Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd May 2014, 11:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Wheels & Tyres being STOLEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A friend had his alloys stolen last month. The car, a Punto, was parked outside his house in Kammanahalli area. A neighbor woke up in the middle of the night, and heard some noises outside. He came out to see a Omni standing next to the car, and when he raised his voice, the guys in the Omni ran away. They had already removed 3 wheels, and were working on the 4th.

After my friend called the cops, they were standing near the car. And an Omni comes by. As soon as my friend & neighbor looked towards the Omni, they sped off !! The audacity to come back to finish the work they had started !
Is this Sudhir's car you are referring to?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Nikhil. The same one.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Wheels & Tyres being STOLEN!

This happened to my cousin brother once. He had parked his Santro on the main road in broad daylight around 10.00AM and gone for a customer meeting. When he returned back around 1.30PM; with the intent of taking the customers out for lunch, the car had all 4 wheels gone and the car bricked up!!
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

People in UK have this awesome system of having locking nuts on each alloy wheels, I don't think our thieves are smart enough to find their way around that and even if they did, it would take a lot of time for them which will be a bummer for them.

Secondly turn the sensitivity of motion sensors in the Alarm to full, any shake and I'll start blaring with the disadvantage being dogs and people leaning against the car too will make it sing but alteast nothing in your car will be stolen.

There have been many attempts at night to steal the Pirate flag on my aerial on top of the car, Suzuki Logo and also alloy wheels once, not once have they been successful. The alarm just goes militant !
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking for a thread like this from past few days to be very honest. The Bhpians who reside or work in Delhi and commute via Pragati Maidan would know that right at the signal which comes after the under pass (from where the right turn goes towards Mayur Vihar and Sarai Kale Khan and DND) there is a middle aged person who knocks on the windows to distract driver's attention on the pretext of showing wheels for the car. This is his way of stealing wheel caps/ Tyres and at times even makes the wheel loose by opening the wheel nut.

Please for the safety sake do not respond to that guy at all. He has pepper colored hair with slight beard and height would be around 5ft 4 inches. I am giving you all these details because a couple of days back I took this person to task right in the middle of the traffic when he pushed against the rear left quarter panel of my City I-Vtec.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 23rd May 2014 at 23:20. Reason: spelling and more 1st hand info added.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 16:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I have been looking for a thread like this from past few days to be very honest. The Bhpians who reside or work in Delhi and commute via Pragati Maidan would know that right at the signal which comes after the under pass (from where the right turn goes towards Mayur Vihar and Sarai Kale Khan and DND) there is a middle aged person who knocks on the windows to distract driver's attention on the pretext of showing wheels for the car. This is his way of stealing wheel caps/ Tyres and at times even makes the wheel loose by opening the wheel nut.

Please for the safety sake do not respond to that guy at all. He has pepper colored hair with slight beard and height would be around 5ft 4 inches. I am giving you all these details because a couple of days back I took this person to task right in the middle of the traffic when he pushed against the rear left quarter panel of my City I-Vtec.

Thanks
Kindly post a photograph on Facebook and let it go viral. Awareness is the biggest weapon.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 18:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Kindly post a photograph on Facebook and let it go viral. Awareness is the biggest weapon.
I do not have a Facebook account buddy but I will take a snap of him the next time I see him.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 10:12   #53
BHPian

Default Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Saw this Merc on NH8 without wheels! I have been seeing this for past 2 days. Yesterday morning, the car was fine with driver waiting for something(Tow vehicle?).
Then in the evening, a patrol car was parked with lane guiding cones to avoid collision. Today morning it sits with no tyres and the bottom skirting was damaged.

I think that the wheels got stolen overnight.

Wheels & Tyres being STOLEN!-merc.png
Sorry for the image as it is a snap from my dash cam.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 23:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
...factory alloys...

Hey guys! Sorry to be starting this thread again!
There have been string of alloy wheel robberies in my area and hence I want to purchase a set of locking wheels nuts. I want the ones with the special keys.
Any ideas and suggestions ?
I want to purchase them ASAP!

@Mods : If posted on the wrong thread please move it to the correct one or a new one for wider reach since this is a serious issue!

Last edited by hrbheda : 12th October 2015 at 23:56.
hrbheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 20:12   #55
BHPian

Guys- Need some help here. I am based out of Pune and am looking for lock nuts for my S-Cross alloys. Anyone has idea where I can source this from? Can't trust the local accessories shop.
Or would anyone know good brands that I can get from a friend in Germany?
shivasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 06:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Skoda vehicles have those locking nuts which can't be opened just like that using standard tools and wheel spanner.

I think now all manufacturers should look at some sort of locking wheel nut. Why would anyone want to lose their car's wheels to some dirty infidel who has nothing better to do in life than to steal others things.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 23:04   #57
BHPian

Thank you. I ordered McGard from Amazon US. Thinking positive. With very few options here in India it means we don't have robberies of such kind. So good.
shivasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 15:07   #58
BHPian

Default Thieves Steal Wheels From 48 Dealership Cars In Just Four Hours

Quote:
Thieves broke in and stole more than $200,000 worth of wheels and tires off 48 new vehicles at a dealership in Tyler, Texas, last weekend.
Link : http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...evy-dealership

Apparently thieves first disabled the lighting system of the lot and the security cameras were not having night vision.

I am sure these tires will be exported out of USA where the tires cannot be tracked.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 15:45   #59
BHPian

Default Re: Thieves Steal Wheels From 48 Dealership Cars In Just Four Hours

Well, Looking at the scale and the way this was done, this looks like a part of some organized crime syndicate to me. I doubt whether the perpetrators will be caught.

Last edited by haria : 28th August 2016 at 16:01.
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 10:46   #60
BHPian

Default Re: Thieves Steal Wheels From 48 Dealership Cars In Just Four Hours

If they knew the camera did not have a night vision I have doubts it could be someone from the dealership itself or maybe someone known to a person in the dealership. Most of the vehicles being camaros, I really doubt how many markets they to export it to because I dont think, apart from a very few, anyone else would want to buy a camaro wheel for his or her car
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote