Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st January 2009, 19:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

iirc, there is directive that violators should not be chased. ( too many folks died /seriously injured trying to escape) . maybe that can be used to advanage
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 21:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

is it a good idea to carry attestted copies of all stuff? if they don't get hold of originals, they can't make us follow them. pay the fine and continue...
last time i was stopped, (not overspeeding routine check), i showed all copies un attessted. the cop told, "you should carry them attested" and asked to carry on.

Last edited by kutlee : 31st January 2009 at 21:50.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 22:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
In my case, I had a tussle and then I said I will pay one. They said, 'Will see you in RTO office when you come for the RC book."

4 visits, a letter and a petty fine later I got my book.

We have too many very young policeman/MVI etc now and hence 'chora thilappa pillerkku'
Dude, do you carry your original RC book along all the time? Its not advisable. IN the event of loss, the procedure to reissue RC is damn cumbersome. An attested photocopy of RC is sufficient.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 22:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
iirc, there is directive that violators should not be chased. ( too many folks died /seriously injured trying to escape) . maybe that can be used to advanage
They done chase you. They used to.. sometime back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
is it a good idea to carry attestted copies of all stuff? if they don't get hold of originals, they can't make us follow them. pay the fine and continue...
last time i was stopped, (not overspeeding routine check), i showed all copies un attessted. the cop told, "you should carry them attested" and asked to carry on.
Attested copies will do. But I guess they can ask you to come to the station later that day and show the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Dude, do you carry your original RC book along all the time? Its not advisable. IN the event of loss, the procedure to reissue RC is damn cumbersome. An attested photocopy of RC is sufficient.
My vehicle was brand new then (4 days old), so didnt have an RC book, just the papers. Mine was a different story Had posted it here 9 months ago when the odo was 150-200kms or so.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 22:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

There was this time when I spent a year in Chennai with an AP regd bike - ALL my documents were photocopies attested by the Dy Commissioner of DVAC (Department of Vigilance and Anti Corruption) - needless to say I was NEVER harassed!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 23:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

i have a card type license and i have taken a color photocopy and laminated the copy so it almost looks like an original one..
in such situations i don't mind giving them that one with the original being safe at home.
BTW my dad got caught once speeding he paid 200 or 300 n got away.
Where exactly is the spot you got caught i rem many people getting caught in palakad is the speed detector stationary or movable like the ones in Bangalore(interceptor)
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 00:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
hence 'chora thilappa pillerkku'
Please translate for our benefit...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 09:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think after reading this, I will never carry original documents with me.
And about the rights they have to take the license, I dont think they deserve this right. Doing 91 is not a crime in any way. This is just one trick to earn some free money.

Are all offenders caught ? I dont think so. If the answer is NO, then what is the implementation of this ? Purely just to earn money.

There are so many laws in India that if we follow them all, we will not be able to breathe.
Using influence is the only way out now. Write a letter to whatever concerned commission is there, but I am not sure if it will help.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 14:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont try to justify what they're doing, Backseat driver. I dont think anybody is under any illusion that they're doing a public service.
Ooops!! Never was the intention.

My point is - law is the law. It may be wrong, but it THE law

What the law ought to be is a different question. We have to obey the law as it is, not as it ought to be.

We can, should to reduce the gap between the "law as it is", and law "as it ought to be".

I have my own notions of what the law ought to be. And my job is law enforcement. (No - nothing related to auto sector). In course of my duties, I have to enforce some archiac and useless laws which nobody follows anyways. I usually leave out the archiac laws during enforcement. Not even the people supposed to be protected by those laws want them. In fact, during an "inspection", I got some strange looks from a Post graduate "protectee" when I asked him whether he enjoys the protection of the so-and-so-archiac law. He almost fell on the floor, laughing.

I always get strange looks from my superiors for doing what I do. Understandable, right? But they do not like the laws I actually enforce. Those are the laws with no loopholes. Enforcement of those laws does not leave much room for "thonniyavasam" (do as I like) on part of anybody, including me.

But the group against whom I am usually "pitted against" too gives me the strange look once in a while. "Sir, you do not want to charge me for <archac law> violation?"

Here is the horrid truth. Everybody likes the archiac laws. The enforcers, coz. they get some reason to threaten. The "victims", coz. they get away with petty bribes (and violation of more serious laws - think of something like violation of lane discipline and not having brake lights in on the roads - or driving without license at all). The politicians - because they can occassionally convene committees and seminars to eliminate the "archiac" laws, and "raisefunds" for the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if it is illegal to drive at 91 kmph they should ban the sale of any vehicle that is capable of reaching such speeds.
Speed limits are (supposed to be) for specific stretches of roads. Unfortunately, every inch of road in Kerala is subject to the 70 KM/hr limit.

Quote:
speeding isnt the only dangerous activity on our roads and is probably the smallest contributor to accidents
100% with you there, again.

Quote:
If they decide to impose rules, they should impose ALL rules and not just pick up stuff arbitrarily and decide to police it. The number of arguements I have had with the cops on speeding fines applied only selectively to expensive cars or SUVs while not bothering with buses, trucks et al is no joke.
With you again.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 16:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Please translate for our benefit...
chora - Blood
thilappa - Boil or Boiling
pillerkku - Kids

To read Hot Blooded Youngsters or

As you would say Amitabh Bachan Zangeer se nikhal kar unke sar pe chad gayee hai

BTW you could be arrested in the US if you are doing anything like 20 Mph over the speed limit and they do suspend your licesne. If you are DUI then god only help your record in USA

Last edited by sreedotk : 1st February 2009 at 16:06.
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 16:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
BTW you could be arrested in the US if you are doing anything like 20 Mph over the speed limit and they do suspend your licesne.
I am sure they do a lot of other things too in the US like post speed limits prominently, warn people that the road is monitored by radar and more importantly have realistic speed limits and not something that was put in place in the Ambassador era. They also have roads that are smooth enough for people to maintain a steady speed on and not have to accelerate during good stretches to make up for time lost on stretches with no surface on them.

The problem happens when we decide to follow them selectively - if we have to do as they do, let us follow them to the T. Lets start with good roads, for instance.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 16:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They also have roads that are smooth enough for people to maintain a steady speed on and not have to accelerate during good stretches to make up for time lost on stretches with no surface on them.
The roads are so good that keeping within the limit is the problem and I am learning it the hard way. I already have 9 points on my license in 7 months of driving and have paid $370 in fine. Another 3 points and my license will be suspended . I am really scared of driving now...
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure they do a lot of other things too in the US like post speed limits prominently, warn people that the road is monitored by radar and more importantly have realistic speed limits and not something that was put in place in the Ambassador era. They also have roads that are smooth enough for people to maintain a steady speed on and not have to accelerate during good stretches to make up for time lost on stretches with no surface on them.

The problem happens when we decide to follow them selectively - if we have to do as they do, let us follow them to the T. Lets start with good roads, for instance.
They post speed limits prominently, yes. Warning people, sometimes. Since it is a money making racket, cops do hide their cars in hard to spot areas and then catch you unawares.

Also, speed limits are not realistic at all, in most places. Illinois and NY for eg have speed limits of 55mph, which anyway no one adheres to. Texas is much better, most freeways are at 70, so you can push till 80-85 hoping the cop is having a good day. Given the smooth roads, they should consider having autobahns in some areas. Oh, no they won't. The counties will go bankrupt, in that case.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 03:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The universal speed limit in canada is 120Kmph.And I guess here as well as in US more focus is done on the fines rather than confiscating your licence or RC book.Imagine paying a $300 fine(Rs.12000) like I did last time and then i swore i will never play with the accelator.I guess usually all drivers employ cruise control here once they reach speeds of 100 and then the remaining journey is under control and under the traffic rules.
Lu€iFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
1. There was no request to pay fine on spot?
2. Was there any tussle with the MVD guys?

These are the 2 unanswered questions which has to be clarified before going any further ahead.
1) No, Me told them i do accept my mistake. The response was ok your licence is with us.
2) No i was very polite since lot of others things was on my head. If i do something wrong it will increase problems.
stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote