Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 10:41   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Learner's License Of Other State Valid permit to drive in BLR?

Mods: Can you kindly merge it with the appropriate thread, if any ? Couldn't find it though

Hi

Quick question from my friend. He has a Learner's license from other state. Will he be eligible to drive in Bangalore ? Will he be breaking the law.

Its known that Driver's license issued anywhere in India makes your eligible to drive anywhere in India, but what about LL?

Your thoughtful replies are eagerly awaited.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 11:25   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

Learner's licence is specific to a city and is not even valid within the other cities in that State also. it is only the permanent Driver's licence that is valid throughout India.

Well, that was the law when I with my Learner's licence issued from the Varanasti RTO came to Delhi in 1977 and applied for a permanent licence. I was told to get a permanent licence from Varanasi itself, and in the the process was informed that I could not even get a permanent licence from Ghaziabad as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hi

Quick question from my friend. He has a Learner's license from other state. Will he be eligible to drive in Bangalore ? Will he be breaking the law.

Its known that Driver's license issued anywhere in India makes your eligible to drive anywhere in India, but what about LL?

Your thoughtful replies are eagerly awaited.

Last edited by gd1418 : 27th August 2008 at 11:27.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 11:31   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

GD

Thanks for your information.

But when I was going through the rto link of Karnataka

Organisation Chart

9. Currency of learner’s licence:
- Learner’s licence is valid for the period of six months.
- This licence is valid throughout India.

Is this still applicable ? Can anyone be kind enough to confirm ?

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 27th August 2008 at 11:32.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:41   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 594
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
GD

Thanks for your information.

But when I was going through the rto link of Karnataka

Organisation Chart

9. Currency of learnerís licence:
- Learnerís licence is valid for the period of six months.
- This licence is valid throughout India.

Is this still applicable ? Can anyone be kind enough to confirm ?
Learners license is valid throughout India. But permanent license is to be got from the same place otherwise you need to apply Learners license again.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:06   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Aka,

Thanks for the information. Will convey the same to my friend.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:51   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Like already posted, Learner's license is valid all over India, but you must have a valid license holder with you all the time when you are behind the wheels.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:00   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Like already posted, Learner's license is valid all over India, but you must have a valid license holder with you all the time when you are behind the wheels.
Does this apply for two wheelers also ?

I know that it applies for 4 wheelers ? But two wheelies ... Thats a Question mark for me. I am dumbfounded when asked
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:04   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Does this apply for two wheelers also ?

I know that it applies for 4 wheelers ? But two wheelies ... Thats a Question mark for me. I am dumbfounded when asked
Yes. Irrespective of the number of wheels you should have a valid license holder with you
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:05   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Yes...it applies to all type of LL's (be it 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler) you get from RTOs.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:14   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Bingo,

Then it appears that my friend needs to have his buddy with him always. Good News. Else he may have to pay the penalty, isnt it
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Yes. Pay fine. but how much? Well, depends on what mood the cop is But, minimum should be 100 I guess.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 16:22   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Just saw my friends LL. It appears that the permanent residence is one state and temporary another state. Will that be an issue if he needs to get DL. He has all the documents of permanent state.

Why is it that I always get to see such surprises I dont understand

Waiting for your replies
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 20:21   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

Thank you all for the update. I wasn't aware of this. This must have been introduced later. Makes sense though. What intrigues me is that if the LL is valid throughout India, then what is the hitch in getting a permanent licence from anywhere as long as one completes the documentation formality of that region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

- Learnerís licence is valid for the period of six months.
- This licence is valid throughout India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Learners license is valid throughout India. But permanent license is to be got from the same place otherwise you need to apply Learners license again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Like already posted, Learner's license is valid all over India,
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 21:08   #14
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thank you all for the update. I wasn't aware of this. This must have been introduced later. Makes sense though. What intrigues me is that if the LL is valid throughout India, then what is the hitch in getting a permanent licence from anywhere as long as one completes the documentation formality of that region?
Whoever told you that rules are to facilitate simple life? That is the way it is buddy. LL is valid all over India, no matter where you get it. But you have to go back to the same RTO for your permanent license.

AFAIK, you cannot get a LL from one RTO and go for your permanent license to another RTO in the same city.

Cheers,

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 27th August 2008 at 21:10.
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 21:09   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Learner's license is NOT for driving! It is for learning.

For that:

1) A person with a valid DL should accompany the learner in the vehicle.
2) Only allowed during daytime. (Upto 6 PM I guess)
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread amitoj Route / Travel Queries 460 20th August 2017 18:40
How to renew driving license issued in other state? anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 87 2nd April 2017 16:48
Newbie would like to apply for learner license here !!! Kmurthy Introduce yourself 3 21st September 2008 10:11
BLR-HYD-BLR-CHENNAI-BLR - Road conditions report PatchyBoy Travelogues 8 6th July 2008 17:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks