Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th October 2008, 15:34   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
You might want to consider of the fact that it was "sunday" yesterday so relatively lesser traffic.
That completely escaped me . Whatever I said earlier still holds - for a week / working day, though.

benbsb29, believe me sir, I have seen folks not budging an inch for ambulances. The times I have pulled over to let an ambulance through, I have been honked / shouted at from behind.

I pray that none of us have an accident on Bangalore roads, especially during rush hour.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 15:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The women with L badge have the habit of sudden braking without any obvious reason. The women is at fault if that happened. I always try to avoid staying behind them or keep lot of distance in bumper to bumper traffic.

It might have been caused only because of rash driving by the biker. Then biker is at fault.

If both happened, both of them are at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
IMO, both are at fault. The Getz for braking suddenly and the biker for not maintaining the safe distance.
As far as the law is concerned, the person hitting from behind is at fault, always. Braking 'suddenly' is not an offence. This can happen because of various reasons and how the driver percieves the situation.
We hit a vehicle from behind, on a freeway. The cop that reached the scene put it quite well. He asked, "Sir, were you following the vehicle too closely or was your vehicle out of control?". There is a ticket for both the offences.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 15:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How can you be so sure by just reading a few lines sitting in front of your computer?
I am convinced that any vehicle, two or four wheeler, has to maintain a certain breaking distance from the car in front. I qoute from Wiki.

For purposes of insurance and policing, the driver of the car that rear-ends the other car is almost always considered to be at fault due to not being within stopping distance or lack of attention. An exception to this rule comes into play if the impacted vehicle is in reverse gear. If the driver of the car that was rear-ended files a claim against the driver who hit him, said driver could be responsible for all damages to the other drivers car.

PS: This statement is general and may not apply to the above situation since I do not know all the details.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 16:13   #19
BHPian

Default Bikers and my tryst with one..

I tend to believe that the biker did not have visibility of stopped or slow moving car to break. Else there is no way the impact could break the winshield.

I had a night mare as well, when I was taking a left turn, having put on left indicator in 80 feet road koramanga opposite to Fitness one, one biker who tried to overtake me from left, despite seeing my indicator and tried to swerve. But I was taking the turn fast and he did not anticipate that. And banged on my left soft at 90 degrees, rolled over my bonnet and fell on the other side. The impact broke the tie rod of the suspension and car wont steer properly. Luckily nothing happened to the biker, had to take him to nearby hospital for scratches and check if there are any fractures. Nothing. Costed my 15k to repair the car.

Lesson learnt is may be you have the right of way, may be you signalled about turns well in advance, but be on the defensive always watching out for such morons.

Check out the left fender and how crumbled it is because of the impact.

Nainar
Attached Thumbnails
Scary accident on Marathalli bridge last evening-image_00067.jpg  

anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 16:37   #20
Team-BHP Support

It could be either of them fault. If the biker is driving fast and really close then it has to be the bikers fault. And, if the driver is hard braking without any reason then it got be to the driver's fault.

I reckon it does not really add value to the discussion without knowing the exact reason for the accident. I am wondering if we wouldn't be interested to know more about the fate/health of the biker.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 16:59   #21
BHPian

I saw something similar today in Delhi at a Red Light. I was there in the middle lane and a moron came next to me in between the middle and the right lane, so practically he was not in the right lane and not in the middle lane. I saw in my rear view mirror a Biker driving like crazy and he saw that there is some space between the median and the car next to me, he came in full force and being over confident on his brakes, didn't slow down. The Next thing i see is that his over confidence was as good as his brakes, he went and banged straight in an Indigo and was about to go through the rear glass of the vehicle but somehow he managed and didn't go through it. The bumper came off and the driver blew his top off and gave a good piece of his mind and his hands to the biker and took away the keys of the bike. Actually the biker after crashing in the Indigo had the guts to fight with the Indigo guy telling him that it's his fault.....
The_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 17:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^Thats the problem with Indian roads. The one that argues more wins irrespective of who was at fault. Very pathetic state of affairs :(.

In a case like this, its very simple - If you rear end someone, you are at fault unless the vehicle in front backed into you.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th October 2008 at 17:12.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 20:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why are you guys speculating as to whose fault it might have been?
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 20:17   #24
BHPian

ya, it could have been anyone's fault-either the car driver braked without any reason or the biker was speeding dangerously(that's seen very much nowadays:
Happened some weeks ago, our family was returning from the cinemax to the township in our car in thick evening traffic.A bike witha rider and a pillion suddenly tries to overtake the truck in front of us from the side that's meant for cars.This red verna coming from the opposite hits the bike and both of the riders flew and fell down nearby.The trucker tried to stop his vehicle as fast as he could and my father had to handle our car into the sandy region around the road to narowly avoid the truck.One rider almost came under the wheel of this truck and one was crushed to death. The other one was soon rushed to the hospital and i know no more of it.(This experience has nothing to do with the incidence mentioned earlier in which it could also have been the fault of the driver)
esteemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 20:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Unless someone reverses into you, if you rear end a vehicle, it is always your fault. Always. It doesn't matter why the vehicle in front of you hit the brakes - it is your duty to keep a safe braking distance from the vehicle in front of you.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 20:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Unless someone reverses into you, if you rear end a vehicle, it is always your fault. Always. It doesn't matter why the vehicle in front of you hit the brakes - it is your duty to keep a safe braking distance from the vehicle in front of you.
Completely agree with you and RoC. I am surprised that people are even discussing that the person in front braking suddenly could be at fault :-( No way unless as someone pointed out, the car reversed into the bike.
From personal experience, I have twice had a vehicle in front reverse into my stationary car. On the otherhand, I did have a situation where I braked too late and bumped into a vehicle in front (albeit at slow speed). For the latter, I cannot argue why did the driver in front brake suddenly etc etc, it was a wet surface and so on. Its my responsibility to keep distance and maintain safe speed period. Not doing so, and driving is already my fault whether an accident happens or not! I guess a lot of drivers in our country don't understand this :-(
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 23:21   #27
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Absolutely,as ImmortalZ has rightly pointed out.There is no second opinion to that.For those who are arguing for the biker,its sad that they don't know the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Thats the problem with Indian roads. The one that argues more wins irrespective of who was at fault. Very pathetic state of affairs :(.

In a case like this, its very simple - If you rear end someone, you are at fault unless the vehicle in front backed into you.
Add to that,the ones who has more brawns or outnumbers you.We all know how Indian roads are especially with reckless auto rickshaws,stupid bikers and dangerous government buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Lesson learnt is may be you have the right of way, may be you signalled about turns well in advance, but be on the defensive always watching out for such morons.
Truly said.I have had countless incidents when I have turned on my left indicator signalling my intention to go left pretty early,but still bikers come from behind on my left,who have the intention to go straight at a crossing!!

These bikers should be

-
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 23:21   #28
BHPian

You meet an accident more because of others fault rather than your fault.

These bikers are too much in hurry. Its like your(If you are driving a car) responsibility to keep them safe they dont wanna be safe.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 01:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Talking about who's right when one car rear-ends another in traffic: in India, if you maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front, another vehicle will come from behind you and slot into this space, hence negating the distance and safety. Dumba**es will never learn.
Generally, the police/public will blame the larger vehicle. If its a pedestrian/cyclist, then any larger vehicle is to blame. No matter that they hopped into the fast lane without warning/looking. If its a scooter/bike, then the car, bus, etc is to blame. If its a car, then the bus/truck is to blame (though in this case it is usually true).
I've seen bike fellows weaving through traffic. If they weave in front of a bus just as the traffic begins to move, then it's still the bus driver's fault
In Bangalore, he who shouts loudest in Kannada is right. Unless that person happens to be a bus/auto/cab driver. In which case the bus/auto/cab driver community will materialise from who knows which crevices and threaten you with various deadly weapons normally banned in saner cities.
BMP only remembers that the roads are dirty at 12 (noon)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
You meet an accident more because of others fault rather than your fault.

These bikers are too much in hurry. Its like your(If you are driving a car) responsibility to keep them safe they dont wanna be safe.
Completely!!

Mod's Note: Please do not make back to back posts. Use multiquote option when replying to multiple posts. If you missed something on the 1st go use the Edit button to add content.

Posts merged.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 01:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

What's to debate? Some dude crashed into someone else, because he didn't follow them safely. His fault. Luckily the people he crashed into were nice enough to be bothered about his wellbeing and took him to hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How can you be so sure by just reading a few lines sitting in front of your computer?
It's always the fault of the person who rear-ends. Legally, I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The women with L badge have the habit of sudden braking without any obvious reason. The women is at fault if that happened. I always try to avoid staying behind them or keep lot of distance in bumper to bumper traffic.

It might have been caused only because of rash driving by the biker. Then biker is at fault.

If both happened, both of them are at fault.
Which part of the description of the incident led you to believe, or assume, that the woman was driving?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote