Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th March 2009, 13:54   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
and laughing at a policeman!
ROFL.....guess what the fine for that might run into?
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 14:27   #32
BHPian

In 2001 I was travelling between our office in Kormangala to Bommanahalli, at Madiwala Market the cop stopped me for a routine check I had all papers on me except for my license. Luckly I had my wife license she needed some photocopies and had given the same to me, without removing my helmet, I handed over the same to the Cop he crossed the road showed the papers and licence to his superior, came back gave me all the stuff and asked me to carry on.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 14:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened to me while I was in Chennai. I used to work UK Shifts and generally got off work at around midnight or half past midnight.

My office was on harrington road and there is an underpass further down the road which I used to take to reach home.

My esteem has a FFE and was pretty loud and i used to enjoy redlining in the tunnel. The reverberations used to sound awesome and i used to imagine i was driving a sportscar.

One day when I redlined all the way and exited the tunnel, a cop flagged me down. I was like - man, i'm done for. loud exhaust, KA regn., etc.

The cop asked me where I was coming from. Flashed my work ID and said I'm returning from work. He asked if I had been drinking and shoved his head into the car thru the driver side window for obvious reasons.

I was expecting him to go on about the exhaust noise and regn and stuff but instead he said the car sounded like a race car and it was sounding nice in the tunnel. I thanked him and he let me go after he bummed a smoke from me. Rest of the drive back home i was careful not to attract any more cops.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 17:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

About 16 years ago. I was driving from Kolkata to Delhi. 1972 Amby, WB reg. Month of June. Monsoons in Eastern India. The car was caked in mud, subsequently baked hard by the North Indian summer sun, so much so that the white car looked brown. Stopped at the Delhi border by Delhi Police. Checked the insides - 3 people there, my mother and grandmother, and me driving. Boot checked - overflowing with luggage, and shut again with a lot of difficulty. All papers checked. Registration, PUC, insurance... where's the licence? Oops! It's packed with some other documents in a locked suitcase at the bottom of the boot. Retrieving it would have meant a half hour of unpacking and repacking. It's night-time, I'm tired of driving, and in no condition to do that.

Looked at the cop. Pleaded with him - the licence is in the boot. Does he REALLY want me to unpack that lot? Cop looks at me. "You drove all the way from Calcuta to here?" "Yes." "Ok. If you could drive from Calcutta to Delhi, you definitely have a DL." With that he waved me on.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 15:11   #35
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
About 16 years ago. I was driving from Kolkata to Delhi. 1972 Amby, WB reg. ...........

Cop looks at me. "You drove all the way from Calcuta to here?" "Yes." "Ok. If you could drive from Calcutta to Delhi, you definitely have a DL." With that he waved me on.
Elementary, my dear Watson.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 16:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Elementary, my dear Watson.
Yes, actually. But mean-minded cops today may well have asked me to show the DL or else! Not a hilarious experience, this, but certainly left me with a smile on my face till I reached home.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 16:53   #37
Team-BHP Support

Reminds of being stopped by cops at about 2 AM in the morning.
Bunch of us were riding and were at this checkpost.

The cops asked us what the hell were we doing.
We tell them simply having a ride.

The bikes ranged from a 1962 bullet to a 2003 tb.
The Inspector checked all the bikes.
Not as a cop but as someone who likes bikes.
Had a few words of praise for the bikes.
Was a nice feeling, chatting up with him.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 11:28   #38
BHPian

Hello everyone. The various posts read above left me uncontrollable to write my own incidence with a cop. Driving since quite a long time have helped me ways how to beat these cops (with ideas obviously). One day i was on my way for audit with my colleague. Suddenly at a circle one traffice guard stopped me and asked for my DL. As usual i had not carried the original as i use a laminated photocopy of it. So the guard asked "where is your original one ? " If i tell him that its home then he would fine me. So what i did was i replied him that its in the RTO office because i have given car licence test today. So he said ok. Now dont know what struck his mind but to earn that extra money he asked me for the PUC. Now now, here i was worried because i knew that my activa's PUC had expired 6 months back !!! So i confidently opened up the decky and showed him the sticker. That funny guard didnt even bother to check up the date told me to move on. This incident left me laughing whole day. I mean they just dont care to check things properly. Whatever it is, it helped me save my bucks.
David Murx is offline   Reply With Quote