Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th May 2005, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cool Opel Astra Club Petrol vs Honda Accord 2.4 ........ No compitition

This happened few months back on Mumbai Pune expressway as I was coming from Mumbai after picking up my father & his colleague in Accord 2.4 manual

At ghat section at night times (around 3am) there was traffic as usual because of truck wallas occupying all lanes

I was keeping a distance of atleast two car lengths as most of the times these trucks are highly overloaded & sometimes start to come towards you.
At this time there was a Opel Astra Club behind me who was continiously honking horns & giving light signal I had no way to move as I was in third lane & there was another trailor right beside me. After getting a chance I moved to left to let that guy go. While overtaking he gave me dirty look also mumbled something. He was also with full load & it was a Petrol version
This got into my head, still I stayed cool till finishing Ghat section, almost 15 min had passed now I had a completely empty piece of road & a very powerful car with me. So what I did? STEPPED ON GAS
Before I could knew I was passed 160kmph so I decided to stay at the same speed. After only 5 min I cought up with the same Astra guy, he was going from middle lane (could have been easily so I did not even honked nor blew my headlights just as I was about to pass him I honked my horn. & While passing him I just looked at him & laughed.

Hope he will never honk horn behind any Accord from now on.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 13:28   #2
BHPian

i really appriciate the fact that you kept your cool.......... and then after you caught upto him you did whatever you did.... was fine even if you wouldnt have done it he would have realised it any wayz
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 20:16   #3
BHPian

As responsible drivers & tbhpians, I feel we should avoid getting into competitive situations with strangers on the road.. the guy might just be crazy (edited by Moderator) or he might have had a genuine reason to be in a hurry, maybe catching a flight or attending to an emergency.. my point is, let us be cool and enjoy our drive.. let the idiots on the road go meet their doom fast.. our roads are seriously not worth going beyond 120kmph

Adya, no offence meant.. I myself have trouble exercising restraint when I encounter such drivers.. the tempation to show them their place / teach them a lesson is just too much, but we need to try :-)..

Moderator Note : Abusive words even with the alphabets replaced by "*. %, $. #" are not permitted here. Please refrain from posting abusive languages in full or even in short.

Last edited by v12 : 5th May 2005 at 18:26.
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 20:28   #4
BANNED

Wel adya nice write up. Its better to keep cool but then if your cars capable and safe at the speed you were then its perfectly fine.

Quote:
he might have had a genuine reason to be in a hurry, maybe catching a flight or attending to an emergency
But does he need to glare and mutter bad words??
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 20:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTOYA
But does he need to glare and mutter bad words??
Of course not.. he might have been in a hurry . Anyway, given the levels of road rage in our country glaring must be the default reaction.

Moderator Note : Abusive words even with the alphabets replaced by "*. %, $. #" are not permitted here. Please refrain from posting abusive languages in full or even in short.

Last edited by v12 : 5th May 2005 at 18:27.
Old 4th May 2005, 21:03   #6
BANNED

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Of course not.. he might have been an a****le in a hurry . Anyway, given the levels of road rage in our country glaring must be the default reaction.
not only glaring but also abusing. Its common atleast in Mumbai when you overtake an Auto in a hurry he utters MC, BC et all.. but there are some mature drivers as well who just move out of the way and if in hurry juss blink lights and dont honk so much.. and they have the sense that its not a place to overtake so they dont even try to whereas Astra knew that itsnot possible for Adya to move over still he continued to honk sad but true..
Old 4th May 2005, 23:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As responsible drivers & tbhpians, I feel we should avoid getting into competitive situations with strangers on the road.. the guy might just be an a****le or he might have had a genuine reason to be in a hurry, maybe catching a flight or attending to an emergency.. my point is, let us be cool and enjoy our drive.. let the idiots on the road go meet their doom fast.. our roads are seriously not worth going beyond 120kmph

Adya, no offence meant.. I myself have trouble exercising restraint when I encounter such drivers.. the tempation to show them their place / teach them a lesson is just too much, but we need to try :-)..
well I don't block people under any condition
I understand as someone might have emegency but the thing that got me mad was he also knew that I had no place to go & nobody drives on expressway right lane on 20kmph, he also knew that & still kept honking (ppl starting to honk horn at signal as soon as signal turns green also make me mad)
what I did was just show him he is not king of world. if I wouldn't have honked my horn when overtaking him heck "he wouldn't have seen me coming"
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 12:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
As responsible drivers & tbhpians, I feel we should avoid getting into competitive situations with strangers on the road.. the guy might just be an a****le or he might have had a genuine reason to be in a hurry, maybe catching a flight or attending to an emergency.. my point is, let us be cool and enjoy our drive.. let the idiots on the road go meet their doom fast.. our roads are seriously not worth going beyond 120kmph

lovely spirit here... at long long last, i'm seeing people here on tbhp eschew the senseless and maniacal need for speed. i was kind of disappointed that such a fun forum here should glorify speed to the point of seeming like a club of dopes with more adrenaline than cerebrum in their heads. maybe i'm one of this brand someties, but i sure appreciate it when people are saner and more responsible - for others on the road, and for themselves.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 19:04   #9
BHPian

[quote=adya33] the thing that got me mad was he also knew that I had no place to go & nobody drives on expressway right lane on 20kmph, he also knew that & still kept honking (ppl starting to honk horn at signal as soon as signal turns green also make me mad)
QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. Thats what I meant when I used the *** word for him.. These chaps irritate me no end on the road but I try to assume a 'nadaan hai, maaf kar diya jaaye" attitude..

Mods, got the point on *** words, will refrain from using them. But you would also agree, it is tough to describe these drivers using normal language ;-).
Old 6th May 2005, 13:03   #10
BANNED

Arrow

Quote:
Mods, got the point on *** words, will refrain from using them. But you would also agree, it is tough to describe these drivers using normal language
But dude you should keep your cool always let them do what they like as long as they arenot off roading you. Just move out of their ways when possible. Who knows they can be some underworld gangsteers.

Drive Safe please
Old 8th May 2005, 01:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug... "

Hahaha...made my day! Nice one...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote