Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th November 2008, 10:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Thanks God things did not get any worse! Both in terms of damage to the car and house.

One would never imagine such a thing to happen, least when one has parked and covered the car in his enclosed place of stay!

I hope you made sure the police took a good care of that fellow. At least to an extend he would thing twice before even thinking of such a similar act.

Hope you get your ride and house back in shape, soon.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 10:59   #62
BHPian

Unhappy

uhh nothing but shocked n stunned

I just saw this thread dude...what a pervert man he is!! Make that guy pay for your damages!

While i'm glad nothing happened to anyones lives and your home!

Hope nothing major damages and the cars are restored back to normal sooner!
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 11:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Today, while my building watchman had happily disappeared for his two hour lunch break, a mad, pervert man entered the society. After attempting to sexually assault a lady resident, the madman turned towards the parking lot. Only my two cars were parked at that time. Both washed and covered. He lit the cars covers, probably using some propellant and turned towards my window parapet. Clothes were put out to dry. He lit the clothes on fire. The blaze that ensued engulfed the entire sun shade and went as high as two storeys. Thankfully, the windows were closed and the fire did not reach inside. Although, the window glasses did shatter because of the heat. This madman then burnt some clothes hung out to dry in other flats and even threw a burning pant into another ground floor flat. He then went to the next society and tried burning dried leaves. A bhel-puri wala outside was assaulted by him and his cart overturned. By now, the collectively damage was severe and a mob thrashed the hell out this guy. Dad put out the flames and called the cops, who promptly arrested him.

Both the cars suffered fire damage. The melting of the car covers made it stick to the paint and the bumper is melted at some places. Took both the cars for a Diesel + Soap wash to get the soot off. The paint has discolored (brownish yellow) in some places because of fire damage. Also, replaced the number plate which had melted partly.

When my bro called to inform me about the incident, I thought he was kidding. I cannot express the grief to see my less-than-two-month old car damaged in fire, which was started intentionally by a mad man! To add, my four-year old car has suffered more damage! Went to the Police station to see who this guy was. He's some painter-plaster guy by profession and hails from UP. He might have used turpentine (paint thinner) as the propellant to start the fire. His brother, apparently, is admitted in the ICU of a Vashi hospital. This madman wasn't under the influence of alcohol while being arrested. Apparently, he even tried sexually assaulting the lady sub-inspector and took off his clothes inside his cell!!

At the end of the day, I can only thank god for limiting the damage to the paint of the cars and keeping the fire outside the house. If not for the thoughtful and timely intervention by the neighbours, both my cars would have been gutted to soot. My home, too, would have burned down if not for the shut windows, which largely kept the flames outside.

Paint job experts: Please review the damage to the cars shown in the pictures below. Can this be restored without a repaint? Any tips to restore fire-damaged vehicles?

Cheers!
DueLLeR
sorry about your cars mate, but unfortunately, i dont think you can repair the paint without repainting, you can go to a authorised Garage, and claim insurance under rioting cover. you are bound to get full refund, as the painting shall be covered under Labour charges, which do not come under the depreciation rules of the claim settlements section of insurance
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 11:15   #64
BHPian

This is utterly shocking!! and have no words to condem the act. Hope Insurance will pay to get them re-painted and the solace is that the petrol tanks did not catch the fire. However, there is no amount that can be compensate the agony you would have gone through to look at your beloved cars in such a state.

takecare and drive safely
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 11:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Dueller,
I am shocked after reading your post. This is horrible man. Try talking to your dealer if things can be sorted out without complete painting the car.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 13:04   #66
BHPian

Where are you Dueller?? Whatever happened was outrageous, I feel sorry for you but, things can not be changed. So, let all of us know how did you go about handling the issue. Any news from insurance company/police/the paint job?
whitesquall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:17   #67
BHPian

UPDATE:

Thank you all for your support during my hour of need. After washing the cars with Diesel and Car Shampoo, the damage seems lesser. However, the problem is the completely molten car cover that has stuck in places on the paint. I'm planning to wet the cars well with water to loosen out the molten plastic and use something to scrape out the molten plastic. For the blemishes on the paint, I tried using "Scratch Out" but it doesn't seem to work. I might try using a diluted solution paint thinner/remover to see if it works. The Palio's bumper thankfully is not deformed. It has only developed rough patches at places because of the heat. Zen wasn't so lucky, along with the bumper, the Suzuki cowl over the rear number plate has melted in the center.

We're now working towards replacing the window glass and sun shade in our home. I will take the cars out to the workshop and call up the insurance company later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
WHAT THE HELL???! I would have been a murderer by now... but then thank god, it is what it is, nothing more. IMHO, a repaint is needed - no expert I am, though.
I felt like bajaoing that guy too! I'm trying to be patient with the guy and my cars. Will try out a couple of things before I consider repainting - especially for the Palio. It is less than two months old and after a repaint, it will never be NEW again. I might, as well, live with a couple of blemishes here and there! Besides, the elders in our society think that is a good "nazar utaro" for the new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitm View Post
Really sorry to see this. Just bad luck!

Btw Which society do you live in?
Urja, sector 10A. What about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Outrageous! Am shocked that this can happen to your car and house parked inside the society premises!

Hope you are able to get everything restored back quickly, and the scoundrel who was responsible for this act gets his share of severe punishment. That he dared to assault people calls for stricter punishments.
The guy would have probably been thrashed by the cops last night. In addition to the attempted sexual assault and damaging property, this dude tried assaulting a lady inspector inside the police station! Clearly, he is not sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
unfortunate that such events have occurred and like said by others lucky that it stopped at this much damage!

Check if your insurance cover's arson, you could try that way and get it painted. I guess that's your best bet!

Anyway the way I see it repainting is the only way to get your car back in the shape you would like.
For the Zen, yes, I can try this option. But for the Palio, if the cost of repainting the right fender and doors is less than 10k, it makes no sense to use up insurance. I will lose my NCB and pay more premium next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
thats really bad maan
iam shocked.
what was the pourpose of the whole thing?
i hope that fellow is given a sound thrashing by the cops.
i feel good polishing should take care of the vehicles.
Yes, I'm going to try a host of techniques - polishing, scratch remover, paint thinner/remover, petrol. I might lose the shine in certain places but the blemishes will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Feel real bad for you mate.
The Fiat requires a full body re-paint, fire damage has gone through the clear coat and the colour coat into the metal. No other option I'm afraid.
I feared the same. Thankfully, that has not happen and the damage is limited to the clear coat. The Diesel/Shampoo wash confirmed this. The door handle and side strips will require replacement, but their cost is negligible when compared to a full repaint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A very sad incident.
I really wonder if there were other cars parked. I am also surprised that why only your cars were targeted. May be you are the first building or your cars were properly covered.

I wonder how other residents did not take timely action as the crimes this madman had committed were pretty serious.

I cannot think of any future steps that can be taken to prevent this except a better security arrangement.
Only my cars were parked at that time. All other cars were out on duty! Yes, my home is on the ground floor and one comes across it first when they enter the society premises. In fact, the residents were the ones who removed the car covers before the cars could be completely gutted. Another resident came banging on our door to alert us of the fire, which would have been largely undetected because of the closed windows. As for the security, there are two watchmen at the gate now - two for the day time and two for the night. At no point in time in the 24 hours, will the gate have no one watching over. The watchman who had his two hour lunch break has been WARNED big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Make that guy pay for your damages!
This guy has no memory of what he did. He is really insane. When I went to the Police station, he kept pleading to me "Saab maine kya kiya hai? Jaane do na..." He is a painter/plasterer by profession with his brother in ICU for malaria. I don't think he can afford to pay for the damages, considering he is a daily wage earner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Where are you Dueller?? Whatever happened was outrageous, I feel sorry for you but, things can not be changed. So, let all of us know how did you go about handling the issue. Any news from insurance company/police/the paint job?
First, the home gets fixed. Then the cars. The cops have him in custody and he's going to cool his heels in the lock up for a long time to come. If not, he's going to be sent to a mental asylum.
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:25   #68
BANNED

Dueller.

My God you do have patience man.

Sad to see whats happened, but with the kind of courage you are going around doing the damage control is great.

Keep up the patience levels and Best of luck.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:26   #69
BHPian

DueLLer:

I admire your patience! What happened to you is truly unbelievable - like Mark Twain said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense!"

I do wish you to come out of this travail as soon as possible and get things back to normal.

Cheers (while still in disbelief)
diffsoft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:32   #70
BHPian

Dueller

this is shocking really, as a few days ago some mad man had broken the windshields of the car in sector 19, and it was a major damage. what has world come to where people like these roam around freely doing what they want.

thankfully it did not spread to the fuel tank otherwise the whole society would have suffered.

Mansi

Last edited by manaa45 : 13th November 2008 at 14:34.
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

Damn thats shocking man !!!

Anish - I feel so bad looking at the damage to the cars and the house but as you say things are looking better after the wash.

thank God no one from your family was hurt in the incident.

As for that guy - I hope the cops deal with him in a way he should be dealt with.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Dueller

this is shocking really, as a few days ago some mad man had broken the windshields of the car in sector 19, and it was a major damage. what has world come to where people like these roam around freely doing what they want.

thankfully it did not spread to the fuel tank otherwise the whole society would have suffered.

Mansi
Hey Mansi! I know what you mean. Vashi is becoming an unsafe place. People in the vicinity instantly drew comparisons to the gateway murder case that took place a couple of years ago. If not the cars and the home, this guy would have leashed his terror on the women in the building. He did try it, and the woman is still in shock.

I recall your hubby having an automotive business in Vashi. Do you specialize in painting?

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 13th November 2008, 14:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering if that guy was drunk or mentally unbalanced?
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 15:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I am wondering if that guy was drunk or mentally unbalanced?
He wasn't drunk. After arresting him, the cops immediately took him for a medical test. He wasn't under the influence of alcohol at least. Cannot rule out drugs. But by judging his behavior, he comes across as a mentally unstable pervert, especially targetting women.
Old 13th November 2008, 16:08   #75
BHPian

might sound a little rude, but point to note is that we are talking about someone who is ill. His brother is unwell and this guy has broken down mentally. All actions/words that has to stand scrutiny probably applies to people with sound mind. I guess the person who needs some sound thrashing is the watchman who could have prevented this happening.

i feel sad that you were at the receiving end of this traumatic incident.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote