Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 21:08   #586
BHPian
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 142
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Just came back home through our beloved DC Road. That cut out portion was re-dug up and only one narrow half is left for cars to go through. Couldn't avoid two gut wrenching under belly scraps .

Actually I feel deliriously funny at the way this road has been treated over the years. They just won't let it be a proper road ever.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 23:58   #587
Senior - BHPian
 
satish_appasani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Today morning i took DC road from Inorbit to Madhapur to go to Ameerpet at about 7:45 AM. It was all empty. When returning back at around 8:45 it was jam. Most of the guys including me had to turn back and travel via Cyber towers.

I feel lucky moving to Gachibowli. My car hardly warms up by the time i reach my work. But there are few times when it is still a pain. On Monday evening i had to spend 15 - 20 mins to travel 1 KM from Gachibowli - Mindspace road junction to Telecom Institute (NATFM).
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 10:50   #588
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 688
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Venu Sir - After reading in the food thread about your route to Sholay being via Necklace Road a few days back, I got thinking and then I decided and went ahead and used the below route day before yesterday.

The drive was a breeze and jam-free except that I had to twiddle my thumbs for exactly 4 minutes in front of HPS gate before I could turn right onto Mayuri Marg. The time was around 7:45/8:00 pm.

Of course, for you, since you need to anyway go to Necklace Road Railway Station for a U-Turn, your devised route may still make sense for you but for Ani and others coming from Banjara-Hills/Jubilee-Hills side, this may work out.

By the way, I loved the prawns in the platter so ordered a plate full of prawns also. Also loved the buy-2-get-3rd-free offer.

Unknown road to Unknown road - Google Maps
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 11:35   #589
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,727 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Lucky me---i am working from home today. I hate jams, especially when they occur on unexpected roads that are otherwise smooth..
+1. I am WFH today. Would love to know if any of you got caught in a jam today. I can grin sitting in the comfort of my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
One of the reasons why, despite being a Hyderabadi and therefore not having to pay rent if I lived with my parents, I still shifted to a place closer to work is to cut down the commute. Given that I was buying a new car I really wanted to go *further* away from office so I could drive longer , but practicality took over.
Prashant, i too have exactly the same reasons but, only problem is after living in "city" most of my life, i cannot live in places like Hitec City, Gachibowli, KKpally etc.

I prefer the BP increasing drive from Himayathnagar even if its close to 50kms to and fro rather than staying in a place that i cannot relate to
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 13:13   #590
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,256
Thanked: 1,228 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Venu Sir - After reading in the food thread about your route to Sholay being via Necklace Road a few days back, I got thinking and then I decided and went ahead and used the below route day before yesterday.

The drive was a breeze and jam-free except that I had to twiddle my thumbs for exactly 4 minutes in front of HPS gate before I could turn right onto Mayuri Marg. The time was around 7:45/8:00 pm.

Of course, for you, since you need to anyway go to Necklace Road Railway Station for a U-Turn, your devised route may still make sense for you but for Ani and others coming from Banjara-Hills/Jubilee-Hills side, this may work out.

By the way, I loved the prawns in the platter so ordered a plate full of prawns also. Also loved the buy-2-get-3rd-free offer.

Unknown road to Unknown road - Google Maps
I know that road, Bajaj sa'ab-- I used to live in Begumpet earlier. But the right turn to Mayuri Marg is a pain most of the time. But it does make sense for people living near the Somajiguda circle to try that out, as the Necklace Road route would be double the distance.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 20:15   #591
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Prashant, i too have exactly the same reasons but, only problem is after living in "city" most of my life, i cannot live in places like Hitec City, Gachibowli, KKpally etc.

I prefer the BP increasing drive from Himayathnagar even if its close to 50kms to and fro rather than staying in a place that i cannot relate to
I can totally understand. Right now I'm this utopian situation where I can stay pretty much anywhere because wife doesn't work and we have no kids (i.e. no school distance constraints).

Once the situation changes on that front I will have to come back to civilization too. I would dearly love to stay in Tirumalagiri which is where parents have their house (although they too aren't staying there currently) and where I grew up. It's a nice 30 km one-way commute too from there; good usage of a new car.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 22:45   #592
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,256
Thanked: 1,228 Times
Default

I wonder why one side of the road near NIMS was choc-a-bloc with traffic for a good 90 minutes this evening around 7 pm---I am referring to the side from Panjagutta to Khairatabad.

I had got a routine health check up done at Mediova in the morning and had to go there in the evening to collect my reports. Even the General Physician arrived an hout late and said it took him nearly 45 minutes from Panjagutta to commute that 700 metre stretch.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 00:43   #593
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I wonder why one side of the road near NIMS was choc-a-bloc with traffic for a good 90 minutes this evening around 7 pm---I am referring to the side from Panjagutta to Khairatabad.

I had got a routine health check up done at Mediova in the morning and had to go there in the evening to collect my reports. Even the General Physician arrived an hout late and said it took him nearly 45 minutes from Panjagutta to commute that 700 metre stretch.
The roads were a mess this evening. I drove out of my lane around 5.15 to see traffic to Punjagutta stopped over & under the flyover, though headed for Banjara Hills, I turned left and headed towards Rasoolpura and saw that traffic was jammed even beyond Rasoolpura Jn. and thanked my stars for having turned 'the wrong way' and drove to Banjara Hills via Necklace Rd and arrived at Masab tank battling traffic all the way for a good 45 minutes.

Ladies & gentlemen: "This is your tax money at work!".
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 01:04   #594
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,615
Thanked: 6,416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Ladies & gentlemen: "This is your tax money at work!".
Our tax money is resting not working.

The Hyderabad MP has spent exactly 0 from the MPLADS.
Money that should have gone into something has instead been used for nothing.

Lok Sabha MP - Expenditure Statement as on 03/06/2010
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 01:37   #595
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

^^ And to top it all, the DC road has boards which claim "your tax money at work"

If our tax money is at work, filling up the coffers of the babus @ 365 days a year, when do we actually get a road to drive on?
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 06:47   #596
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 688
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Ladies & gentlemen: "This is your tax money at work!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Our tax money is resting not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
^^ And to top it all, the DC road has boards which claim "your tax money at work"

If our tax money is at work, filling up the coffers of the babus @ 365 days a year, when do we actually get a road to drive on?
Your tax money was diverted to make the ORR. Now that the tax money ran short to complete the ORR, you may please get ready to pay tax to use the ORR.

My tax money was used to maintain the road from Secretariat via Raj Bhawan to Dharam Karan Road. Now that this stretch is requiring a fresh round of maintenance, I have paid up the property tax for 2010-2011 in the hope to see the road in my neighbourhood being relaid soon.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 11:47   #597
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Your tax money was diverted to make the ORR. Now that the tax money ran short to complete the ORR, you may please get ready to pay tax to use the ORR.

My tax money was used to maintain the road from Secretariat via Raj Bhawan to Dharam Karan Road. Now that this stretch is requiring a fresh round of maintenance, I have paid up the property tax for 2010-2011 in the hope to see the road in my neighbourhood being relaid soon.
Yesterday night drove on the ORR from Kondapur side to go to Taramati Baradari. The road with all 6 lanes is a total bliss. As a matter of fact the branch off from ORR to Langar House via Taramati Baradari is also complete. The Flyover at Langar House has made the jams a thing of the distant past. So that's where your TAX Rupees ( I don't have the Rupee Symbol Yet).

Give HMDA some credit on spending your tax money on creating good roads at places that they are not required so that they run a longer time.

Mehdipatnam under the PVN Expressway is in a bad state and has potholes that even make the Storm slowdown to 2kmph. Hyderabad has now this privilege outside Ladakh.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 21:12   #598
BHPian
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 142
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I am guessing all the Hyderabad T-BHPians in the Hi-tech city area of the city are either still somewhere in the massive traffic jam today or are too tired as a result of it to post something here.

It took me 1 hour 45 mins to get to my home near Madhapur Petrol Pump from my office (Google) -- a straight ~4 km stretch. This was between 6:30 to 8:30 pm after the heavy rains in the evening. I spent 1 hr 10 mins in between Google and Hitex jn. I was at least comfortably inside my car. Felt so sorry for the helpless 2 wheeler riders getting drenched in the pelting rain as their taxes keep getting washed off year after year. It's such a pathetic state of affairs here.

Still can't understand where exactly the bottleneck was as once the traffic was released, I didn't find any water logging anywhere. I think the roads in Hyd have been in the worst condition this year.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 22:33   #599
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
It took me 1 hour 45 mins to get to my home near Madhapur Petrol Pump from my office (Google) -- a straight ~4 km stretch. This was between 6:30 to 8:30 pm after the heavy rains in the evening. I spent 1 hr 10 mins in between Google and Hitex jn. I was at least comfortably inside my car. Felt so sorry for the helpless 2 wheeler riders getting drenched in the pelting rain as their taxes keep getting washed off year after year. It's such a pathetic state of affairs here.
Boy!

I felt the same thing in the last torrential downpour we had before the one on Sunday (I am referring to the one in June). I started from office at close to midnight and reached home (then Ferozeguda, 23 kms away) in 2 hours. Now I feel like Schumacher after reading your account .

Even that night, there was such a huge line of 2-wheelers before and after the Hi-Tech City MMTS Station that it wasn't funny. Like you, I was ensconced in the comfort of Dad's Indigo that night. Many of the bikers, in their hurry to reach home, "dived" into the complimentary swimming pool in the underpass with traffic ahead of them and paid the penalty (having to brake in the middle of the pool and seeing water get into their engines). The line of 2-wheelers after the underpass reached almost up to Malaysian township!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Still can't understand where exactly the bottleneck was as once the traffic was released, I didn't find any water logging anywhere. I think the roads in Hyd have been in the worst condition this year.
Absolutely! This city is clearly unable to take the traffic load anymore. Couple that with the fact that we're seeing the highest amount of rainfall in recent years.

Funny thing with the road tax - I recently went to Kukatpally RTO to apply for permanent registration and you should see the approach road to the office from the Malaysian township side! So much tax is being collected but even the road to RTO doesn't see any benefit.

And perfectly good roads like the one in front ISB/Microsoft/Infy keep getting relaid for no reason whatsoever (and still swimming pools get formed on them ).

Hopefully roads like PVNR and ORR and many more like that will save the day.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 22:44   #600
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

office cab started from mindspace @ 6.40 to kphb. At 7.40 got down @ tejaswi motors across the cybertower junction and walked all the way to MMTS station hitech city and out of the ticketing counter till JNTU. Caught an auto from there to vivekanand nagar colony. Always wanted to bicycle/walk to office but never anticipated the walk to be in this kind of condition.
Reached home by 9 pm.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 17th August 2010 at 22:47.
vjoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Diversions in Andheri areas. IQBAL VEERJI Street Experiences 5 20th April 2011 08:32
NICE Road - Alternate Routes - Info and queries atkraju Route / Travel Queries 4 13th November 2008 21:39
Alternate routes to Nelamangala? haripg Route / Travel Queries 6 12th February 2008 14:02
Alternate routes for you to reach faster in Bombay! Gordon Shifting gears 13 31st December 2004 13:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks