Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

well Zaks, you just ended up having a bad day and brushed the wrong guy. yesterday one wagon-R decided to use my rear bumper as a stopping mechanism and he popped out a reverse-sensor. i got down, popped it in, asked him if was a 'L' - and advised him to stick a L coz he drove like one, shook hands and drove away. This was in broad-daylight at 9AM!!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 17:01   #17
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Why do you say that?

But my question was what would be the gain/reduction in insurance premiums if I don't claim? for ex: If I am paying 10,000 per year then would it be if I started claiming the insurance?

Yeah, he was a little threatening and also I was not clear about the rules.
No Claim bonus can be upto 20%, which is a big amount YoY.
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 19:46   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 979
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

I have the luck of the devil, have never collected a dime, except for one time a govt vehicle sideswiped my car where I was legally parked, took off half my bumper and one headlight - registered a complaint with the police and sent the department a legal notice. The department head in turn called the driver (who had not reported the incident) and sent him to my place to settle the matter out-of-court. I finally settled it for about 80 per cent of my costs.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 19:55   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,536
Thanked: 80,214 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
In case of FIR are the vehicles in question impounded?
Not unless there has been a serious injury, death or loss to public property.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 20:13   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not unless there has been a serious injury, death or loss to public property.
Oh, is it! My understanding was (or rather, my assumption) that vehicles when involved in an accident and, if reported to the police, will require it to be kept in the station for some time.

This was one reason why when I met an accident recently ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...te-tn-bus.html (My tryst with a rogue Private TN bus) ) I did not take the option of taking them to the police!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:56   #21
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not unless there has been a serious injury, death or loss to public property.
Is it true? The following incident happened to one of my friends: He was standing outside his building in BLR. A Santro side swiped his properly parked swift. He quickly noted down the number and went to the nearest police station. They told him that if the car number was given to them in the FIR, they would have to impound his car too to inestigate the matter. They told him that the best thing would be to just put in the FIR that he couldnt see the car number ( which I amsure would make the life of cops easy).
My friend did as they told him as he didnt want his car to suffer more at the police station as we hear a lot of parts/etc being stolen when cars are parked there. He came back with his notion confirmed that never go to the cops.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:19   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,536
Thanked: 80,214 Times
Default

f1fan, as you know, in the end, it depends on the police officer. However, I have never seen a car impounded for a small - medium - large accident with another car. ONLY if there has been a major injury, death or damage to public property will the car be confiscated (in addition to drunk driving, drugs, guns etc. )
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 10:12   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 979
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
A Santro side swiped his properly parked swift. He quickly noted down the number and went to the nearest police station. They told him that if the car number was given to them in the FIR, they would have to impound his car too to inestigate the matter. They told him that the best thing would be to just put in the FIR that he couldnt see the car number ( which I amsure would make the life of cops easy).
The real reason for this is that it makes it easier for the cops as there is one less case to investigate.
If you give them the number, they will have to find the owner, summon him, register the case, and so on. Extra work which only adds to the statistics they must report every month!
So you will find the police will do their damndest to persuade you not to increase their caseload!
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 10:24   #24
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
f1fan, as you know, in the end, it depends on the police officer. However, I have never seen a car impounded for a small - medium - large accident with another car. ONLY if there has been a major injury, death or damage to public property will the car be confiscated (in addition to drunk driving, drugs, guns etc. )
I met with a major accident while coming to Bangalore, i had to leave the car at police station for RTO inspection on the damage of the car (as this would be required to file in court along with FIR), the RTO came very next day and after the inspection and the report, police asked me to take the vehicle home immediately.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 13:28   #25
BHPian
 
topedgemonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

In case you have an accident and decide to pay some money to the other person to settle it instead of filing a complaint, you should get it in writing that both your cars (mention regn numbers also) had an accident and that the other guy accepts whatever amount you have given as full and final settlement of the issue.

I have heard of cases where people collect money first, then they go meet their relatives and lawyer (who convince them they will be able to get more if they go to court), then they would file a complaint in court claiming that it was a hit and run. And you wouldnt have any proof that you paid him money as compensation.

That would be like paying for trouble
topedgemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 14:36   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

People in Delhi are becoming reckless day by day. I saw a small accident involving a Maruti omni van and a verna morning 8 am 3 days ago. The omni hit the verna from behind. Frankly speaking the front side of omni was completely bent inside and verna got a swollen bumper. So instead of looking at the kids in the van or the damage. Ther verna guy was up his sleeve to beat the van driver! Just that he couldnt do that because of so much public around.
furobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 20:16   #27
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topedgemonk View Post
In case you have an accident and decide to pay some money to the other person to settle it instead of filing a complaint, you should get it in writing that both your cars (mention regn numbers also) had an accident and that the other guy accepts whatever amount you have given as full and final settlement of the issue.

I have heard of cases where people collect money first, then they go meet their relatives and lawyer (who convince them they will be able to get more if they go to court), then they would file a complaint in court claiming that it was a hit and run. And you wouldnt have any proof that you paid him money as compensation.

That would be like paying for trouble
How does this go- Once the parties leave the site of the accident what is the proof that each claim one makes later is valid, I mean isn't it debatable what each is saying. What if I say in my case for example that it was he who hit my car
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 15:12   #28
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Hi zaks,

One primary question, how did you know that the person was the owner of the CRV ?

Secondly do you have any record of the transaction ? According to the IPC its a crime to extort money. (no offence to any one meant).

Did he open the car and show you the registration papers & his identity papers ?

You need not give any money to anyone, my opinion (which is based out of Bombay and West Indian state's - Rajasthan Gujarat & Maharashtra ) experiences, a CRV owner will not haggle for Rs. 2000.00.

You should have refused to pay.

My 2 cents.

regards

M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 15:56   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
a CRV owner will not haggle for Rs. 2000.00
Oh my friend you will surprised if you know more. Forget CRV owners. 2 weeks back a BMW 5 series comes out of Leela Palace, old airport road, blore dashes across the road to take the uturn in front of Manipal Hospital and brushes a santro while doing so. The owner gets out and starts demanding 5k for that from the santro owner. Dont know what happened later though.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 16:12   #30
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh my friend you will surprised if you know more. Forget CRV owners. 2 weeks back a BMW 5 series comes out of Leela Palace, old airport road, blore dashes across the road to take the uturn in front of Manipal Hospital and brushes a santro while doing so. The owner gets out and starts demanding 5k for that from the santro owner. Dont know what happened later though.
I think the BMW owner would have thought its my mistake, now attack is the best form of defense

On a serious note, if there is serious damage apart from a brush or scratch then its advisable to exchange license numbers, insurance policy details and file for a claim rather than extorting money.

Yes, this can be a case of intimidation and intention to extort money.

Cheers.

M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unfortunate but my spark met with small accident bkm Technical Stuff 8 25th October 2010 19:12
How a modified car and a small misunderstanding can get you into trouble!! jassi Street Experiences 49 27th March 2010 16:33
Small Accident due to suspected suspension rod-end failure jalsa777 Street Experiences 17 12th March 2009 13:17
Small accident in parking lot :((( amu1983 Street Experiences 34 11th March 2007 17:56
Small accident on Bannerghatta Rd. (Bangalore) Sush Shifting gears 3 29th September 2005 11:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks