Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th November 2012, 07:38   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 360 spin in swift after tyre burst - Phew!!! was close!!!

I would say due to our bad road conditions tyres take a lot of abuse and all of it might not be visible externally. A weakened/ slightly damaged sidewall may go unnoticed, and when tyres are loaded to there max potential, then any weakness will result in a catastrophic failure.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 07:53   #62
BHPian

A very scary accident indeed and I suspect the culprit to be over-inflated tyres+speed with an overload. With normal air, when tyres are over-inflated, on a hot sunny day when the tarmac is melting, with an overload of passengers, it is a recipe for disaster.

This is precisely the reason why I switched to Nitrogen long back. Tyres run cooler and also the tyres run lighter. Also, nitrogen doesn't expand like oxygen in normal air, hence the side walls are not under cornering stress. I seriously believe this accident could have been avoided if the tyres had nitrogen in them.
swiftdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 14:39   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
A very scary accident indeed and I suspect the culprit to be over-inflated tyres+speed with an overload. With normal air, when tyres are over-inflated, on a hot sunny day when the tarmac is melting, with an overload of passengers, it is a recipe for disaster.

This is precisely the reason why I switched to Nitrogen long back. Tyres run cooler and also the tyres run lighter. Also, nitrogen doesn't expand like oxygen in normal air, hence the side walls are not under cornering stress. I seriously believe this accident could have been avoided if the tyres had nitrogen in them.
Hi, i think the above statement is incorrect.
Overinflation will not lead to tyre burst, as compared to underinflation.
Maybe culprit is under-inflation.
Nitrogen filling of typre need not necessarly lead to cooler running of tyres.
Nitrogen filling benefits are not all signficant enough as compared to compressed air.
The actual culprit might be tyre might itself might be weak frm either sidewall bulge/wear and tear and is not noticed easily.
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 16:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My two cents - must fill 2 to 3 psi less than reccommended during summers and on long distance, because due to continuous friction the tyre temperatures raise thus increasing the pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Tyre pressures also change when you check them in heated state. Best bet would be to check air pressure when the tyres are cold with minimal running. Also the experts here have always recommended to have 2/3 psi lesser than normal when you are doing highway runs as the heat in the tyres tend to be more on account of longer and consistently higher speeds than city drives.

OT: Does anyone recommend Nitrogen filled air as a safer bet especially for tubeless & alloys

@Dream : Good to hear that you were safe after what looks like a close shave. The entire stretch between Krishnagiri and Tindivanam has some lovely curves. There is one curve which is between Krishnagiri & R S Mathur on this stretch which ends on a bridge, this one goes on and on, during my last visit I had seen barricades before the curve to prevent accidents, a good thing to do.
I think Nitrogen will aid as the heating element will be less compared to normal air.

I am using Nitrogen on my Alloys for couple of years. I used to maintain a PSI of 30 on all tires.

Anyway happy to hear that you and others escaped unhurt. You are really lucky.
BinFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:46   #65
BHPian

This happened during January 2013 on NH4 after Chitradurga. Stock (165/80/R14) JK tyres on my Swift. There were 4 adults, 2 year old kid and boot full of luggage. Tyre pressure at 36 (front) & 33 (rear) checked previous night.

It was about 9AM, the car was descending a bridge at about 110 kmph, felt a puncture in the front left tyre, before I could react the left front of the car sunk to the left, took about 40 - 50 metres to bring it to halt. I never let the car slip of the tarmac all through. Left fender (where the mud flop is fixed) damaged, took the car to an A$$ at Davangere, had it checked for any other internal damage and proceeded only after SA's assurance.

Purchased a new tyre, dumped the damaged tyre there (Davangere) and moved on. Have not escalated this matter either.
Attached Images

Last edited by Swifdeep : 8th March 2013 at 15:47.
Swifdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:52   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
This happened during January 2013 on NH4 after Chitradurga. Stock (165/80/R14) JK tyres on my Swift. There were 4 adults, 2 year old kid and boot full of luggage. Tyre pressure at 36 (front) & 33 (rear) checked previous night.
How many kms had this tyre covered? Was there any specific reason to use over inflated tyres?
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
How many kms had this tyre covered? Was there any specific reason to use over inflated tyres?
Tyres had done 20000kms. I went by the recommended pressure (given on the sticker in B Pillar) also checked about this with the Sales person while taking delivery of the vehicle.
Swifdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 16:10   #68
Team-BHP Support

Swifdeep, thats a scary incident and glad to know all is well.

I can never understand the reason for recommending different air pressure for front and back?

Have been using same air pressure for both front and back which is 32PSI Nitrogen. Even though the air pressure reduces about 5-6psi in 2 months, I make it a point ( if I have time) to check it once a month or latest 45 days.

Besides above, I always ensure to check air-pressure before embarking on a long trip. I treat this almost as important as wearing a seat-belt.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 21:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

All advocates of Nitrogen in tires will be pleased to remember that normal air (which is what we breathe, and fill into our tires) consists of 78% nitrogen. So there is no miraculous property in pure nitrogen filling like tyre running cooler or leaks wont happen or nitrogen doesn't expand etc etc.
Nitrogen in tyres started in aircraft, the only reason to do so was to mitigate fire risk since pure nitrogen acts as a fire extinguisher, this is required considering that aircraft tyres start up from zero to 240kmph in a matter of seconds during touch down.

Nitrogen in auto tyre in place of normal air is a fad, useful to pumps who charge 25 and upward per tyre filling. May be useful if you drive a hyper car or a formula one car.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 22:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
All advocates of Nitrogen in tires will be pleased to remember that normal air (which is what we breathe, and fill into our tires) consists of 78% nitrogen. So there is no miraculous property in pure nitrogen filling like tyre running cooler or leaks wont happen or nitrogen doesn't expand etc etc.
Nitrogen in tyres started in aircraft, the only reason to do so was to mitigate fire risk since pure nitrogen acts as a fire extinguisher, this is required considering that aircraft tyres start up from zero to 240kmph in a matter of seconds during touch down.

Nitrogen in auto tyre in place of normal air is a fad, useful to pumps who charge 25 and upward per tyre filling. May be useful if you drive a hyper car or a formula one car.
Well, that is the reason I was skeptical about filling Nitrogen in my tubeless tyres. But I did switch to it on my new Figo. Apart from the 'alleged' tyre running cooler postulate, the main advantage seems to be the frequency of topping up. I fill up only once in 40 or 45 days, and the pressure drops by only 2 psi. But on the other car, I fill up air every two weeks and find the drop in pressure to be 2 psi.

And it costs between zero to Rs 10 per tyre for a refill in Hyderabad,and not Rs 25 as reported.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 22:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
All advocates of Nitrogen in tires will be pleased to remember that normal air (which is what we breathe, and fill into our tires) consists of 78% nitrogen. So there is no miraculous property in pure nitrogen filling like tyre running cooler or leaks wont happen or nitrogen doesn't expand etc etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
...the main advantage seems to be the frequency of topping up...
I second vnabhi's opinion. I understand there are no realistic advantages as far as tyres running lower temperature or avoiding leaks, but the benefit of lower frequency of top-up is a real one. I have been using 32PSI Nitrogen in all my tyres for maybe a year now, and need to top-up only once in 2 months when the pressure drops by 2-3 PSI. I do check it myself every 10 days using a small meter though, and it always stays fine. And yes, it does cost 10 rupees. So I believe that is a decent price to pay for the effort you avoid.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 22:35   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And it costs between zero to Rs 10 per tyre for a refill in Hyderabad,and not Rs 25 as reported.
Well, I fill nitrogen in my car's tyres and feel the primary advantage is less loss of air pressure over an extended period of time. All other advantages or disadvantages set aside

Whenever i was using normal air, the tyre use to lose 2-4 psi every 2 week or little more. Whereas, when on nitrogen, the loss of air has reduced considerably and I refill once every 2 months and see the same reduction in the air pressure. Maybe 1-2 psi more in one odd tyre

This enables me the confidence that pressure in my tyres are more or less adequate and also my trips for refilling has reduced drastically. Instead of once in 2 weeks, now its once in 8 weeks

Btw, I found a bunk in Hyderabad where I fill Nitrogen "Free" of cost even though its about 6kms away from home and i just pay an overall tip of Rs.10 for filling nitrogen in 5 tyres.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 22:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main advantage of using nitrogen is the reduced frequency of checking the tyre pressure, and this is the reason most nitrogen users (including me) still stick to it. Like the example mentioned by vnabhi sir, I too got my nitrogen topped up for the Linea after 3.5 months, to find that the tyre pressure had dropped by just 2 psi in 3.5 months ! Earlier with regular air, the tyre pressure would drop by 2-3 psi for every 2-3 weeks. Tyres inflated with nitrogen will also exhibit lesser variation in pressure with temperature and humidity (time of the day, etc) which commonly affects normal air-filled tyres.

Even if it costs 10 Rs. per tyre, I feel it is worth the convenience of avoiding the queues at bunks, and the repeated fills every fortnight.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th March 2013 at 22:43.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 22:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, I found a bunk in Hyderabad where I fill Nitrogen "Free" of cost even though its about 6kms away from home and i just pay an overall tip of Rs.10 for filling nitrogen in 5 tyres.
I sometimes get it filled free at the IOC COCO bunk near old airport flyover. Another place is Ashoka Tyres, but he charges Rs 5 per tyre.

Most recently, I found one close to my place, behind Mainland China, which was suggested by Hyd-traveller. They too charge around Rs 5 per tyre. They also gave me 4 green-coloured inlet caps for free.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 22:48   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I sometimes get it filled free at the IOC COCO bunk near old airport flyover.
I meant this very bunk. It's free but, i tip the guy who fills the air. I dont plan to change the bunk as I time my travel in that direction when a refill is due
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote