Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th October 2008, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@bonobash: (what kind of tag is that??) The problem is not about keeping distance ahead of you. Here the problem was did the guy behind you keep enough distance?

The old rule still applies. 1 car length is 15 feet and if you are doing 100kmph 150 feet is good safety. Traffic conditions not letting you maintain this is in your hands. If some one cuts in front then you step off the gas for a moment. Problem is that most of the cutting in happens not at high speeds but at low speeds in high traffic density areas.

Another issue to consider is why did the other guy cut in? Did you not let him pass? Easy to blame others but I have seen many road hoggers who will not let go of right lane even with ample road space available on left.
Well, that's a reasonable answer. Before getting to driving matters, an aside: bonobashi roughly translates to 'lives in the forest'. Don't read any significant meaning into it; just means the equivalent of 'outlier'.

Regarding the driving question, your advice is good enough for me, for normal conditions. Some stretches, however, especially within an hour of any major Indian city, the traffic is fast AND the distances are low, which is quite nerve-wracking. For instance, Chandigarh - Delhi.

There have been some bad moments when I was ambushed, simultaneously, by two Innovas, each overtaking from one side, so I was sandwiched between these two monsters who cut in from left and right and then promptly braked hard, each trying to get in before the traffic in front, which in any case was uncomfortably close. Bear in mind that there wasn't much space behind to slow down TOO quickly, and these two jerks had cut in from across several car lengths behind.

In close, fast traffic like this, I am really not sure what works.

Just for the record, I have NO problems in letting faster traffic get past. However, I do have problems with people who overtake fast, on the left, across multiple vehicles, bobbing up where least expected.

Ah, well, in Mendelssohn's words, "Calm seas and prosperous voyages" to you.
bonobashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 19:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=bonobashi;1015194Before getting to driving matters, an aside: bonobashi roughly translates to 'lives in the forest'. Don't read any significant meaning into it; just means the equivalent of 'outlier'.[/quote]

Thanks for the education. Interesting nick.

Quote:
There have been some bad moments when I was ambushed, simultaneously, by two Innovas, each overtaking from one side, so I was sandwiched between these two monsters who cut in from left and right and then promptly braked hard, each trying to get in before the traffic in front, which in any case was uncomfortably close. Bear in mind that there wasn't much space behind to slow down TOO quickly, and these two jerks had cut in from across several car lengths behind.
I can empathize with you and know how many times we see this happening.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote