Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do you get provoked easily by other drivers?
Yes 169 60.14%
No 112 39.86%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th March 2009, 20:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am a sedate driver and let maniacs pass (once in a while I do have my fun and block them for a few seconds though but thats pretty rare.). I prefer my spirit stays inside me rather than challenging it to an Out- Of - Body experience. My answer would be, not easily.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 11:42   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I read this somewhere a long time ago - "No one can get to you unless you give them the permission to". That statement made an impression on my mind.

My answer to the poll is NO. I do not get easily provoked by other drivers on the road simply because there are too many idiots out there. And I do have more important things to channel my brain toward. Why waste your time, energy and emotion on someone who you will never see again, for something as small as a traffic cut (example)? Let's look at the larger picture guys....let's be the bigger person in such a situation. After all, we are an informed, aware and educated bunch.

Another solution : Get yourself a big SUV like the Safari to roam around in. No one will mess with you
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well I used to get ego hassles with other drivers easily about 2 years back, but after a road incident that happened, good sense prevailed and now I dont get provoked at all. It was a blessing in disguise.

Now i just swallow my ego and back off. The end result is atleast i and my famiy are safe, which is most important.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well, it depends who the offender is:
If it is cabbies / autowallahs / BMTC buses, I just curse them to go to hell asap and leave it at that.

If it is private owned cars, I ensure I give them get two words on driving etiquettes!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:47   #20
BHPian

Was driving back from Pune in NH4, and was behind an Indica. Made the signs to give me a pass, but he was not budging from the right lane, while the left lane was free.

After waiting for almost two minutes and giving umpteenth flash, I was forced to overtake him from the left.

Came back to the right lane, slowed down. Made sure he can't overtake me from the left (keeping the speed same as him), slowed down even further when there was a govt bus on the left lane, enjoyed not budging to him when he flickered his lights. Then drove away.

After some time (we took a tea break in between), we could see him in front again. Two flickers and he moves to the left lane.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:36   #21
BHPian

My answer is NO. There was a time when I used to get provoked and let my car or bike speak. I would also shout at people doing all stupid things on road.

Well things have changed now. I have understood that these things will never change and will actually be worse day by day. No point in behaving this way.

PS: TBHP has contributed a lot in this behavior change. Thanks to TBHP.
swift8847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:47   #22
BANNED

My answer is YES, i get provoked if someone cuts me from the left.

But over 9 yrs of daily driving, i've got used to these maniacs and seldom get provoked, unless i am in a real good mood to race.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My answer is YES,

but, in the spirit of Surprise's post, GTO's post, and others, I am working on it.

Why should I spoil my journeys and reduce my life expectancy with anger. My experience is that the person it is directed against very often does not even look around, let alone take any notice. I am the only sufferer; in fact I suffer twice, once by the original offence, and then by my reaction.

So this is my resolution: not to react, however other drivers behave.

I do not expect of myself 100% success, but alread my driving is more peaceful, and more enoyable. As another poster said; let the lunatics go past.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 19:37   #24
BHPian

My answer would be a yes if the word 'easily' is removed actually.
However i have still voted for a yes now as I'm trying to make my answer 'no' for all situations.
meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 19:51   #25
BHPian

Honestly, I'd say yes but it depends on a lot on the circumstances. I'm trying to get a grip on it though. Living in Pune, with the number of 2-wheelers on the roads, it's really very hard though.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 20:13   #26
BHPian

Get Irritated - Yes
Provoked - No

When someone drives irrationally and erratically that makes me take sudden evasive action, yes, I get quite irritated, but I curse and move on. I do not believe in getting into arguments with such people, it is no use.
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 20:55   #27
BHPian

Depends upon the car I am driving. If its my NHC, I let them go away. But in case of my all-side dented santro, I make sure to harass them. Had a sumo earlier on, I remember rickshaws and other vehicles staying clear of it. Good o'l days.
dark_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another solution : Get yourself a big SUV like the Safari to roam around in. No one will mess with you
Yeah, that is a solution, like preventive maintenance. .

But, yes I do get provoked when driving at times though not easily. I do give it back to them in kind words( of course with windows rolled up, and when no children are in the car )Use the choicest of expletives in my mother tongue.

I remember giving a Tata Sumo guy a real hard time in the inner ring road, making him pay because of him trying to overtake me by cutting me off. I made sure I drove adjacent to an auto for atleast half a kilometer, making that guy lose his wits flashing, going here, there ... But that was long time ago.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:52   #29
BHPian

Well now a days I make it a point to tell myself before taking the wheels
that I am not going to get provoked by those maniacs on road. Thanks a
lot to team-bhp for educating about the consequences. Inspite of this I
do get provoked at times but I remind myself that due to those maniacs it
is me who is going to suffer either due to the increase in BP which would
lead to health issues later or due to consequences of trying to prove a
point by making my vehicle speak. So I swallow my ego and try to cool
down besides what difference can I make either way when there are million
others maniacs without any road sense or common sense on the road today.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 14:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Well, it depends who the offender is:
If it is cabbies / autowallahs / BMTC buses, I just curse them to go to hell asap and leave it at that.

If it is private owned cars, I ensure I give them get two words on driving etiquettes!
Well said Finneyp !! I also do the same way. Usually i ask the negligent drivers "Do you have eyes / ears" that is the max I do if we stop and start arguing with them, Then it is a ache on your head untill you reach the destination, because it is happening for ever and where is the
trtraj is offline   Reply With Quote