Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th March 2009, 17:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Don't know who is at fault or who is not. But the crux of the matter is that one's safety is one's own responsibility. Few seconds gained by rashly overtaking/driving may result in losing or seriously impairing your and other's life. I say drive fast if you want but not rash.

Anyways, may the souls RIP.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 5th March 2009 at 17:06.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
A friend who witnessed this accident says that the Accent was at fault as he was already driving very rashly and tried a very rash overtaking move that resulted in this accident. The car was indeed pushed back due to the momentum of the truck but it was not 30 - 40 feet like reported by TOI. It was only about 10 - 12 feet.

OT: TOI reports these days seem to be too masala filled for my liking. Anyone else feel the same?
TOI is the WORST excuse for a news paper that we have in the country today. They are ethically bankrupt - you can get them to write anything you want! That however is the topic for another thread!

Very very sad accident.May God be with their families!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
A friend who witnessed this accident says that the Accent was at fault as he was already driving very rashly and tried a very rash overtaking move that resulted in this accident. The car was indeed pushed back due to the momentum of the truck but it was not 30 - 40 feet like reported by TOI. It was only about 10 - 12 feet.

OT: TOI reports these days seem to be too masala filled for my liking. Anyone else feel the same?
Off late I too have had that feeling. TOI is just spicing things up to appeal to the mass or in most cases the victims.

This is how DNA reported the same incident.

These days, every single paper has their own angle of looking at an issue. So, I guess, today TOI, tomorrow somebody else. The more paper you read, the more muddled up you get.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:20   #34
BHPian

Horrible accident indeed.May the deceased souls RIP.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:22   #35
BHPian

I have used this road many times, it is a very busy road with a lot of lorry traffic but it is still quite wide enough to pass oncoming traffic comfortably. Bad accident, may their souls rest in peace !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 20:11   #36
BHPian

Really shocking.Seeing the condition of the wreck,I think even if the car was equipped with airbags,it wouldn't have saved them. May their souls R.I.P
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 20:35   #37
BANNED

At the speed of this kind of impact nothing would have saved their lives. The internal organs would get crushed without much externally visible injury.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 10:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

RIP. A very horrible way to go.

But i guess these are the same folks who in the city drive as they please and tried the same on the highway, knowing very well they can get away even if they harmed someone else.

I think its karma.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

That's a horrible crash. May their souls RIP. One mistake is all it takes on the road!
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
RIP. A very horrible way to go.

But i guess these are the same folks who in the city drive as they please and tried the same on the highway, knowing very well they can get away even if they harmed someone else.

I think its karma.
I kind off agree to it. But still a very bad way to go.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I kind off agree to it. But still a very bad way to go.
I see such people everyday, crossing lanes as they please, getting into the opposite lane without any respect for right of way, jumping signals.

The thought that comes to my mind when these guys come down the opposite side in a two lane is "heaven forbid they try this on the highways with no median", and no i am not thinking about them i am thinking of their victims.

Probably for no error of his the truck driver has turned into a fugitive.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see such people everyday, crossing lanes as they please, getting into the opposite lane without any respect for right of way, jumping signals.
Come on Spitfire we cannot just blame the driver to do these kind of things on a daily basis without knowing the background of the driver.

Could be he was a good driver and this was an unfortunate day for him and the other passengers in the vehicle.

Haven't we heard about many safe drivers accident on the same forum, let the soul R.I.P.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:40   #43
BHPian

Looks like the car guys anticipated that he can go on with overtaking but the lorry guy did not react to it positively.

Or the car guy may have been doing a tailgating with another fast moving heavy vehicle, which was hiding his view from opposite side traffic. And then he may have tried to poke it to opposite line to make an attempt to overtake. Both the truck and car may not have got time to react in this case. This happens very often on two line highways.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:48   #44
BANNED

Accent was accelerating to complete the over-taking procedure. I guess on that 2 lane road Accent must have been doing at most 90. Its a very bad & fatal judgment on part of Accent driver. I attribute that to inexperience.

Accent is old design. Probably in a modern design car (even without airbags), at least the rear passengers had a chance of survival.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 16:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Looks like the car guys anticipated that he can go on with overtaking but the lorry guy did not react to it positively.

Or the car guy may have been doing a tailgating with another fast moving heavy vehicle, which was hiding his view from opposite side traffic. And then he may have tried to poke it to opposite line to make an attempt to overtake. Both the truck and car may not have got time to react in this case. This happens very often on two line highways.
Think the other way round. Despite not having a right of way, the Accent driver accelerated/was accelerating expecting that the lorry driver gave off his right to make way for the Accent. Or the Accent driver did not react properly to the presence of lorry.

In any case, the car driver is to be blamed for whatever has happened. The truck driver is not at fault. Even if the truck driver had braked very hard, the fate would have been similar as the car was coming out of a curve ( read blind corner ), moreover it was trying to overtake on the curve. Any car is a dangerous with an inexperienced ( may I add indisciplined ) driver.

The truck driver is innocent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Accent is old design. Probably in a modern design car (even without airbags), at least the rear passengers had a chance of survival.
Look at the pictures I have posted. The crumple zones of Accent are not that much affected. Here in fact the crumple zones did not have a chance to do their duty.
The problem is that the truck's front end is very high. Usually any car specially the low set car's A-pillar starting point is at the level of truck's front end. So in case of a crash, the crumple zones are not brought into play.
Add to that the very rigid chassis of truck that are not designed to absorb any sort of impact energy.

If, lets say that the accident took place with Civic or Accord, there were chances of the Accent's occupants surviving. Both the vehicles involved in the crash would have impact absorbing design and the crumple zones would be there to do their job.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote