Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th October 2008, 14:08   #16
BHPian

**** happens!!!
Replace your helmet before you sit on your steed again.
nickoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 14:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

redfire, good it dint get worse....

along with helmet make sure you wear riding gear as wel
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 22:40   #18
BHPian

Hi all,
Tthanks for the wishes. Sorry for the 'knee' actually I was typing something outta mind - both elbow and right knee injured.

I have a good AGV helmet, this one was my canon which I use in city. I will be no longer using this one and might buy another for city use, until then AGV. As many of you know I am a biker/tourer and have all sort of necessary gears - a mesh and leather jackets, boots, gloves, knee pad but a Sunday morning trip to near by hospital to visit my mom-in-law was just an 'easy' ride for me. Anyway I will use atleast my leather jacket in city.

Yeah the injured quenn will be taken to mech with the help of Sankar on this weekend. I am getting better with wounds and body pain. Will update you guys. thanks once again.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 23:40   #19
BHPian

Redfire, hope you are lucky to escape with minor injuries.

Me too met with an accident last week, and was not lucky, lost my upper front two tooth (broke till the gums). No other injuries as I was wearing a helmet and gloves. I am gonna spend around 14000 for the tooth replacement and with all mental agony of going to a dentist, whom I fear the most.

The accident happened when I was overtaking a car at 40 kmph, and all of a sudden the passenger door opened. I had to brake hard and the front wheel locked and skidded.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 23:54   #20
BHPian

Redfire, you have a beauty of a bike there. I know how much it hurts , especially when its not really your fault.
Hope your automotive life and family life, fall into place soon!
Get well soon!
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 01:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Jay, glad to know that you were wearing helmet and got only bruises. Life is full of ups and downs. May Allah take care of you and family. My prayers are with you.

I rarely used to wear helmet during college days, 8 years back. I was riding the bike at 60 to 80 kmph as the road was almost empty on a lazy afternoon. I was on the left hand side of the road and suddenly a boy standing on the side decided to run to the other side. I did not have time to brake/ avoid the boy. The front fairing of fiero hit the boy, I flew and landed on the middle of the road. My head hit the ground later though I first landed on my palms and knees (like a cat). I was wearing helmet on that day. (A lesson learnt)

Just after I landed on the road, a Maruti 800 coming from the other side stopped beside me. The door opened when I was looking up, a good looking girl asked me smiling "Are you alright?" I forgot all the pain, smiled at her, replied back "I am alright" and got up fast. What a tough guy!!

The boy came to me massaging his chest when I was limping back to the bike. He apologized to me and I was relieved to see that he was alright. From his shirt I could make out that he worked in a workshop.

I started the bike, rode the bike with a bend handle bar and went to the nearest clinic. The doctor asked me "How did you manage to cover all the joints?" At home I had a tough time consoling my mom.

Thanks for the reminiscence!!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th October 2008 at 01:45.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:41   #22
BHPian

get well soon and be more careful in future, the morons list is getting bigger and bigger by the minute.
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 19:51   #23
BHPian

Wow red, just saw this thread today. You seem to be having a little bit of trouble these days. Hope the bad streak ends fast.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 00:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Red, saw this thread only today. Hope you are recovering fast from your injuries. Take care.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 02:02   #25
Team-BHP Support

Dont fret - you're currently burdened by the psychological weight you're carrying. Rest assured, it'll go away!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 08:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Just one koshun: Strong crash guard?

Crumple zones are designed to crumple, not be strong.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 10:14   #27
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

You are thinking cars. If his Bullet 500's crash guard had crumpled, his leg would have taken the impact. As it is, the crash guard took the entire weight of the bike, didnt crumple, saved his leg, and is still serviceable. It has just got some scratches on it. Dont think it is even bent too much.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 11:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
You are thinking cars. If his Bullet 500's crash guard had crumpled, his leg would have taken the impact. As it is, the crash guard took the entire weight of the bike, didnt crumple, saved his leg, and is still serviceable. It has just got some scratches on it. Dont think it is even bent too much.
Phamilyman, you have a very valid point.

Srijit, extra strong crash guards with strong mounting points bent the bike chassis in certain situations. Ask me how i know An ordinary Thunderbird type crash guard is good enough for any impact. It deforms, sometimes breaks away form the lower mount welds and chassis is left unharmed. A new Thunderbird type crash guard costs 450 bucks.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th October 2008 at 11:18.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 12:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Phamilyman, you have a very valid point.

Srijit, extra strong crash guards with strong mounting points bent the bike chassis in certain situations. Ask me how i know An ordinary Thunderbird type crash guard is good enough for any impact. It deforms, sometimes breaks away form the lower mount welds and chassis is left unharmed. A new Thunderbird type crash guard costs 450 bucks.
Thats the problem. He cant be replaced. His bike or its chassis can be and hence.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 13:15   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thats the problem. He cant be replaced. His bike or its chassis can be and hence.
Jk, please you see the point in my post. Crash guards should deform and absorb the impact, if not it is going to be transmitted elsewhere. A deformed crash guard is good enough to protect the rider's legs if at all it gets underneath the bike in a slow speed crash. In some cases it increases the risk of injury to other parts of the body.

Hurt report:
Crash bars are not an effective injury countermeasure; the reduction of injury to the ankle-foot is balanced by increase of injury to the thigh-upper leg, knee, and lower leg.

Hurt Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Hurt Report"
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote