Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th January 2009, 08:58   #1
BHPian

Default Highway through bandipur and MooleHole : Closed now for night traffic

guys, The high ways passing thro Bandipur ( to ooty and gudalur) and high way to Kerala passing thro Moolehole forest ( to waynad) will be closed from 21st of This month for night traffice ( 6 pm till 6 Am) like what has happened in Bawli road to Manandavadi. This is cleared by Ministry of Forests in Delhi and Mysore and Chamarajnagar DC are clearing the file soon. so we need to plan our travel plans accordingly
nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 10:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is news to me. The only roads which I know is closed is the Hunsur - Kutta road via Nagarhole, and the one via Masinagudi to Ooty after 8 PM, since when did the roads via Bavali to Mananthavady get closed. I doubt if the roads to Bathery & Gudalur would be closed for night traffic because it would mean chaos.

Mods: I think this should be moved to either the Routes folder or merged with the "Road to Kerala" thread

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 13th January 2009 at 10:27.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 19:27   #3
BHPian

bawli rod is closed for night traffic froma long time. the decision to stop night traffic has been taken on other roads too as there were couple of accidents ,one in which a truck ran over a elephant calf in bandipur, one truck killed a big male tiger and a bison. also lot of smuggling of cattle and timber is happening there. recently we saw the accident photos in vijay karnataka news paper.
nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:46   #4

for me this is good news.
I have personally seen how road users drive at high speeds inside protected areas like nagarhole / bandipur.
This is in spite of sign boards at regular intervals that urge travelers to slow down.
Depleted forest cover, poachers and rash drivers. what else do the animals have to contend with?
optimystic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good move! Atleast the animals in the jugle get some peace of mind.If they can't move around freely at night,when will they?
I hope they ramp up survelliance too,to stop poaching!!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Also heard that the road to Ooty via Masinagudi would be permanently blocked to traffic after few months. Reason is they're planning to make it a protected area. Once this happens there would be only one route to reach OOty that is via Gudalur. For blore travellers this would be long route. Also heard that people in those parts have started agitating against this decision.

If someone knows better please enlighten me regarding this.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 10:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ Sankar - The Mudumualai WLS is being converted into a Project Tiger Reserve hence the core zone, buffer zone etc are being enlarged, having said that the Nagarhole - Kutta road along with HDKote - Mananthavadi roads traverse through Nagarhole which is a Project Tiger Reserve but the roads have not been permanently closed so I doubt if the Masinagudi road would be closed permanently. The reason why people are agitating is because they would lose their rights to the land surrounding the Masinagudi area, also it could be a case of the resort lobby instigating as well.

Nevertheless I would be very happy if both the roads (Gundlupet - Gudalur & Gundlupet - Bathery) roads are closed in the night because have seen very little respect shown to wildlife by most drivers while driving through these forests. Once I have narrowly missed hitting a Gaur on the Gundlupet - Bathery highway even though I was travelling at about 30kmph (the earlier days when the fire line was not cleared completely on both the highways).

At the cost of being provocative we have had a lot of people in this forum who have claimed lot of records on time taken from Bangalore to various destinations of Kerala while driving through these areas, I dunno how many have slowed down until they cross the forest.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 23:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

On a personal note I would be very happy if such a decision is implemented all over India on all those state & national highways that pass through a reserve forest. This would give the animals a breather and in turn the bio-diversity of the forests would be preserved for a long time to come.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 23:20   #9
BHPian

This will save the animal as well as the tree. Lets not destroy the tree as they are getting chopped in the City.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:54   #10
BHPian

A very good move indeed. This is a serious move from Ministry of Forests as the request was been pending for many years now.

I am sure there will be heavy lobby from resort/land owners and as well as transport organisations.

Hope to see it being implemented and am sure it would be tough decision to do so.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 11:46   #11
BHPian

thats a fantastic move and also someone has to take action on those night safaris.

last time i was there i have seen a python ran over by a bus or a truck , so sad to see that.
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 16:25   #12
BHPian

This is good news. The Bandipur road (Mysore to Ooty) was in a bad shape some years back, which caused people to slow down anyways, and enjoy the monkeys, deer & elephants which were always abundant. Later, some stretches were repaired, and some people (as usual) were driving at 80~100 here. Some resorts in Masinagudi area were literally taking tourists for a ride on this road at night. Claiming to be a "night safari", gullible tourists were packed in an open jeep, and driven up & down this road :-D
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Have the roads been closed? Any updates?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 00:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Have the roads been closed? Any updates?
Hm, are you serious? I really thought this was just a wishful thinking thread!

How can they just close a road with heavy traffic? And I mean the road to Wayanad. A lot of overnight buses also use that road, both government and private...
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 08:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Hm, are you serious? I really thought this was just a wishful thinking thread!

How can they just close a road with heavy traffic? And I mean the road to Wayanad. A lot of overnight buses also use that road, both government and private...
Exactly tadu. I was told that there was major involvement from the local smuggling lobbies around the Pulpally/Mananthavaady area to have this done(close bandipur stretch) since the Baavali road is closed during the nights.

The Baavali stretch is pretty famous for its notorious activities. Am sure this wasnt closed during the nights for concern towards wildlife, rather for some one's personal gain.
rjstyles69 is online now   Reply With Quote