sweeping conclusions based on that.

As far as ladies in the west, they like crossover SUVs for the high seating position which is perceived with safety and also for good visibility. The term soccer mom is associated with minivans and not SUVs.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 18:18   #28
BHPian

my wife is equally comfortable in either of the cars we have. she doesnt however like tallboy design's (santro, wagon r etc and prefers the SUV instead... an X-trail to be precise.)
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 22:10   #29
BHPian

Ok, I guess a woman should pitch in and put her view here:

Actually, being a lady I prefer to select my car that’s based on my need (period).

On my usual days, for commuting from office I prefer a sedan. My rest of the drives include: going shopping to malls, or going vegetable market so all those areas are crowed and I prefer a car over a suv. The basic reason is: parking problem in our country.

But when I know I am going to be late while coming back from office, or when I have to drive during late hours my definite pick would be my Safari – reason safety. I personally feel safer when I am in an SUV than in a car.

Ok, now the next point.

Drivers are just drivers, no women and no men. Similarly, good drivers and bad drivers are just drivers again no women and men.

I have seen many women drivers on the road who are too conscious and nervous, and because they are too nervous they tend to drive badly. But yes there are also cases when people drive badly because they are insensitive towards the rest of the drivers. So there is always a reason behind bad driving.

And people who are insensitive towards other drivers will sooner or later get into trouble. So no sweat!
girlieonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 09:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post
I personally feel safer when I am in an SUV than in a car.

Drivers are just drivers, no women and no men. Similarly, good drivers and bad drivers are just drivers again no women and men.

And people who are insensitive towards other drivers will sooner or later get into trouble. So no sweat!
Very well written. Good to have you on board
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote