Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2009, 19:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

well cars with airbags are more expensive and if the car has airbags definitely it will have abs(atleast in todays market).. as i think its a cheaper technology/option to put in.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:17   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Angry Its over in 24 hours!

With a heavy heart i want to inform you guys that within 24 hours this case is closed.

Here's what happened:

I go to the police station at 5pm today thinking that i will demand a copy of the FIR and make a written statement.
As soon as i reach, i see that the cedia (which was immediately towed there yesterday) was missing!

I enter the chamber of the duty officer (same guy) and ask him where is car? He said, its gone to repairs. I'm like, should his happen after the court case and have you taken photos? did you check the kid's cell phone records to see if a phone call was on during the time of the accident?
The cop said that all this could have been done only if an FIR was lodged by the taxi driver. The taxi driver and the "party" have settled "outside the police station" thus we cannot do anything. He said he has a copy of the entry that has been made in their diary and not to worry, the cops have charged him with rash driving. The kid appeared before a magistrate this morning and was let off with a fine of 1000bucks. No witnesses were mentioned in the police report!
I have taken down this diary entry number just in case.

Then i told him, fine i want to file an FIR myself. So he said doctor saab why are you bothered so much? No one lost their life or got handicapped. Then he took me outside and slyly told me that the cabbie demanded 27000 and it was paid in cash so now since my initial demand was that the cabbie is compensated then now why am i getting upset?

i thought to myself the cabbie is a fool! And then suddenly i got a email on my phone about a PM notification from a member & a mod (thanks, you know who) who advised me that either i immediately file an FIR to make my position safe or else there have been cases where the cops and accused have gotten together and framed the witness saying he was driving bad and caused the accident.

Unfortunately i could not meet my known DCP today and just meet a local senior inspector, thus, i didn't want to take anymore steps. So till i don't meet this DCP, i have no option but to sit on it.

Very upset about this thing and now am thinking is it worth running after his bull and catching it by its horns?!

EDIT: there are few things that the cop told me but i can't mention in the open. this is to protect me and the cop. i have a couple of trump cards too but you never know who reads this forum.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th February 2009 at 20:21. Reason: Typos.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:25   #108
BHPian

Hey buddy,I feel for you but everything here turns out this way.There will be a lot of headaches for you should you choose to continue this.Of course,in the end its your prerogative if you want to follow this through all the way.But unfortunately this is the way things happen in India.And having had some brushes with Mumbai cops,from personal experience I'd say they are the most stupid,lazy,corrupt morons you can find anywhere.Hate to be a cynic especially when you have shown so much determination but nothing can change this country or its people.
My two cents is,proceed only if you know someone in the force who will back you.
Whatever be your decision, I salute your persevarance bro.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:54   #109
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tejas

Perhaps it is for the best!

I am quite certain your actions had a big role in ensuring the cabbie got as much as he did. Cheer up!

It'd have been interesting if you had showed a few of those snaps to the cop as you were leaving ... verrrry interesting
Old 24th February 2009, 21:04   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
It'd have been interesting if you had showed a few of those snaps to the cop as you were leaving ... verrrry interesting
That would have resulted only in the cop getting a larger "chai pani"

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th February 2009 at 21:05. Reason: Grammar
Old 24th February 2009, 21:23   #111
BHPian

Tejas, Reality has slapped our faces.
Bribe, Corruption, is very deep rooted in our country.

I would have been surprised if the boy was punished.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:40   #112
Senior - BHPian

so the story is getting wiped off from everywhere else except team bhp, is it? Man, beyond a certain point, you pursuing this looks more and more dangerous for you than anyone else.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:43   #113
BHPian

Tejas, you did your best. Don't be disappointed. Its indeed frustrating when stuff like this happens, but it does.

You tried to walk on the right path. That's what matters.

We are proud of you.

cheer up !
Old 24th February 2009, 21:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

@Tejas- Somehow i feel this is good for you. Money and power are biggest influences in our society we accept or not. Accident scenario- Cops want money they get them, Person who is hit wants money he gets it, People who have hit are willing to give money so can settle out of court and go free. Our system works like this we like it or hate it. It saved your precious time and headaches to chase it cos end result would have been the boy getting free. No surprises for me in the end result.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:59   #115
Senior - BHPian

The rash driving charge is nothing. It's handed out freely to anyone who even does some wheelspin in front of a cop.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:31   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
That is one bashed up fiat. Looking at the rear seat I shudder to think of what would've happened if it had passengers. .
precisely why they need to be taken off the roads and replaced with more modern vehicles.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:37   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
That would have resulted only in the cop getting a larger "chai pani"

Yeah.. but not without a niggle - knowing you have what it takes to 'finger' him - present continuous tense.

Always give them something to think about doc... keeps them civil!
Old 24th February 2009, 22:44   #118
BHPian

You did well - unfortunately we've become a nation where the culprits always seem to escape in road traffic accidents. There are very few instances mentioned here in TBHP where justice has prevailed - and scores of cases where the cops and authorities are just plain corrupt.
My first experience in a police station was frustrating - 8 hours at the station and we kept getting blamed, refusing FIR, few threats, almost getting forced to pay compensation, etc etc... 8 hours for rash, blind driving by a cyclist.
Not our fault at all - My dad knew it, I knew it, my wife knew it, my mom knew it, the cops knew it, the cyclist knew it, the cyclist relatives knew it and still we could not even get a whiff of justice those 8 hours!

My heart goes out to the cabbie who was probably sweet-talked or threatened into the deal.
I can imagine the situation in the culprits house today justifying the youngsters action:
Dad: "What a waste of a day - so much money lost and the car damaged. Anyway - thankfully everyone is safe and we were not hassled that much. I gotta get back to work"
Son: "Shucks.. man. These cops are so difficult to satisfy. They could have surely settled the matter faster. And the bloody cabbie - demanding money from my dad. And now i have no car to drive."
Mom: "My little boy. Are you hurt. Any bleeding? Do you need any medicines. Should we go to the doctor. Take some rest. Its been a terrible day for you. Thank God you're safe - it must be the good deeds done by your forefathers that protected you today"

And life goes on in their home.
And those of us with consciences say a quiet prayer for protection to all who traverse the roads of this corrupt nation.
And those of us with consciences salute people like you Tejas who are willing to go that extra distance to get justice for somebody else!

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 24th February 2009 at 22:46.
Old 24th February 2009, 23:02   #119
Senior - BHPian

Wow !! What a real life story !! Read this entire thread in the last half an hour.

Lucky - No one got injured.

Tejas - What a guy you are !! Cheers Mate !!

Now for my outlook on the conclusion - If you go ahead and keep fighting for this , it will get you in trouble. There is a silver lining here - at least the poor cabbie guy got compensated.

My suggestion would be leave this for now and let it serve as an experience to evryone involved. We all can learn from this.

As far as the incident goes - All I can say is thankfully no one got hurt !! I just hope the father of the young guy teaches him a lesson and does not let him out on speedy machines very soon.
Old 24th February 2009, 23:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, just hoping that I don't encounter this ******* while driving. There's a tiny chance that he might change his driving style, but going by the attitude of his parents, it doesn't seem like it. Prayers go out to his future victims.
Closed Thread