Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th July 2009, 12:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey, just yesterday I saw an ANHC with a missing mirror and I thought the driver had crashed to lose it. Heck now I get it, it must be stolen. Beware Bangy guys. They are out here too.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Beware Bangy guys.
Location if you can provide the same
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Location if you can provide the same
Jayanagar! Black/dark grey ANHC. From the ORVM it looked cool. Then at the 4th block signal, I saw the ripped mirror.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:12   #19
BHPian

Default Anti theft System for ANHC

Can anyone suggest a comprehensive anti theft system for ANHC which will not affect the warranty of the car when installed? Same for fog lights as well. Please specify the brand and the price.

Secondly is it necessary that the same should be purchased and installed by a Honda dealer or can I do so outside.
sandeep.mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 19:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thieves have been know to steal whatever they can.I have learn't this years back when my maruti's plastic covers on the roof top were stolen.I always kep't wondering what use they could be of to someone and decided never to get the stolen covers replaced.

I am not saying the victim should never get the mirrors fixed but he should first take some precautions before going in for new ones again.Maybe a vibration sensing alarm system and a full car body cover with a lock in place might help.The thief would have first have to get through the cover to reach the mirrors ,not much of a deterrent but will probably make him target something easier.

I remember our old Fiat (PP) used to have a cover which was made of thick fabric , khaki in color, as body cover.Haven't seen such covers for a long time though.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th December 2009 at 19:53.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Angry

An update to this thread that, I am sure, would leave you totally open-mouthed. It surprised me, and auto-related matters surprise me very rarely!

My friend decided, over the last year and more, to forego replacing the ORVMs on his ANHC at such high cost from the dealership, especially since at metronomic intervals other cars in his locality lost their ORVMs too. I've tried hard enough to procure original mirrors from the market, but failed - they're just not available anywhere except at the service centres, for a price (including fixing, painting and taxes) of over Rs.8500 per pair (no, they themselves must paint & fit it, and won't sell you the units as such).

I met up with another auto parts dealer (whom I've known for years, but would not reveal his identity, you'll understand why) a few days ago, and he promised to get me original *preowned* mirrors. Price: 2500 INR for the pair. Fitting: another 200 INR.

The mirrors became available today, and we went to have them fixed. Okay, so they were not the same colour - we'll have them resprayed later on. But what left me utterly was that the base of the mirror was not of plastic as is seen originally, but die cast metal! The mirror with its motors etc. was fixed on to this casting, and the casting was an exact replica of the original plastic base - right down to the Honda badging on the inner surface. Take a look at the pictures, and observe how neatly the bases fit in with the door.

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-0.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-1.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-2.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-3.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-4.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-5.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-6.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-7.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-8.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-9.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-10.jpg

This points to the extent to which the crime of ripping off expensive mirrors from cars is being run in an organized manner. The gang obviously procured a pair of intact mirrors, took out the base and made dies out of it - pour molten metal into it, and voila, there's a perfect new base. The old base gets broken when removed, and thieves on the street are instructed not to damage the main mirror casing or the mirror inserts.

Refurbish and sell the mirrors for less than a third of the cost of new mirrors, make a cool 1000% profit (assuming the thief is paid Rs.100 per mirror, and the base is worth Rs.25 including casting, finishing and refitting to the casing), and here's another type of organized crime that I suppose cops have no clue about (or they probably do, but prefer a share in the profits).

Remarks: Now don't get all righteous about the sins of buying stolen goods. I know the crime exists because there's a market for it. If I did not do this, I (and you) would never have known.

And this ought to be a wake-up call to all manufacturers who sell ORVMs at exorbitant prices. If the huge motorized mirror of a Scorpio can sell for less than Rs.1500 each including taxes at dealerships, I see no reason why an ANHC's mirror cannot sell at an equal price. IMO, the OEMs are promoting such criminal activities by trying to maximize their own profits.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th September 2010 at 19:05.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

SS-Traveller thats some well organised and executed crime. Hope this does not becomes common in many cities. BTW those mirrors came in plastic packing?? If so then it reminds me of a song kabhi naye packet main beche tumko cheez purani phir bhi dil hai HINDUSTANI.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:31   #23
BHPian

>>>

At one level, a straight forward criminal activity worthy of condemnation and censure, if our law enforcement machinery has the wherewithal (logistics, organisation, processes and so on) to minimise it.

At another, an instance of innovative reverse engineering and an innovative revenue stream for hundreds of our countrymen who have to live by their wits in order to survive, as the state is unable to take care of all of us : well worth a socio-economic study and analysis.

I am sure the victims won't like it at all - neither would I, if I were in that unhappy position- but there it is.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well, at least now with the metal base, wouldn't this do away with the possibility of it being flicked again? Since, if the base is strong enough, trying to rip it out means the frame will now give way.

Maybe the 'criminals' have enough 'ethics' not to rip from their customer!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 20:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Doc, I do not doubt any of your experience, but I've few questions on my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
and he promised to get me original *preowned* mirrors. Price: 2500 INR for the pair. Fitting: another 200 INR.
Yes, the guy promised, but did he keep up is my first question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But what left me utterly...are instructed not to damage the main mirror casing or the mirror inserts.
If I understood this entire scam, are you saying that the base in original mirrors are made out of plastics, while the juggad ones have metal base?

Why would the gang make a replica of the base using metal piece & why not using plastic that might work out even cheaper? Reason? The plastic should be more expensive or in other words, making a metal base using a mould should be easier & cost effective.

If this is the case, obviously Honda should be charging more (but should never be exorbitant) for the same reason which is justifiable.

But on a second thought, why couldn't Honda's first gen cars came with metal base & subsequent models had a metal base? Just trying to think in this possibility that I've experienced with Maruti.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 11:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Well, at least now with the metal base, wouldn't this do away with the possibility of it being flicked again?
OTOH it might be easier to remove the casing now, with the three screws holding the casing to the base from below. Ethics? LOL...
ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-anhc-mirror-8.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, the guy promised, but did he keep up is my first question.

If I understood this entire scam, are you saying that the base in original mirrors are made out of plastics, while the juggad ones have metal base?

Why would the gang make a replica of the base using metal piece & why not using plastic that might work out even cheaper? Reason? The plastic should be more expensive or in other words, making a metal base using a mould should be easier & cost effective.

But on a second thought, why couldn't Honda's first gen cars came with metal base & subsequent models had a metal base?
The guy did deliver...

High quality break-resistant plastic is more expensive to manufacture on a small scale. The crooks therefore preferred a metal casting IMO.

Did any original Honda mirror come with a metal base at all? IIRC they're all plastic.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 11:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "small scale industry"

OT: Doc, do ask him if he can source a heated right ORVM for the Safari
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 17:57   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "small scale industry"
LOL, suman. How resourceful can one be in this country? I just spoke to (and terrified) someone who's bought an ANHC 2 months ago, and lives in West Delhi (where this kind of theft is rampant) - hope you and others will forward this thread to ANHC owners and alert them of this racket.

And if anyone knows any senior personnel in Honda, I hope this induces them to bring down their unjustifiably high ORVM costs!
Old 10th September 2010, 19:02   #29
BHPian

Oh! The ORVMs on my silver Corolla got stolen in the dead of a cold winter night in South Delhi. This was about 2 years back. The car was not parked on the road per se, but inside a gated area. The watchmen were all too busy keeping themselves warm around the fire at the other gate.

Anyway, Toyota dealership quoted 7k per mirror, plus taxes, paint and labour. I went to a spare parts shop in Lajpat Nagar (a pretty well-known one, regulars there would be able to guess), and he too promised to get me silver "pre-owned" Corolla mirrors, at about 1500 a piece or so. He said he sources these mirrors from Kashmere Gate. That's the hub of auto spare parts in Delhi.

The mirrors came in the same evening, and had the same metallic base (unbreakable but easily unscrewable!!). What's more, the mirrors I got had the electronic retract function as well, but that switch was not available in my car! At least I knew I'm not buying back my own mirrors!

The only downside is that these screws get loose with time, and every couple of months or so, you need to get them tightened, else the mirror vibrates like anything!

It's not easy knowing that you've indirectly supported the very people who stole from you (and any car owner knows that rotten feeling of waking up in the morning and finding your car damaged or parts stolen from it). I would rather give them a swift kick up the backside if I were to catch them. But just think about it: 15k vs 3k. The numbers are just too much in the favour of these thieves!
vineetmanghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 19:30   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
The mirrors... had the same metallic base (unbreakable but easily unscrewable!!). What's more, the mirrors I got had the electronic retract function as well, but that switch was not available in my car!

...just think about it: 15k vs 3k. The numbers are just too much in the favour of these thieves!
Now it's a Corolla! There's obviously a thriving market in breaking off and stealing expensive ORVMs, replacing the base with a cast metal replica, and re-selling them to the victims at a third (or less) of the OEM prices.

The only way this can be stopped is if OE mirrors are priced cheaper by the manufacturers. The law enforcement agencies must be aware of this at the ground level, but obviously do nothing, and allow the racket to thrive. At 1000+% profits, why not?