Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th January 2009, 19:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

If tyres aren't maintained well, they are bound to fail.

Similar case in our house. I regularly check the pressure in the OHC tyres but my parents never do it in the Wagon R and Innova.

While my tyres have had no issues in 20k kms of hard driving, i've lost count of the number of punctures the other 2 have faced so far.

Trust me, its better to fill 2-3 psi more than run your car with 2-3 psi less than the recomended pressure. Most tyre failuers are not caused due to excess pressure build up, they are caused by the weakening of the sidewall due to low psi.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 00:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Err, I have a doubt here: Under-inflation is what leads to bursts more often than over-inflation, unless the over-inflation is very large.
Under-inflation by even small amounts causes more sidewall flexing and overheats a tyre.
Am I going wrong somewhere?
Aren't we always safer with 3 psi more, than 3 psi less, than the recommended pressure?
Quite right. If you are going for a longish highway drive which will involve higher speeds, you'd be better off filling couple psi more. This is also what I do.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 08:49   #33
BHPian

Got a new set of Michelline for my Indica. The dealer strongly suggested that its always better to marginaly over inflate the tyre than under infate. How true does it hold. He too is of an opinion that the side walls tend to wear out much faster and that could be much more damaging. Often one has more damaged side walls than used up treads.
What do ya say?
Ravi Kashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 10:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Kashyap View Post
He too is of an opinion that the side walls tend to wear out much faster and that could be much more damaging. Often one has more damaged side walls than used up treads.
What do ya say?
Ravi, this is not quite correct. The sidewalls do not WEAR OUT; it is the additional flexing, if under-inflated, that produces considerably more heat and this causes the air in the tyre to expand way beyond permissible limits, leading to a burst.
You're always safer with slight over-inflation, to the tune of 2 or 3 psi.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 11:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

May their Souls rest in peace.

I also agree, overinflation by a couple of points is safer on long runs. I always keep 32 on all tyres of my Scorp, check it religiously every 3 days. I've seen most drivers sit inside the car and allow the attendant to do the job. EVERY TIME (much to the amusement of my family members, other car drivers and the tyre guys) I get down, stand near the electronic meter to see it gives a long Beep @ 32, ensure the valve caps are secured and tight on all fours before driving away. On long drives, in the mornings get it checked first thing in the morning at the nearest pump.

Tyre burst is like the luck of the draw, when you get it at high speed, your guardian anger needs to be near-by. By checking pressure constantly and changing it 3-5K kms before recommended mielages / wears, you can reduce the probablity of a burst and consequent morbidity / mortality.

----
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 20:31   #36
BHPian

Default Montero tyre burst 4killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
The persons who was killed were my school principal, director and their relatives,
There were two cars each driven by a driver,
just half hour before the crash director of the school (owner of the cars) changed seats with the Montero driver,
Both the drivers were traveling behind the Montero in another car (Mercedes E class or Endeavour )
The cars were at a high speed ( 140- 160 Kmph) and the driver behind them spotted a wobble of the Montero's wheel and called up The Director to inform him about the wobble, but sadly just when he came to know about this it was too late.
The Airbags according to sources did not open!
Rahul singh Ji Extremely sorry to hear this news. I have seen the various responses by BHPians . The most important factor from you post is the fact that the Vehicles were at HIGH SPEED when the accident occured. Were these tyres designed to do such high speeds?? The Vehicle might be but not the tyres.
During one of the flights I took, my Co-passenger beside me was from the Tyre Industry and we got talking. He inadvertantly mentioned that there were many tyres sold in India which should not be used at High speeds . He went on to add that tyre technology for high speeds of 250kms was vastly different from tyres designed to do 150kms and again differered for lower speeds.
The long and short of it was tyres that we buy in India is not neccessarily fit for doing high speeds.
Incedentaly The Mumbai pune E-way has a very high Accident rate due to Tyre bursts probably due to the fact that heat generated in the tyres are very high due to Concrete roads .
I am not an authority on tyres but will definetely like to know if anyone has any inputs on this??

Rgds
Narayan
Drivealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 21:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I agree with hvkumar on his belief that one should never fill air in hot tyres and should do it only at a pump with an electronic meter. I follow that principle too but sometimes i have had to break them in emergencies. Other than that check when leaving the town, preferably before starting and vice versa.
I agree with filling at cold, and at big pumps with electronic meter. Even when you do that, sometimes it goes awry. Once I filled up petrol and air at the biggest BP pump in Margao in Goa, and drove back to Bangalore. All through the trip, the car seemed to jump more than usual at the potholes, speedbreakers and rear passengers complained of bad jerks and asked me to slow down over bad surfaces (I was doing my usual speed for similar stretches which the Lancer handles reasonably well). Back in Bangalore, when I went to fill up in a pump some days later, the air pressure in all 4 of my tyres was 36psi instead of the 30psi which I saw I had filled on the electronic airmeter at the pump. So, better not to fill air in any unknown pumps if one can avoid it.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 21:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

please shine light on nitrogen filled Tyre can it avoid such accidents or is it worse..
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 21:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
The long and short of it was tyres that we buy in India is not neccessarily fit for doing high speeds.
Incedentaly The Mumbai pune E-way has a very high Accident rate due to Tyre bursts probably due to the fact that heat generated in the tyres are very high due to Concrete roads .
I am not an authority on tyres but will definetely like to know if anyone has any inputs on this??
You are correct the tyre can not resist at higher speed. It is very much possible to get burst due to the Heat that generate in High Speed. The Air inside the tyre expand and create more pressure to the tyre wall.

In another thread some person was arguing that If we have High End car then why cant we drive at high speed. They should consider this incident.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 07:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
You are correct the tyre can not resist at higher speed. It is very much possible to get burst due to the Heat that generate in High Speed. The Air inside the tyre expand and create more pressure to the tyre wall.

In another thread some person was arguing that If we have High End car then why cant we drive at high speed. They should consider this incident.
Arindam, Thanks for the input. In fact the issue has been raised even in Parliment due to the abnormal no of tyre bursts on the MumPune E-way.
They have asked CIRT to submit areport. I hope they find out the truth.
Pls see below.the website. The Hindu Business Line : CIRT study on tyre bursts on expressway

Warm Rgds
Narayan
Old 19th January 2009, 09:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post

Arindam, Thanks for the input. In fact the issue has been raised even in Parliment due to the abnormal no of tyre bursts on the MumPune E-way.
They have asked CIRT to submit areport. I hope they find out the truth.
Pls see below.the website. The Hindu Business Line : CIRT study on tyre bursts on expressway

Warm Rgds
Narayan
Old 19th January 2009, 12:30   #42
BHPian

A well known skin doctor from Bangalore lost his teenaged son under similar circumstances on the same highway. They were driving an Alto when the tyre burst and three young kids were thrown out of the car and died. It's good to hear that there is an investigation going on to figure out the reason for so many tyre bursts causing injuries or deaths to innocent lives..
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 13:48   #43
BHPian

Default Montero Tyre Burst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
A well known skin doctor from Bangalore lost his teenaged son under similar circumstances on the same highway. They were driving an Alto when the tyre burst and three young kids were thrown out of the car and died. It's good to hear that there is an investigation going on to figure out the reason for so many tyre bursts causing injuries or deaths to innocent lives..
Dear Mr Rangaraj, As of yesterday 4 more people have died on Mum-Pune E-way due to SUV tyre burst. When are we all going to wake up ??
How many innocent lives are lost
May be Tyre manufacturers should put in a Caution note on Tyres which will read "" Not to be used for speeds above 80 kms on Concrete roads"" so on so forth for diiferent class/quality of tyres. Atleast this way the users will get educated as to what tyre they use is capable of high speeds or not.

Pls also see the May 2008 Times of India Report below which is actually shocking.
Rgds
M.Narayan
Pune-Mumbai Expressway Has Lowest Speed Limit

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif][SIZE=2]By [COLOR=#0000ff]Sumit Kumar[/COLOR], Section [COLOR=#0000ff]Roads in Pune[/COLOR]
Posted on Thu May 29, 2008 at 04:01:41 AM EST [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]The Mumbai-Pune Expressway is touted as a world-class `high-speed' expressway that rivals the best on the planet. However, what motorists paying a hefty toll to drive on the route do not know is that it has the lowest speed limit (80 kmph) of most expressways in the world. More ironic is that even with the low speed limit, the highway has one of the highest death rates in the world.
In fact, deaths on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway have been blamed on a number of factors other than just speed --such as tyre bursts, slippery surface during the monsoons and in one mishap a vehicle crashed into a tanker that was watering plants. However, no comprehensive study has been done as yet to determine the reasons that top the list for fatalities, experts said.
Most transport experts TOI spoke to said that by global standards the Mumbai-Pune road would not even qualify as an expressway. In fact, such a low speed limit makes most drivers tend to ignore it and not comply with it at all. The autobahns of Germany are the benchmark that most expressways in the world are measured against. They have a total length of nearly 11,000 kilometres and in 2005 saw 662 deaths. In stark contrast, the 93-km-long Mumbai-Pune Expressway witnessed an average of 300 deaths every year until 2006. While last year the number of fatalities was brought down by tying up with hospitals along the expressway for trauma care, there still were almost 50 mishaps on the road every week
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 20th January 2009, 09:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
also its better to fill in less air before a long nonstop trip, about 2-3 psi lower than the recommended value, since in a long run the tyres heat up much more and get less time to cool down. people tend to overfill air to get more "mileage" which can burst the tyres on a highspeed run.
Although our reasoning might make it appear that the above is true, in reality, its the opposite. Tyres are designed to comfortably withstand upto 10 PSI more than the recommended pressure.
So 2-3 psi above the recommended pressure is no problem, the tyre will take it comfortably.
The real risk is if the tyre is under-inflated as stated by the gentleman below. Underinflation will cause the tyre sidewalls to constantly flex during rotation which will heat up the tyre and in turn tremendously increase the pressure causing it to burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Trust me, its better to fill 2-3 psi more than run your car with 2-3 psi less than the recomended pressure. Most tyre failuers are not caused due to excess pressure build up, they are caused by the weakening of the sidewall due to low psi.
Shan2nu
The other thing I've often noticed is most people tend to put new tyres in front wheels and older tyres behind.
Motor experts recommend the opposite. The tyres with better traction should always be at the back.
Its easier to regain control if the front tyres lose traction, compared to the rear tyre. If the rear tyre loses traction, the the car will spin around making it very difficult to regain control.
reference:
Michelin - Fitting tyres - Why fit new or less worn tyres to the rear?
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 13:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
please shine light on nitrogen filled Tyre can it avoid such accidents or is it worse..
Vinay, Nitrogen behaves just like air; ie. in accordance with the gas laws.
The dangers are not reduced in nitrogen filled tyres.
It is usually the presence of water/water-vapour in air that compounds the problem. This would also be true for nitrogen filled without being thoroughly dried. If, as is common, there are minute quantities of water present in a tyre, the BIG problem comes when this water converts to vapour/steam on the tyre getting heated!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote