Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st December 2008, 17:42   #1
BHPian

Default Safe Driving

Well, itís the last day of the year today!
So many memories to cherish, and the eagerness to experience the ones yet come! Itís good bye to 2008 and welcome to 2009!

Lets take a pledge that we will follow some rules in a true team-bhpian spirit today and tomorrow.

- Concentrate on driving, not on passengers, mobile phones, or other distractions.
- Never overtake within 30 metres of a pedestrian crossing and never change the lane suddenly by cutting in front of another vehicles.
- Never mix Drink with Drive.
- National Maximum Speed Limit for a Light Motor Vehicle & a Transport Vehicle is 65 Km/Hr.
- Traffic Signal - Red is for STOP, green for GO and yellow for GET PREPARED, either to stop or to go.
- Violation of traffic rule is punishable and so also violation of Provisions of Motor Vehicles Act.

Contribute and share your experience on Team-bhp so that fellow bhpians get benefitted.

Thanks Mods, and all team - bhpians for making such an informative year for all of us.

Hereís wishing you a happy and prosperous new year

Drive Safe!!!
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 18:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very well summarized. I have laready pledged for these things on other thread. Anyways, I will take the pledge once again on the above. The above pledges should be kept on reminding people so that atleast by reading these, people will adhere to these things.

One more thing is team-bhp has become more strict on the drinking and driving and have stringent rules set (recently made) which will lead to infractions and repetition will lead to permanent ban. (Just go throught he rules section). Thanks to superadmin for this.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 18:37   #3
BHPian

I will take the pledge to drive safely and follow the rules .Wishing all team bhpians a Safe, Happy and Prosperous NEW YEAR.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 19:06   #4
BHPian

I make the following resolutions

Less Plonking on roads

Try & drive within 50km/h (atleast make it 60)

Try & keep my right foot light so as to get more than 10kmpl like my dad

No ciggys while drivng(why only driving no ciggys, waise i hvn't smoked for the last one week, so this resolution has been implemented)

No high volumes in colonies( i dnt do that though)

Apart from that nothing i can remember to promise.
So, wishing all fellow t-bhpians & other citizens a very happpppy, prosperous & safe new year.

Hope the speed limit is raised & the recession ends so as i get a good job.

Till then i m on a highway to hell!!
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
- Concentrate on driving, not on passengers, mobile phones, or other distractions.
- Never overtake within 30 metres of a pedestrian crossing and never change the lane suddenly by cutting in front of another vehicles.
- Never mix Drink with Drive.
- Speed Limit for a Light Motor Vehicle & a Transport Vehicle is 95 Km/Hr.
- Traffic Signal - Red is for STOP, green for GO and yellow for GET PREPARED, either to stop or to go.
- Violation of traffic rule is punishable and so also violation of Provisions of Motor Vehicles Act.

Hereís wishing you a happy and prosperous new year

Drive Safe!!!

I will follow this. Wish that we get the all best cars on 2010.

Wishing you all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR
ritz830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 19:57   #6
BHPian

Don't forget to wear seat belts. If your are going to buy a new car this new year make sure it has ABS and airbags.

Actually govt. should penalise people who are not wearing seatbelts and use that money to subsidize car manufacturers to airbags and abs.
vinayasurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 16:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayasurya View Post
Don't forget to wear seat belts. If your are going to buy a new car this new year make sure it has ABS and airbags.

Actually govt. should penalise people who are not wearing seatbelts and use that money to subsidize car manufacturers to airbags and abs.
, yet the cops dont seem to bother with seatbelts themselves. Anyway the good thing is that in Mumbai the cops have become very strict in the last year and I see more and more people wearing seatbelts and helmets (while on bikes).
elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 17:31   #8

Default Safe Driving

I was going through the thread "Accidents in India" and thought many of these accidents were avoidable if drivers were more careful. I have searched for any thread about safe driving and could not find any. I think it is important that as much as we love our cars/bikes and enjoy driving, we have must drive safely and spread the message of safe driving to people in our immediate circle. I strongly feel there should be an active thread about safe driving in Team-BHP. Many members are from different countries and they can share the safety tips in practice in those countries.

I think it is really useful to go through an article in the following link.

Defensive Driving: 70 Rules to Live By

Regards,
All Terrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:34   #9
BHPian

Default Suggestion

To all TBHPIANS,

We have such a large crowd here and at least 1% (considering very minimum) of driving community. Plus their share of friends. All in all say about 3% (again considering very minimum). Then we have share of Auto and Cab users who at least read through TBHP.

Why not we take the responsibility of driving safe. Its just matter of time that everyone starts following it. To start off, why not we

Adhere to Lane Discipline and look behind before breaking the lane.
Avoid High Beams during City Drives
Avoid breaking signals, even if its late night.
Avoid Honking when at signals
Use Indicators Liberally.

And for Cabbie and Auto Users, they instruct them to follow these or refuse to pay.

I know we will have problems, but again without a problem its never a challenge.

I saw atleast 2 vehicles with TBHP stickers on them this morning on Old Airport Road and enroute to ITPL, which where being driven rashly and was caring a damm for signals. However lets not get into who they where, lets get into how to cultivate this habit of following rules.

I recently happened to go a small country in west africa, which we assume is a backward country, but trust me guys We tried tempting the driver of our cab to honk, break lanes, break signals. But God, Oh man after 3 months we were like fools in front of him. And by no means where the vehicles less. You had prado's, land rovers, hummers, land cruisers, Honda odyssey and all sorts of SUV/MUV's there.

If such a small country with area less than south India, people less than Karnataka's population.

I now in reality in front of computer we might say yes we need to do it or just shrug of this . But folks its time we start acting now. Lets not wait someone (cops) dictating what we need to do. Lets Do it.

If ants can, why not we?

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 18th August 2009 at 13:37.
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Deepak.
I wholeheartedly support your points of view.
Every movement starts in a small way and can build into something huge and effective.
You know, even in our neighbouring Sri Lanka, everyone respects and follows the road rules. One cannot bully the driver into doing anything which is remotely near breaking the rules - they keep to their lane, they follow speed limits, they never cut and dice the way our 2 wheeler idiots dance with death and a whole lot of things.
The good road manners that I have experienced on various visits to Sri Lanka are consistently so much better than what we see in India in our cities.
Yes, I agree with you and would be happy to make a start on this immediately from today!
I urge all TBHP colleagues to do the same!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:48   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Adhere to Lane Discipline and look behind before breaking the lane.
Avoid High Beams during City Drives
Avoid breaking signals, even if its late night.
Avoid Honking when at signals
Use Indicators Liberally.
I think most, if not all are doing this.
Quote:
I saw atleast 2 vehicles with TBHP stickers on them this morning on Old Airport Road and enroute to ITPL, which where being driven rashly and was caring a damm for signals. However lets not get into who they where, lets get into how to cultivate this habit of following rules.
Few of fellow BHPians are desisting from sporting stickers precisely for this reason.
Quote:
If ants can, why not we?
We are not ants, are we? Ants are pre-programmed to walk in straight lines. AFAIK, human learn driving. So that learning part must be fixed. Till then your country will lack driving sense.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:12   #12
BHPian

Ants are pre Programmed, but human beings learn it right. So is it not the right time to learn from them?

For people who know driving, are you advocating to go to classes again.

This the precise reason I said, we need to cultivate the habit of following rules. Its from us the younger generation learn. Lets set a right example in every move of life so atleast they become more civilized than what we are and let them have least of problems in life.

Its we the Indian's and not someone else who comprise of India and we often see complaining about Indian's.

And often seen, people who travel abroad and drive there adhere to road manners and when back to India drive as though driving in playground, its so sick of us.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 18th August 2009 at 14:16.
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 16:19   #13
BHPian

Hi Deepak,

Views are well appreciated, for any sane lane driver, our road mannerism is an absolute nightmare.

Honking, high beam, erratic lane change etc are prevalent in most of our roads across the countyr with different intensity. I believe credit of our unruly road mannerism must be jointly shared by Individuals, Authorities and Uncontrolled traffic explosion. We as an individual have very little care for our society so whats special on the roads to rein us? Municipal and development agencies are sluggish and clueless on the prevaling situation. Development projects like flyover, underpass, toll roads etc have already exhibited their limitation courtesy our unprecedented traffic growth.

Leave aside other countries, we a have wonderful and perfect disciplined traffic city within India, its Gangtok. I visited this capital hill station few years back and was amazed to see the traffic management of the city. Not aware of the present scenario, but I am wondering today while responding what made Gangtok work while others gradually failed.

How many times have we all witness below mentioned scenario:

Imagine there is some breakdown on the highway and as you approach the breakdown point you notice few cars lined up in affected lane to allow smooth opposite side traffic. After few moment as more car pile in the affected lane, one gentlemotorist breaks the rule and start approaching on the lane meant for opposite side traffic. What happens next we all know better.

I am not sure how well your advice on road etiquettes will be accepted rather translated/exhibited by we all Gentlemotorist.
TarCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 20:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarCruiser View Post
Leave aside other countries, we a have wonderful and perfect disciplined traffic city within India, its Gangtok. I visited this capital hill station few years back and was amazed to see the traffic management of the city.
Generally, people who reside in mountainous regions have better road manners and are more sensitive to other road users as they have to make way for on-coming traffic on narrow, sometimes treacherous hilly roads.

If road manners have to improve, the whole system of issuing driving licences and driver training have to be overhauled. With bigger and better roads being built, basics like lane discipline have to be incorporated in the training process.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 23:08   #15

Default Safe Driving videos

Hello Everyone,

I did a search in various combinations, but did not find the following references in our forums, hence I am mentioning the website useful for Indian Drivers. The various videos seem to be taken in UK but the concepts are applicable to be implemented in India, IMHO. The author specifically says for the benefit of Indian Drivers, as these are not taught in Indian Driving Schools.

Driving a Cultural Change in India: Better & Safer Road Safety and Traffic in Indiatravelling in india, driving in india, learning to drive in india, driving test, free online driver education awareness training videos covering topics such as blind s

= shishya=
shishya is offline   Reply With Quote