Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th October 2008, 23:33   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Cat only sits on my car at night! What to do?

@mods: please shift to appropriate forum if i have put it in a wrong place.

Now to get to the problem:

Since the past one week, there's a cat in the building that will stay on the roof of my car all day and night long.

I actually waits for me to park the car in the evening and then it jumps from the wall and sits on the roof. the cat's already made a small scratch on the bonnet after i tried to shoo it.

It will go only in the morning when i start the car.

It's weird, because its not that someone throws food on the car or that i have run some of its kittens down and its pissed with me.

Its now become so brazen that it won't shoo off either.

Anyone suggests solutions? i don't want to cover my car everyday. It's quite a pain.
I have tried shifting parking spots, but the cat still finds the car!

Any bright ideas? I know people are gonna have a good laugh at my expense, bring it on!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 00:17   #47
BHPian

Hi Tejas - Are you refering to the same cat that is sitting on the bonnet in your profile picture? lol.. JK
I have to confess I had a nice laugh reading the title.. here is my advice though - Cats, apparently, dont like the smell of citrus fruits like Orange. I know it is not practical to buy oranges every day for the cat but I guess you can buy one of the smelly orange flavor room freshners..I have seen them in "the dollar stores" and spray your bonnet as soon as you park. I guess its worth a try but please let us know the results!
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 00:28   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

It likes your car: give it a cushion and it may stay there in the daytime too!

ak916, I recently got some citrus-based ant killer. When I spray it, our cats run, so no, they don't like it. Doesn't keep them away for long, though, although it does kill the ants.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 00:41   #49
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod : Threads merged
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 10:35   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Cats, apparently, dont like the smell of citrus fruits like Orange. I know it is not practical to buy oranges every day for the cat but I guess you can buy one of the smelly orange flavor room freshners..I have seen them in "the dollar stores" and spray your bonnet as soon as you park. I guess its worth a try but please let us know the results!
I'm going to try that today and let you know what happens. Just hope the citrus doesn't drive the cat away and attract crows instead!
Thanks.
Old 21st October 2008, 18:47   #51
BHPian

@Arjun: Atleast the cat's not in the muffler like the pic, Guys please check the end cans before you start your cars. A little kitty may be taking a nap .
Name:  cat in muffler.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  19.4 KB
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A r j u n View Post
any suggestions are welcome (however bizzare they may be) as i really need a solution
Aha, I had the same problem, albeit years ago when I was in college. A neighbours cat had taken a fancy for my bikes seat (was a Hero Honda sleek).
Ensured that I kept a few loose crackers (the single 3cm long crackers you get along with the bunch, you got to dissassemble it). Next few times when the cat perched on the bike, ensured I lit one and threw it quietly towards it. A few times after doing this and the poor chappie stopped perching on top. Guess it got the message.
A few feline lovers might not like this suggestion, but it was either teach the cat or tears in my bike seat.
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@Arjun: Atleast the cat's not in the muffler like the pic, Guys please check the end cans before you start your cars. A little kitty may be taking a nap .
Attachment 62418
That's sweet, sure it isn't a photoshop morphed snap ? Imagine the poor chappies terror when the owner starts his car
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'm going to try that today and let you know what happens. Just hope the citrus doesn't drive the cat away and attract crows instead!
Thanks.
Whoa hold on, isn't Citrus acidic ? It might bleach or corrode your paint my friend. I wouldn't spray that directly on the bonnet, maybe somewhere around the car on the ground.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:35   #55
BHPian

Somebody did mention about buying a rug for the cat to sleep and put it on the car, I do not think it would be a bad idea to do so, if and only if, you douse the rug in water and spread it on the area the cat fancies the most. A damp and moist rug would prove to be a deterrent to cats as they do not like getting wet and after a few days would move away.

Ok, now you would ask me what about the sheen that my car has would that not dull down? Try this only for a few days till the cat finds a comfy warm place and settles down and after that there is Turtlewax and that weekend to take care of the sheen.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Whoa hold on, isn't Citrus acidic ? It might bleach or corrode your paint my friend. I wouldn't spray that directly on the bonnet, maybe somewhere around the car on the ground.
I might be wrong though but I can say this with almost 99% confidence they dont use real oranges in the room freshener. so there are no traces of citric acid, IMHO...
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:00   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been throwing water from my flat onto the cat since the 5 days (once in the evening when she sits, then around 9pm and then 12-1am before i go to sleep) and finally she has stopped sleeping on the car since last night. Can't see her now as well.
My building watchman & neighbors have had a good laugh at my expense though.
Hopefully she doesn't return after a few days of the water bombardment being stopped!

P.S. Another possibility of her going away is that i told my neighbor to make his dog pee on my car tyre yesterday evening. Maybe its the smell.

I think i must be the only person in the world encouraging a dog to pee on his car tyres!!! ha ha ha

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd October 2008 at 00:01.
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I've been throwing water from my flat onto the cat since the 5 days (once in the evening when she sits, then around 9pm and then 12-1am before i go to sleep) and finally she has stopped sleeping on the car since last night. Can't see her now as well.
My building watchman & neighbors have had a good laugh at my expense though.
Hopefully she doesn't return after a few days of the water bombardment being stopped!

P.S. Another possibility of her going away is that i told my neighbor to make his dog pee on my car tyre yesterday evening. Maybe its the smell.

I think i must be the only person in the world encouraging a dog to pee on his car tyres!!! ha ha ha
Hahahaha, this is hilarious my friend, it's good that you finally managed to get rid of the feline. One thing though, don't let the dog get into a habit of taking a leak on your wheels, it causes rust on the wheel rims.
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:10   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of people have messaged me to ask about the citrus-based ant killer I mentioned.

It is Orange Guard, a USA product distributed here by Amrutanjan. It's expensive, but worth it for kitchen surfaces where I don't like to use anything lethal.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:14   #60
Team-BHP Support

I dont want to create a new thread for this but I want to get rid of a Lizard.
What is the best way to make it feel unwelcome and move away?

No problem for me but my wife hates these nice creatures.
I don't want to kill it, Simply want it to go away.
It is in the kitchen. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Already tried egg shells, WD 40 and lots of naphta balls.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote