Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th September 2008, 17:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Update on the work carried out:

The total cost of work came out to Rs.12,356 of which I need to pay Rs.1,355. Getting the delivery today night. Hopefully I will not have nor notice any issue with regard to workman ship.

Also got few small paint jobs, dent removals and a high level check up while at it. That is costing me Rs.1,768.

It is great feeling to get the baby back home all fresh and new!

Will post photos tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
...As I go past Namkkal I try to avoid this and take Thoppur - Erode - Karur and just found another alternate route Salem - Tiruchengodu - Velur - Karur.
Need to check this alternative out. But AFAIK, isn't the Karur route road really bad? Or is the alternative suggested having better ones?
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 10:45   #62
BHPian

If you are going to Trichy this alternate route may not be a appropriate option. It will be good for people who want to avoid the mad traffic between Salem and Namkkal. This Salem - T.Godu - Velur road is just a 2 lane road with very less traffic.

Actually the Namakkal - Karur stretch is not at all a problem as the traffic is less and most of the four laning is near completion.

The only bottleneck is Namakkal to Salem - 50 Kms
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 11:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info, BloreBuddy!

True, the Namakkal - Salem stretch is the bottleneck and the killer! Hope they get that part 4 laned soon.

Photos - my bad, will get them uploaded tonight from home.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th October 2008 at 11:30.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that Suresh after the pain and agony you and your family went through period. Do drive safe and take care.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 12:23   #65
BHPian

Most of the private bus drivers in Tamil Nadu do not care for smaller vehicles. I have been a regular on these routes: Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Namakkal and Bangalore->Dharmapuri->Salem\Mettur->Erode.

The best option would be is to give way and then get past them when they slow down. Almost all the buses do not have the torque\accelraton power on roads which have an ascent. They try not to brake at all, fearing loss of momentum. They fear loss of momentum more than loss of life that could be caused due to less usage of brakes.

The root cause for this: the bus owners!! If the bus owners are pulled-up strictly then we can be assured of disciplined driving by the bus drivers.

I have had innumerable experiences wherein I have stopped right in front of the oncoming bus when he is trying to overtake a vehicle on his lane.

I am sure the bus drivers must be having their own mode of transport (maybe a 2-wheeler), would love to know their reaction when another bus\lorry driver tries to push them off the tarmac!!! That would be a sight to watch.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 13:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

I have driven on these streches numerous times and i completely agree that these maniacs need to be taken to book.

I just like Kuttapan said , tend not to give way to these overtaking morons at first , coz if they see or sense that you are giving them side then these guys will floor the pedal even further to complete the overtake this would put you in further danger especially from the rear part of these buses which swings out of line most of the time. At times I have stopped the car head on with these guys and asked them to back up . 90 % of the time i end up with my left wheelstill on tarmac and the 10% maniac drivers make me do stunts off the tarmac.

My co Driver ( my wife ) is always careful and alerts me whwne we have these UFOs approaching us . "UFO's", yep thats what i call them for all those blinking lights and musical air horns these vehicles feature.Sometimes you cant even make out when they really turn on an indicator. They have key words such as digital dolby , home theatre surround sound , etc etc splashed all over thier rear windows
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 20:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Ok, here are the pictures:

The damage:

My tryst with a rogue Private TN bus-image009.jpg

My tryst with a rogue Private TN bus-image011.jpg

And here is the guy after a visit to the workshop.

My tryst with a rogue Private TN bus-image017.jpg

My tryst with a rogue Private TN bus-image016.jpg

Did notice some dust, bubbles, some white paint on the boot and a rough section on the door, and yes, also a cracked paint spot. Need to take it back to them. Most probably next weekend!
Old 8th October 2008, 09:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Good to see your ride back prim and proper Suresh! Have a good one and drive safe.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 10:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks VJ.

Driving to Ooty tomorrow morning!

Will be there till Saturday noon, after that I am driving back home.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Look nice. Seems no diff. Good work. So, started FRESH again. Great. Enjoy.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 04:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
I have had innumerable experiences wherein I have stopped right in front of the oncoming bus when he is trying to overtake a vehicle on his lane.

I am sure the bus drivers must be having their own mode of transport (maybe a 2-wheeler), would love to know their reaction when another bus\lorry driver tries to push them off the tarmac!!! That would be a sight to watch.
many times even i faced similar situation. even then they wont bother. finally its the small vehicle which will be in the receiving end. either i go to extreme left, (down the road) or if i get irritated of their attitude i go straight on my lane facing the oncoming vehicle. mostly they apply brake but while crossing you, u have to hold your breath becuase the distance they maintain between u and their vehicle would be 1 or 2 inches.
benkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote