Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st October 2008, 01:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How can you be so sure by just reading a few lines sitting in front of your computer?
The law states that one is supposed to maintain a safe braking distance from the vehicle in front. This means that no matter what the vehicle in front does, for whatever emergency (real or imagined), if you hit a vehicle in the rear, it is your fault. Period.

Our lousy license system makes it easy for people to get one without understanding these basics. Doesn't make much of a difference except when the driver of the vehicle in front starts getting beaten for no fault of his (seen this happen in Bangalore).

Once when we were in Delhi, a man was strolling across the road, so my Dad stopped as he was oblivious to the horn (was watching a baraat, he said). A Maruti van hit our car just as Dad took his foot off the brake. Car jumped forward and bumped the pedestrian (slightly, thankfully). Van fellow had the audacity to come in front and note down our car's registration. Dad told him to go (censored the rest) and we carried on. Moral of the story - Knowledge of the rules gives you confidence to handle a situation, and avoids unnecessary blame and leads to less chaos. We may not be able to eliminate it all, but less chaos is always better, don't you think?
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 08:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Consider this. Biker is coming at some speed. A driver with an L board comes from the side lane and merges onto the main road, without checking to see if anyone is coming. All the biker sees is an empty road ahead one moment and then a slow moving car bang in front of him couple of seconds later. He ends up rear ending the car as there is no time to react(target fixation also may be the reason).

Can happen right? I am not saying that this is what happened, but that all Monday morning quarterbacks should hold their horses. None of you were there, even Benny who saw the aftermath does not know how it happened.

As Vikram said, please don't start analysing whose fault it was and then generalising on lots of stuff. It helps no one.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 10:06   #33
BHPian

Some people are even saying that if someone put sudden brake, it is the fault of the person who put the brake. You cannot react to a braking vehicle and you try to blame the vehicle ahead!! That is ridiculous. Let me repeat, that is RIDICULOUS.

It is not like somebody is going to make a sudden full stop by putting brake. He will apply the brake, even to the best he can, to make a stop at the shortest time/distance possible. You got to manage to do the same, at least with minimal impact in case of failing to brake yourself. You have slight gap to respond the whole distance that the other person in the front got.

However, if the Getz in question had seen something in the front and if the driver not only put sudden brake, but also drifted to another lane for whatever reason (as kuttapan mentioned), and by doing that, if the car had hit someone on the other lane, then it is the fault of the Getz as well, even if he had put turn indicators. Also, if someone couldn't react to the turn of the Getz, then also it is the fault of the Getz for not seeing carfully if anybody is approaching behind in the lane he is drifting or turning to.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 10:19   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Why are you guys speculating as to whose fault it might have been?
Lack of better things to do (I speak for myself).

Speculation on my part was not correct, especially in a case like this.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 10:42   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always been a victim for stopping at the right time. I save the vehicle in front of me, and always gets rewarded for that by a bang at the back. Mostly by 2 wheelers.

I started thanking them for the act, and always say " I saved him, and you punished me, thanks. Isn't it wonderful?"
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 16:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Consider this. Biker is coming at some speed. A driver with an L board comes from the side lane and merges onto the main road, without checking to see if anyone is coming. All the biker sees is an empty road ahead one moment and then a slow moving car bang in front of him couple of seconds later. He ends up rear ending the car as there is no time to react(target fixation also may be the reason).
Cutting across lanes is different from braking sharply. In the former, the car in front is in the wrong if it did this w/o indicator and in a sudden manner. In the latter, the vehicle behind is to blame - one need not be there to conclude this!
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 17:11   #37
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Lesson learnt is may be you have the right of way, may be you signalled about turns well in advance, but be on the defensive always watching out for such morons.

Nainar
Hi Nainar,

I totally agree with you. Have always been on the defensive mode but, yet have managed to have a few vey close shaves, especially like the one you mentioned about bikers overtaking you from the left side

Defensive driving is what will help you survive on Bangalore roads and keep your car free from scratches.

Cheers,

gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 22:55   #38
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I have always been a victim for stopping at the right time. I save the vehicle in front of me, and always gets rewarded for that by a bang at the back. Mostly by 2 wheelers.

I started thanking them for the act, and always say " I saved him, and you punished me, thanks. Isn't it wonderful?"
Rightly said laluks
It has happened twice to my new car and on both occasions they were stupid bikers.Me and my friend was in our car and I was driving and haven't even braked,I was standing at a red signal when a biker hit my rear bumper from behind causing the rear bumper to come loose a bit.I was furious and got down and asked him why he did that? His answer was 'dekhte paini' in bengali,which translated means I didnt see !!
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 23:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

Can happen right? I am not saying that this is what happened, but that all Monday morning quarterbacks should hold their horses. None of you were there, even Benny who saw the aftermath does not know how it happened.

As Vikram said, please don't start analysing whose fault it was and then generalising on lots of stuff. It helps no one.
Not possible, boss. It's Marathalli bridge, and there are no turn-ins or turn-offs except the entry and exit to the bridge. So he couldn't have come in from just anywhere.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:39   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

One driving instructor explained to me that most accidents during lessons are rear-enders: with his dual-control pedals he can stop the car or accelerate, he can, of course, grab the steering wheel; the one thing he cannot do is prevent the driver from braking sharply.

If you drive into the car in front of you it is always your fault. No exception.

That is not the same as hitting the back of a car which has just turned out in front of you, or has just pulled out into your lane just in front of you. Although defensive driving should lessen the chances of this, there will always be, as somebody said, a moron on the road somewhere.

I don't know the law on this one, but it is my personal belief that if you hit a car turning right while overtaking, or turning left while 'under'taking (good route to the undertakers! haha... Errr, that's the guys who deal with bodies and funerals in UK), then that is also your fault --- but I find that there is usually a couple, at least, bikers wizzing past even as I make a left turn.

Morons. But I'd rather not be scraping them off the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote