Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th February 2009, 20:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an equally lovely story abt auto drivers.

The year was 2006. The month was January. I had just started riding my bike. I had been walking for only 3 weeks after being bed ridden for 3 months. My bike was in a bad shape. First the accident, and then lying at home exposed to the elements for almost 4 months. A friend came home to start the bike.

I rode it slowly to the Bajaj service station near the erstwhile Sagar Apollo Hospital(now, only Sagar hospital) on Bannerghata Road.

I left the bike there and took the documents, my helmet, etc and crossed the road. I hailed an auto to take me back to Jayanagar 5th block. One guy said no. I hailed another. He also said no. Then the signal turned green for the traffic coming from the BTM layout side of the road. One auto driver who was in the middle lane(clearly wanting to go forward) swerved through traffic(on hearing my half hearted shout. Half hearted because I was dead sure he wouldnt take a left) and took the left turn to stop in front of me. He wasnt in his uniform. His auto was scrubbed of all the paint(it was the colour of that primer thing used for vehicles just before painting).

He asked me where I wanted to go. I said Jayanagar 5th block. He said he'll drop me.

The auto doesnt have a meter. I make up my mind that he is out to cheat me. I dont say anything to him. I know that route very well and I decide I will not pay more than Rs. 25/-

We reach my house and I get down and I open my wallet to give him money. He then says "No sir, I dont want". I'm shocked. I ask him why?

He says "Sir, I saw you limping across the road and saw two auto drivers say no to you, so I decided to drop you. My auto is not meant for business right now as it has to go for painting."

I was flabbergasted. I insist and after a short while, he accepts my money. I dont have change for 50 and I hand him a 50 rupee note not wanting any change back. He insists and gives me back Rs.30/-!!

This was the best auto ride of my life and I wish I could meet many more people like him!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 21:00   #17
BHPian

Very touching story indeed. Nice to hear about honest autowallahs.
Hats off to him.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 21:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Really inspiring
Where is the number? May be you can check with him before posting the number and share here at T-BHP.
He is OK with me sharing the number with you guys. If you want it right away I can PM it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Please do not take it as an offense, But, aren't we missing the point that the auto-guy was overcharging just like any other while trying to make his moolah?
Agreed. Though that was never the point I was trying to make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Touching story. If there's some way you inform him that you have given your number to a group of people and they will gladly use his services it would be great. Mods will have to see how to publish the number here. We don't want him getting haggled with marketing calls.
I told him about TBHP and the support he could expect. Waiting on a mod to clarify. Agree that I don't want this exposure to become a nuisance for him.
I want to help him, that's all.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 21:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am eager to see some one now starts narrating ,"How my truck or sleeper was towed by a call center cabbie in dead middle of night " , lol and later truckwallas .

True ppl like this exits , 1/1000 th of them . But no marks to you , for not planning you ride back after the IM show . You dont know how close you were to getting ...well anything could have happened .

Last edited by black12rr : 17th February 2009 at 21:37.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 21:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
But no marks to you , for not planning you ride back after the IM show . You dont know how close you were to getting ...well anything could have happened .
I was with friends who went into Pebbles for further partying. As if the 50 rupee cocktails at the concert weren't enough. I just got tired of waiting for them to finish up. My friend, who was supposed to be my ride back home, just read this post and said that he was sorry for making me wait but also felt that maybe I was better off with Babu than him!
Old 17th February 2009, 22:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A little bit of dedictaion of this guy in me would seriously make me alot better. Hats off to people like him. God bless
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 22:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Very rarely do we come across such people. Gems, if you will. I hope things work out fine in the end,for him & his family. Its the dedication that matters, and not what kind of job you do.

God bless him!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 23:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
He is OK with me sharing the number with you guys.....
If that is the case then you are welcome to mention his contact details in this thread.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:10   #24
F50
Senior - BHPian

Very difficult to find such people.

2 years back I took a taxi from Fort to Nariman Point. The driver asked me "Where exactly at Nariman Point?" I was surprised to hear clean English from a taxi driver. I asked him "Where did you learn English?" He replied that he was from some science background. So the next obvious question "Why taxi?" His children disowned him and took everything away, all his life long earnings, property etc. He had no choice but to drive taxi.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Great video showing a day in the life of a cab driver. I really enjoyed this one :

EDIT : oh yeah, and heres another one i just remembered :

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th February 2009 at 00:36.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:23   #26
BHPian

A true Heart Touching Story, Not all Auto Guys are rude
Please share his Phone Number.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:39   #27
BHPian

Bluu, touching story indeed. Now as you got the go ahead from Mods, share the number.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:56   #28
BHPian

I could learn a thing or two about perseverance and hard work from this guy. Really felt humbled by his sense of responsibility. If I worked even half as hard as him I'd be a lot better off. Thanks for sharing this lovely experience bluu.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 08:33   #29
BHPian

Here you go!

Full name: Jaychandar Babu
Ph: 9980690021
Old 18th February 2009, 09:01   #30
BHPian

it is indeed a touching story! i'll surely use his service when i'm around that area!
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote