Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 12:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Angry Why don't two wheelers pay toll?!!

I go to new bombay once a week and i have noticed this since years that two wheelers don't have to pay toll. Why?
They use the same bridges! They use the same roads! They break our car ORVMS! They drive slowly in the right lane!
If cars have to pay a toll of Rs.30 oneway, (increased from 25 last month), why can't bikers pay atleast Rs10?
I don't get it! Anyone with a plausible explanation?

P.S. I have nothing against the biker community as such, its just that private car owners always get step-motherly treatment. So bikers, no hate mail please.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:06   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

I have ridden more than driving around,and have just come across only DND in Noida that requires two wheelers to pay toll.
I am all game for two wheelers toll.
Still dont have a clue as to why they are exempted?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:13   #3
BHPian
 
DueLLeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vashi / Navi Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I go to new bombay once a week and i have noticed this since years that two wheelers don't have to pay toll. Why?
They use the same bridges! They use the same roads! They break our car ORVMS! They drive slowly in the right lane!
If cars have to pay a toll of Rs.30 oneway, (increased from 25 last month), why can't bikers pay atleast Rs10?
I don't get it! Anyone with a plausible explanation?

P.S. I have nothing against the biker community as such, its just that private car owners always get step-motherly treatment. So bikers, no hate mail please.
Not only bikes, even BEST and ST buses don't pay toll to use the bridge. Even cars belonging to government officials are exempted. Rather, they're allowed to pass by making everyone else stop with the booth collectors saluting them!

IMO, bikes don't pay toll because they're percieved as the poor man's mode of transport.

OT: I'm a Vashi resident and have been paying toll since the new bridge was built in 1990! If the toll was being levied to recover the cost of the new bridge, it might have gone 10x over by now. Now, the government has a very comfortable excuse that the toll is being levied for recovering the cost of all new flyovers in Mumbai - from people who enter Mumbai. In such a situation, Navi Mumbai residents end up paying the most because most of us use the bridge daily. Mumbai residents who use the flyovers more, actually pay less. Huge disparity, no?
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:29   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

This is a very relevant issue. All the bikes should
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:30   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

This is a very relevant issue. All the bikes should pay toll like cars. In our state the maximum toll is rs 5 , bikers should pay atleast 1/5th of it. This is an injustice to car owners.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Not only bikes, even BEST and ST buses don't pay toll to use the bridge.
Buses do pay toll. If you see the ticket listing, toll has been added. Its just that they pay toll in bulk. the number of journeys for a month for all buses is calculated and paid together. Even railways charge toll for using the bridge.

Quote:
Even cars belonging to government officials are exempted. Rather, they're allowed to pass by making everyone else stop with the booth collectors saluting them!
Ya, that is really irritating. But what difference. the babus will pay toll from tax-payers money anyways!

Quote:
IMO, bikes don't pay toll because they're percieved as the poor man's mode of transport.
Convenient excuse! Don't charge cyclists, but bikers need to be charged or ban them from using flyovers!

Quote:
OT: I'm a Vashi resident and have been paying toll since the new bridge was built in 1990! If the toll was being levied to recover the cost of the new bridge, it might have gone 10x over by now. Now, the government has a very comfortable excuse that the toll is being levied for recovering the cost of all new flyovers in Mumbai - from people who enter Mumbai. In such a situation, Navi Mumbai residents end up paying the most because most of us use the bridge daily. Mumbai residents who use the flyovers more, actually pay less. Huge disparity, no?
Absolutely agree with you. People in the city use all the bridges day in and day out and don't pay anything. Rather they could introduce a one time toll for all bombay registered vehicles and charge toll only for cars & trucks with out of bombay registration plates.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default

Because bikers are a poor man's transport as per sarkar. And because two wheelers have never paid either.

And charging them poor man's toll fee becomes a very expensive exercise, not to mention hassles - car guys will not as much take some arbit side lane to save a few bucks etc.

In short, not worth the hassle.

PS: I fully support, and am willing to more than match. I even met DSC officials at Gurgaon when initially bikes were prevented on the expressway. To me, riding off the expressway is a waste of my time, and toll is what I wanna pay.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

And charging them poor man's toll fee becomes a very expensive exercise, not to mention hassles - car guys will not as much take some arbit side lane to save a few bucks etc.

In short, not worth the hassle.
How can it not be worth? How is it expensive? I fail to understand!!!
Atleast the toll plaza in new bombay is such that there is no side lane. There is a sea creek on either side. So there is no choice but to pay.

You can't justify hassle as being an excuse for exemption.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:42   #9
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

What about 3 wheelers? Do they have to pay toll as well?
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
What about 3 wheelers? Do they have to pay toll as well?
Yes three wheelers do pay toll.

And the passenger autos conveniently charge the passengers a return toll (so its 30+30).
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 21:11   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

My opinion,

Toll guys or NHAI feels that the 2 wheelers are for local transport and they dont travel long distance. So, its not fair to charge them since they may be just going from this side of the village to other side.

May be, when we get a system of getting a ticket and pay at the exit based on actual distance travelled, they may have to pay too.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 23:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default

Tejas,

Have you considered the setup cost, the salaries etc. I'd just remind you to consider basics
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 23:30   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,213
Thanked: 529 Times
Default

Tejas spare the Bikers . Well i had always seen Noida Dnd charging bikers so cant say why its not charged elsewhere. IMO if they take the road they must pay. Simple! Atleast 10 bucks as you said!
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 00:37   #14
BHPian
 
abbey4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 437
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

We are talking about why cars only why not bikers. As far as i am concerned, I want the toll system to be completely removed.

We pay tax on our income. Then tax on purchasing vehicle( An 7 lac car has almost 1 lac tax on it). Then road tax purchasing vehicle (car/bike). Then Parking charges (one time while purchasing like MCD parking charge in Delhi and later individual parking). Then surcharge on fuel. and then the TOLL.

Why the government charges at every step. Tomorrow there will be toll on walking and so on.

Is this justified. Tell me what govt are doing with my income tax, tax on car, road tax etc. Why do they need toll now. I guess all my previous taxes should be enough atleast to built a good road. (Since I already pay enough sales tax service tax etc for availing any kind of service)
abbey4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 02:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Tejas,

Have you considered the setup cost, the salaries etc. I'd just remind you to consider basics
There is no setup cost or salary cost. The bikes follow the cars in the toll plaza and pay as the cars do. No additional expense. All they have to do is to close the narrow side lane that they have for bikes.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready to pay Toll on SHs? Read on. mjothi The Indian Car Scene 27 18th March 2016 18:30
Protecting highways using toll : How weight-based toll works for large vehicles sudev Commercial Vehicles 26 3rd November 2015 16:34
IRDA: 75% of two-wheelers in India don't have insurance! GTO Motorbikes 9 27th May 2015 13:07
why do two wheelers do not follow lane discipline? dkhatau Street Experiences 4 18th April 2009 18:40
Now pay for a lil perk along with toll (Mumbai-Pune expressway) BunnyPunia Street Experiences 27 18th July 2007 19:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks