Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th September 2008, 15:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Don't want this thread to turn into a bus wallah bashing thread, and i think while doing something like that element of surprise should be used and if not the bus driver , we can break something on the bus like the headlight or something and runaway like hell.

Hehe, interesting, made me remember what I did once, when on a bike on NH6 and the truckwallas/buswallas were bullying and trying to push me off the road, I picked up a stone from the roadside, and held it high in my hand pointing to the oncoming vehicle, only to see them hurriedly slip back behind the overaken vehicle.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 16:43   #47
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Angry

I am really angry after coming to know this guy is a habitual offender. Cant a guy just put some nails below his tyres? The only damn problem is there will be lot of passengers on board. But if the bus is empty though, some nails should be thrown so that he gets a flat tyre and loses control like they show in the movies. I amjust way too p*ssed off!!
NitinGirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 21:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Got the estimate from Surakshaa after the insurance persons visit (Bajaj Alliance); its 23k. Guess they are replacing the door also, need to check it out tomorrow.

I need to shell out around 2.5k.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 23:36   #49
BHPian

Default Action against bus drivers

Happywheels, glad to know that you and family are safe.

In my opinion the same behaviour is shown by most bus drivers in the Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore, including state transport buses. They drive with headlamps on, constantly blow the brr... sounded horn and are always driving on their right side.

While driving on these roads, the one thought that comes to my mind is that can't something be done legally against this menace, like filing a PIL in Supreme Court or something. Because these buses are a threat to the lives of law abiding citizens on the road.

Legal wizards among us answer this please.

Viju
vijuvarghese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 23:41   #50
BHPian

See also in the Hosur Road. how they drive. And also listen the Honk they use. As if they are going to some war for fighting
And police they just watching the Race. And the KA/TN attitude is another big problem for all of US. If TN started doing so on KA register vehicle then what will happen to TN registration vehicle which is plying every day in Bangalore road.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 09:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
...While driving on these roads, the one thought that comes to my mind is that can't something be done legally against this menace, like filing a PIL in Supreme Court or something. Because these buses are a threat to the lives of law abiding citizens on the road...
Was thinking on the same line. I believe there were some talks about speed governors in TN and due to some backlast that was dropped (now, was that here in Bangalore???).

If we get some PIL where the heavy vehicle are speed restricted and more accountable (!), we might have some relief from these maniacs!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 09:41   #52
BHPian

The recent Trucker strike in Karnataka last week was due to implementation of Speed Governors; the deadline given by Karnataka Govt is 30th Sept. 08 and truckers are against the same.

The dont mind mowing down innocent people on the road but dont want to spend a few thousands to install speed governors.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 11:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Happywheels, Just now read about the ordeal (as I was in Chennai in the last 2 days on work and hence out of Tbhp). it is indeed very scary and I can very well understand the traffic condition of that stretch at that point of time. these DVD-TN buses overtake like maniacs.

You did the right thing and knowing Tamil helped a lot. In those stretches, I use a lot of high beam flashing and horns to maintain the attention of the bigger fishes !!

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:23   #54
BHPian

I think all the Yellow Board vehicle should be implement the Speed Governor. Not only the trucker. Many lives goes due to the racing between the Busses.
akroy(Abhi) must be knowing, I think he is from Kolkata. Recently also one bus fall into a pond due to this racing of collecting passengers.
Best thing might be Selling the Vehicle from showroom with a standard fitting of Speed Governor for all kind of vehicle(private/public) with GPS system. This might increase the Cost by another 5-8K not sure. But for future it will be a good move and will get discount on Insurence too.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:45   #55
BHPian

@HappyWheels,

Glad to know You, Your wife and the Lovely Little Angel are perfectly ok.
Take Care of the Little Angel.

+Rocky+
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

If we get some PIL where the heavy vehicle are speed restricted and more accountable (!), we might have some relief from these maniacs!
It would certainly be safe on the 2 lane highways, but knowing the mentality of these drivers they would try overtaking each other on the 4 lane highway with both of the guys at the Speed Governor's limit without leaving way for the faster guys behind.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 05:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

I am an aggressive driver by nature and do not yield to buses, unless he has too much momentum and I know an accident is inevitable. I usually drive with the right wheels right on the edge of my half of the road, so that most times, overtakes by the oncoming driver is pre-empted as he does not see an opportunity. If he still tries to be smart, I show him who is boss. Have done it even to the notorious private buses in Kerala. Of course, there are times when a maniac will get the better of me, but I will have my escape route planned in such situations.

I try to be nicer with truckers as I realise how difficult it for them to overtake and will even brake if necessary to allow them to pass.

One thing I noticed with TN buses is that they are not hesitant to put all four wheels off tarmac where there is space and will overtake you from left. This happened to me a lot of times on the Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Perundurai stretch.

Last edited by kuttapan : 28th September 2008 at 05:32.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 11:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
racing between the Busses.
OT:- Do state transport undertaking buses participate in these races? In Kerala, mostly no; but even when they do, the drivers are extra cautious, since STU/ RTC buses do not have "auxiliary drivers" banging on the doors and shouting at traffic. We call them "kili" (short for cleaners) in this part of the world. After seeing the Kerala "kilis" and some of them in Delhi (for only a couple of days), I am convinced that banning them will be far more effective than the speed governors. Buses drivers tend to be extra cautious if they do not have the assistance of other persons.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 15:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

I think this concept works everywhere, even in Bangalore the private buses have these"kilis" who are like navigators for these bus drivers.

IF government wants they can put these maniacs in their place but they don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
OT:- Do state transport undertaking buses participate in these races? In Kerala, mostly no; but even when they do, the drivers are extra cautious, since STU/ RTC buses do not have "auxiliary drivers" banging on the doors and shouting at traffic. We call them "kili" (short for cleaners) in this part of the world. After seeing the Kerala "kilis" and some of them in Delhi (for only a couple of days), I am convinced that banning them will be far more effective than the speed governors. Buses drivers tend to be extra cautious if they do not have the assistance of other persons.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 20:01   #60
BHPian

HappyWheels, Happy that you and your family members are safe.

I can understand what you have gone through. I am also a regular user of this bad Salem - Namkkal stretch and everytime I face such maniacs who does not just care about on coming traffic.

Not only the private buses now a days these Govt buses also started this bad habit as they have speed controllers installed and also has to make up the time. It is all due to the heavy density traffic in this route. I hope all this will end when this stretch is complete.

As I go past Namkkal I try to avoid this and take Thoppur - Erode - Karur and just found another alternate route Salem - Tiruchengodu - Velur - Karur.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote