Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2009, 23:06   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
You should have immediately asked him to register it as an FIR - he would have been more than happy to give you a statement copy!

The best way to give statements is to write one yourself .. in triplicate... and give two copies to the cops asking them to acknowledge the third along with the name,signature and seal of the Duty officer/SHO - with the date AND TIME mentioned!

Tell them if they don't give you an acknowledgement a friend of yours is already on the way to his SP with a copy of the same letter - with a addition that this duty officer refused to take/acknowledge the complaint. Tell him that letter is in Six copies - including one copy to the Commissioner, One copy to the Chief Justice of the Maharashtra High Court and one copy to the media as well! (the HC can consider the letter as a complaint, and amongst other things ask the cops to file an FIR based on that!)

Then sit back and watch them do their job!

EDIT: If its an IAS/IPS or equivalent ranked guy who is harassing or not cooperating , please write to the President Of India's grievance cell. These are all Presidential appointments . The best part - regardless of the outcome of the subsequent investigation, the entry is permanent in that persons personal record! That apparently is very very bad news - and something they will do their utmost to avoid! However not many people are aware this avenue exists.
Thanks mate!!! have been in similar situations quite a few times and this knowledge will definitely come handy in the future. Thank you.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:48   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
precisely why they need to be taken off the roads and replaced with more modern vehicles.
But i shuddder to think if it was a santro cab with the cng cylinder in the boot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My heart goes out to the cabbie who was probably sweet-talked or threatened into the deal.
I can imagine the situation in the culprits house today justifying the youngsters action:
Dad: "What a waste of a day - so much money lost and the car damaged. Anyway - thankfully everyone is safe and we were not hassled that much. I gotta get back to work"
Son: "Shucks.. man. These cops are so difficult to satisfy. They could have surely settled the matter faster. And the bloody cabbie - demanding money from my dad. And now i have no car to drive."
Mom: "My little boy. Are you hurt. Any bleeding? Do you need any medicines. Should we go to the doctor. Take some rest. Its been a terrible day for you. Thank God you're safe - it must be the good deeds done by your forefathers that protected you today"
Actually something like this happened. One of the kid's uncle was on the phone to someone else and was talking about it in gujju. This is my translation of that onesided conversation i heard:

"...our beta banged into a taxi... ya ya he's ok... but our car is in a very bad shape... now cops harassing us... don't worry, i'm there na... see you."

no mention about the cabbie's condition...

And yes i know, things can get really ugly for me if i pursue it. i am still thinking about it.

Also guys, anything mentioned in the papers in bombay? didn't get a chance to read any today. keep your eyes open for it.
Old 25th February 2009, 09:54   #123
Team-BHP Support

May God put people at the mercy of people like themselves.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:06   #124
BHPian

Hey Tejas maybe you can try sending in the photos and your account of the accident as well as your experience with the cops on the timesnow.com and ibnlive.com websites under the citizen journalist section.Maybe that would give it some good coverage if they are willing to make a story out of it.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:50   #125
Senior - BHPian

Since most news channels are starved of news worthy material and are projecting themselves as "saviour of human rights" may be we should pass on the link to this thread to them.
I can actually foresee the headline "Another Spoilt Rich Kid responsible for destroying a poor man's livelihood".

Last edited by MileCruncher : 25th February 2009 at 10:50. Reason: Better Tag Line
Old 25th February 2009, 10:53   #126
evo
BHPian

Tejas, hats off to you. The fact that you went through so much trouble to see to it that that fool got punished is brilliant! Eventhough I feel that the kid should have got punished, I dont know if I would have gone to the PS etc just because I`d think it to be a waste of time/harrasment. Kudos to you for doing it. I hope that I`ll be able to take inspiration from you and actually do something incase something happens that I`m witness to (Hoping it never happens though).
Old 25th February 2009, 10:56   #127
BHPian

As predicted, the rich guy got hold of the cabbie and did a settlement!

Even though you pursue this case, the cabbie who feels he is well compensated might go against you and you will land up in trouble!

Did you got a chance to speak to the cabbie or meet him?

However do not give up your hope. Whatever you done till now is a learning experience for everyone who is reading this thread. I can imagine your level of patience!

Btw...I didn't find anythin related to this accident in todays DNA paper.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
However do not give up your hope. Whatever you done till now is a learning experience for everyone who is reading this thread.
Definitely that's going to be a learning experience with a lesson not to get involved with stuffs related to cops unless and otherwise you cannot avoid it.

I have couple of bad incidents interacting with cops. They give less importance to punctuality thereby you waste your time waiting for them to take up your case. And you also should be prepared to visit next day if that particular officer cannot make it on that day.

Also those officers could do less about it as they have to obey the orders of senior officers or attend to any emergency calls thereby skipping less important activities (where many of these cases fall under)

If you land up in the same police station in a shorter span of time again, irrespective of whose fault, you will be greeted like a offender
Old 25th February 2009, 11:53   #129
BHPian

I am a relatively new member to this forum and from my personal experiance of Law I would say that it is a good thing that the matter got solved without any entries being made in the law books. Please dont get me wrong but law hassles are quite harrowing.
Its good that that the entire episode got sorted and dont get depressed that its unjust an all. Atleast that fellow did not murder anyone. The cabbie got due compensated for the damages what else is required, also I dont think the boys father will let the boy forget this episode anytime soon. Because even they know what will happen the next time.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:58   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Hey Tejas maybe you can try sending in the photos and your account of the accident as well as your experience with the cops on the timesnow.com and ibnlive.com websites under the citizen journalist section.Maybe that would give it some good coverage if they are willing to make a story out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Since most news channels are starved of news worthy material and are projecting themselves as "saviour of human rights" may be we should pass on the link to this thread to them.
I can actually foresee the headline "Another Spoilt Rich Kid responsible for destroying a poor man's livelihood".
It's not worth it. The news guys will just want to spin the situation in their favor for more TRPs. They will not do it for justice and i will land up being hounded by the press. I treat a few editor-in-chiefs of leading mumbai dailies, i could have told anyone of them but frankly, it's not worth it. Guys, please don't send anything to them.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:02   #131
Senior - BHPian

I went to through the entire thread.
Tejas, you are one very responsible citizen. Proud of you and nice to know that you are here on TBHP.

Regarding the case, as far as I know, you can obtain a copy of your statement. You have a right to stop giving statement if the officer is not taking down the points.
I am sure the cab driver was forced to take the amount what the family of bad kid/kid adult were ready to give him. He lost entire car and his life was risked. A criminal case was to be filed against the kid for attempted manslaughter. I am surprised that you did not beat the kid. Had I been at that spot, I would have beaten the kid. And when their parents were asking you not to do this, that, I would have taken hold of them and beaten them to hell. Sorry for being offensive, but this is what I am feeling.

Very sad ending to this story. The real culprits are parents of that kid. Cedia is not a joke of a machine. The crash shows its well over 110kmph atleast. Permier Padmini is based on quite stiff chassis and is not designed to absord imapct through crumple zones. Still it look horrible after the crash. Parents support their kids for whatever they do in India. That lead sme to the damaged " core " of Indian people. I am not proud to be an Indian.

Tejas you are sure the " Sava Sher ". But before playing the trump cards you have, consider your family's safety first. These " not required on earth " people care for nothing and can go to any extent. The good people just cannot fall to their low level. I seriously wish that this guy rear ends a truck at 150 kmph and reaslized what he did to others.

Again, one personal appreciation to Tejas for doing good job as a citizen.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:06   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeet View Post
I am a relatively new member to this forum and from my personal experiance of Law I would say that it is a good thing that the matter got solved without any entries being made in the law books. Please dont get me wrong but law hassles are quite harrowing.
Its good that that the entire episode got sorted and dont get depressed that its unjust an all. Atleast that fellow did not murder anyone. The cabbie got due compensated for the damages what else is required, also I dont think the boys father will let the boy forget this episode anytime soon. Because even they know what will happen the next time.
I respectfully disagree Runeet.Yes that "kid" didn't murder anyone.But he very well could have.As for the boy's father,I believe he would be even more irresponsible than his son for letting his 18 year old drive a powerful car without knowing how good his skills actually are.And from the thread its evident that his only objective was to protect his son and not punish him.Since he got away in just 24 hours without any jail time,the kid will continue to think he can get away with anything as long as he has money.
Then again,maybe he can.
You're right that legal hassles would be harrowing for the person who is doing the right thing like Tejas.The law in India is a joke and so are its "upholders".
OT-Wish we had transparent lawsuits here like in the US.The monetary pain of getting sued out of their houses and losing their shirts would cause everyone to toe the line of the law for sure.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 25th February 2009 at 12:09.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:10   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Tejas you are sure the " Sava Sher ". But before playing the trump cards you have, consider your family's safety first. These " not required on earth " people care for nothing and can go to any extent. The good people just cannot fall to their low level. I seriously wish that this guy rear ends a truck at 150 kmph and reaslized what he did to others.

Again, one personal appreciation to Tejas for doing good job as a citizen.
The trump card is not to be played. It's only there for my protection that's all.

As you say rear-ending a truck, for all you know, they will have the truck driver arrested!!!

Anyways, thank you and all others for supporting me and showing your appreciation, makes me feel much better. I think it's time i closed this chapter in my life.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, you did a great job, very rare someone will do what you have done, that too for ensuring justice for a poor cabbie!
Kudos to you!

Did you contact that cabbie to confirm if he really got the compensation (27K) from the kid's family?
Ask him if he is happy with that amount & if he can repair his car with that money.

If not, maybe you can contact the DCP and take this case further.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:26   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Did you contact that cabbie to confirm if he really got the compensation (27K) from the kid's family?
Ask him if he is happy with that amount & if he can repair his car with that money.

If not, maybe you can contact the DCP and take this case further.
I have no idea about the cabbie's status. I asked for the cabbie's phone number from the cops and they said they didn't have one and just have a care-of address. And the cop told me about the compensation. Could not verify it.
I know the cop was lying about the tel number, but what to do?
Closed Thread