Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th March 2009, 05:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wyanad, Vythiri in North Kerala

Kaziranga, Guwahati and Shillong with may be a trip to Cherapunji. Awesome places to go. Assam will be hot but Cherapunji and Shillong will be cool.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 11:22   #17
BHPian

Source: About Coorg: How to reach, Coorg Climate, Coorg Maps, Coorg Cities...
April and May are normally the warmest months in Coorg, with temperatures of an average 29C

Take it with a pinch of salt. It will be plenty warm during the days. Mornings/ Evenings might be pleasant, I guess.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 12:12   #18
BHPian

While Garhwal is beautiful - its really quite relaxed - not much to do - except have tea on cold foggy mornings, bask in the afternoon sun , read a book..

So depends on the kind of holiday you are looking for. I can recommend a small town called Lansdowne - will be lovely around April with flowers in bloom & shedding leaves (its a strange combination!). There's an entire circuit that can be done on a road trip - including Pauri, Tehri, Gopeshwar, Rudraprayag etc.
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 14:46   #19
BHPian

@Anurag - yes, I do know what to expect when a travel guide says warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
While Garhwal is beautiful - its really quite relaxed - not much to do - except have tea on cold foggy mornings, bask in the afternoon sun , read a book..

So depends on the kind of holiday you are looking for. I can recommend a small town called Lansdowne - will be lovely around April with flowers in bloom & shedding leaves (its a strange combination!). There's an entire circuit that can be done on a road trip - including Pauri, Tehri, Gopeshwar, Rudraprayag etc.
@Amip - sounds interesting. I am usually a lazy tourist who would rather lie down in an arm chair soaking in the beauty of surroundings than criss-cross all over the place with a back pack. So Garhwal may suit me. I will do it next year, I have made up my mind to tour the hill stations in TN this year.
nagvasireddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Yes, Uttarakhand indeed was very beautiful. Been to Jim corbett also, but did not see any tigers

Which places in Garhwal would you recommend?

Yes, I am aware of the exotic locales in North-East and North Bengal - I worked in Durgapur (W.B) for a few years. But considering the logistics and food, I don't think it will be very convinient for a tour with family.

Thanks gajsh. Would weather be a problem in those areas in summer? I was thinking Coorg is a "cool" place to visit in Summer till Anurag suggested otherwise.
Yes yes, it is way too hot in the summer, that is exactly why I suggested you club your coorg visit with the shimoga visit, places in and around shimoga are too good and too cool (dense jungle)
gajsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 12:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of the exotic locales in North-East and North Bengal - I worked in Durgapur (W.B) for a few years. But considering the logistics and food, I don't think it will be very convinient for a tour with family.
Hey, were you working for SAIL? If so, that makes two of us!

I second Ravveendra's suggestion---Manali is the place to go in summer. There is also a flight from Delhi to Bhuntar airport in Kulu that goes via Simla--I travelled in it in 2002. It is an Indian Airlines Dornier plane.

From Kulu, it is around 60 kms to Manali. There are several things to do there, including a trip to Rohtang Pass. The road was closed when I visited in Jan, 2002,so we went to Solan Valley.
You get decent food and accomodation, but the hotel rates will be twice the off-season rates.
Have fun.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
.............I have not visited many hillstations in South (except for Munnar) .............Can you suggest any hills stations in South other than the Nilgiris?
Yercaud, near Salem. While it is in the Nilgiris, it is not usually as crowded as other places in TN like Ooty and Kodaikanal.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 01:12   #23
BHPian

Default Need help with summer holiday ideas. 10-14 day trip, starting from Hyderabad...

Hi All,
I'm planning at least one vacation or two with family(4 adults and two kids, 10 and 7). All of us, kids more so, love road trips. We'd love to drive from HYDERABAD if possible, if not fly to nearest airport and rent a taxi locally based on the advice.
It would be two 7-10 days each or one 10-14 day vacation depending on plans /work(though it is very flexible) at that time.

Can you please advice the places that aren't too crowded, little cooler than HYD and have few things for kids to see or do? I'd love to include coastal Karnataka in one trip but I'm pretty much open to any thing.

Thanks in advance.
live360 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 09:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Need help with summer holiday ideas. 10-14 day trip, starting from Hyderabad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by live360 View Post
It would be two 7-10 days each or one 10-14 day vacation depending on plans /work(though it is very flexible) at that time
I was about to suggest Rajasthan. Then I realized its not for this winter, but for a summer you are looking at. If you have 10-14 days, you can look at Himachal. Fly to Delhi and rent a taxi You can do Manali/Dharamshala/Dalhousie circuit. You can look at Shimla too.

The other circuit is Sikkim. And mother of all circuits : Leh.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 10:07   #25
BHPian

Default re: Need help with summer holiday ideas. 10-14 day trip, starting from Hyderabad...

Quote:
Hi All,
I'm planning at least one vacation or two with family(4 adults and two kids, 10 and 7). All of us, kids more so, love road trips. We'd love to drive from HYDERABAD if possible, if not fly to nearest airport and rent a taxi locally based on the advice.
It would be two 7-10 days each or one 10-14 day vacation depending on plans /work(though it is very flexible) at that time.

Can you please advice the places that aren't too crowded, little cooler than HYD and have few things for kids to see or do? I'd love to include coastal Karnataka in one trip but I'm pretty much open to any thing.

Thanks in advance.
I have lived in HYD and travelled south india quite extensively. You can rule coastal south India due to the heat, except if you are hill station hopping. The heat in coastal areas of TN and Kerala will drain you quicker than the heat in hyd. There is a good circuit in Mysore, Bandipur, Wayanad, Coorg, Coastal Karnataka. The heat will be more manageable than Hyd/coastal TN and coastal Kerala.

And Ampere has given some good suggestions but I would be wary of Rajasthan heat in summer. You are in a great position to hit north east.

Also, please factor in the LS elections (more so if you drive an SUV). I would rule out driving through MP, UP or Bihar during elections. That pretty much restricts you to the south and Maharashtra.

Have fun
ak916 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 12:47   #26
BHPian

In case, you are open to anything in North, Please try and visit Dalhousie in Himachal Pradesh. The place is comparatively less crowded then the other hill stations. It is a wonderful place and I am sure your kids and family is going to love it.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 23:23   #27
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was about to suggest Rajasthan. Then I realized its not for this winter, but for a summer you are looking at. If you have 10-14 days, you can look at Himachal. Fly to Delhi and rent a taxi You can do Manali/Dharamshala/Dalhousie circuit. You can look at Shimla too.

The other circuit is Sikkim. And mother of all circuits : Leh.
ampere,
Thanks for the post. Can you please elaborate 10-14 day plan in Himachal (places to see and stay) as I've never stepped beyond Mumbai.
I'd love to do Leh but is it a good idea to do together with Himachal?
Is it a good idea to do Leh with couple of other spots around Delhi?

Love Sikkim idea too, need to do lot of research about places in an around.
Also, for someone (all in this group) who hasn't been to North, East or west yet, which one of these would be a good start in your opinion?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I have lived in HYD and travelled south india quite extensively. You can rule coastal south India due to the heat, except if you are hill station hopping. .

Also, please factor in the LS elections (more so if you drive an SUV).

Have fun
ak916,
Those are very valid points, heat and elections. They are also the reason for me to get out of where I am for a change as well. Fed up with the local politics.
I'm planing to squeeze one trip well before elections and one latter(being optimistic here
Do you think Coorg, mysore and some places around are manageable when it comes to heat?

Thanks you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
In case, you are open to anything in North, Please try and visit Dalhousie in Himachal Pradesh. The place is comparatively less crowded then the other hill stations. It is a wonderful place and I am sure your kids and family is going to love it.
mints21,
I'm open to anything travel. In fact we are planning to do a trip every other month for next two years.
So Himachal and Dalhouse are not as crowded in summer? Can you give me any ideas to stretch Dalhouse and surroundings to few days?

Thank you.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2013 at 22:49. Reason: Merging back to back posts
live360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 23:34   #28
BHPian

You can start with North. It is fairly straight forward and will make your planning much easier. I am not sure about Leh as I have never been there, but you could plan your trip something like this,

Delhi --> Amritsar --> Dharamshala --> Dalhousie --> Manali --> Shimla (if possible) --> Delhi.

A couple of days stay in each place (sans Amritsar) should constitute a good 10-14 days trip.

You can also spend a day or two around Delhi (Weather will be a spoilsport though) and make a day trip to Agra.

I suggested Amritsar cause of the golden temple and waga border. It's not like you would go once more just to see those two places. But if it doesnt suit your route, you can always ignore it.
satan's_valet is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 23:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
You can start with North. It is fairly straight forward and will make your planning much easier. I am not sure about Leh as I have never been there, but you could plan your trip something like this,

Delhi --> Amritsar --> Dharamshala --> Dalhousie --> Manali --> Shimla (if possible) --> Delhi.

A couple of days stay in each place (sans Amritsar) should constitute a good 10-14 days trip.

You can also spend a day or two around Delhi (Weather will be a spoilsport though) and make a day trip to Agra.

I suggested Amritsar cause of the golden temple and waga border. It's not like you would go once more just to see those two places. But if it doesnt suit your route, you can always ignore it.
Dear live 360
The climate at Agra during those days would not be conducive. I would advise you to stay away from Agra or else visit The Taj early morning or sometimes in the evening. If you have small kids, drop the idea.

From Delhi the best route for Dalhousie is New Delhi--Ambala--Jalandhar--Pathankot--Dalhousie. I normally take this route. I am also constructing a holiday home there for my personal use and I am hopeful it should be over by August next year. Please let me know any other information that you would like to know.

Amritsar and wagah border are again nice places. I would suggest hussainiwala border in Ferozpur in place of wagah. The experience is much better and is less crowded than wagah. Durgiana mandir and jalianwala bagh are other two attractions of Amritsar. You may watch their respective videos on you tube before taking a final call.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 00:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:

ak916,
Those are very valid points, heat and elections. They are also the reason for me to get out of where I am for a change as well. Fed up with the local politics.
I'm planing to squeeze one trip well before elections and one latter(being optimistic here
Do you think Coorg, mysore and some places around are manageable when it comes to heat?

Thanks you.
Yes definitely bearable compared to rest. You can try going into the jungles of bandipur/nagarhole/wayanad. And you can include the heritage/nature belts of udipi, karkala, hassan. Throw in a beach or two and you have a nice holiday. I can put an itinerary if you need help with that.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote