Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do you get provoked easily by other drivers?
Yes 169 60.14%
No 112 39.86%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th January 2010, 14:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO.

Thanks to everybody here, without which, I would've rated YES. After going through the entire thread I started practicing habbits that has made me less provocative on roads. Before starting the vehicle, be it to office or anywhere, I have the following things clearly on my mind...
1. I'm going to enjoy this ride/drive
2. The visual of the target place
3. I will learn something in this ride/drive
4. How can I improvise my driving/riding skill so that I become a role model or inspiration for others
5. I visualise that when someone is going to overtake me, I'm going to release my gas pedal or close the throttle and that makes them happy
6. I visualise the reaction of my family if they hear when I met with an accident

So everyday, for every drive, I keep telling this to me over & over.

Now I feel even more responsible that I'm part of Team-BHP
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 23:26   #107
BHPian

I am a relatively new driver and do get provoked easily although I tell myself that the guy in the other car might have a gun to calm me down. If someone breaks the law or cuts across me I usually give them a long honk to let them know that they were not driving properly.

I will narrate an incident which had happened to me a month or 2 ago, I was coming back from college and hit a stretch of traffic. I could see a black esteem with a HR registration behind me driving like a maniac and overtaking cars like crazy. I was now overtaking a truck and this guy cuts in front of me , I brake hard on my Maruti 800 to avoid collision, I gave this guy the longest horn of my life , around 15 seconds. Then this guy obviously knows that I am honking at him shows me the middle finger by putting his arm outside the driver side window (ofcourse I reciprocated but without putting my hand outside). Anyway I suddenly realised that this person could be a maniac also so I slowed down and let him go ahead. Saw him zoom ahead at 80-90 kmph on a clearer stretch of road ahead.

But this incident did open my eyes, none of us are insulated from road rage, its very easy to feel angry on the road, since that day I make a conscious effort to try and keep calm, the max I do is a 3-4 second horn , nothing more adventurous for me.
f1head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 01:43   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

The worst thing is getting tempted to chase after someone --- because it means driving at least as badly as they are.

Anyway... yes, still getting affected, especially by two-wheelers, and still working on it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 13:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

I used to be, when i was riding 2 wheelers. Nothing spectacluar to warrant rash driving ticket - but would just throng the throttle when its relativley traffic free.

Clamed down very much these days, Point is a respect others time and actions. When you take it personal, it very easy to get provoked.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 20:46   #110

I used to get provoked easily on the road during college days on my two wheeler. Then I got into a head-on collision with a bus and the front part of my bike (Front wheel, fork, head light and odo) was completely smashed. Luckily, me and my friend, who was riding pillion, escaped without a scratch. After that I wised up and bought a bullet standard 350. To tell the truth, the bull taught me that the journey is not about reaching the destination fast, it is also about enjoying the view on the way. Even when I graduated to cars, I still kept the same temperament as riding a bullet when driving in the city. On highways I *do* speed , but I make it a point not to get provoked if somebody overtakes me or cuts me.
maddjango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 12:41   #111
BHPian

I used to get provoked a lot, but later sanity has prevailed in my mind and i show my frustration through the horn.
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 13:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Not easily.

But if someone is provoking persistently, yeah maybe then.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 15:31   #113
BHPian

The key word here in thread is easily.
I usually drive cars with ease and though my city does not provide enough space for cars and my average speed is 30km/hr in the city but then too I like to have fun and enjoy it

But then there was this incident in which I was traveling with my father and uncle on a four wheeler. Our car was struck up in Huge traffic jam and all cars were in a single lane moving bumper to bumper.
I had one of the ambassador car carrying some VIP person and which was coming from behind with its hooter on.
As the traffic moved this car just came to side by side with me and I allowed that car to pass an come in front of me in the lane(Just because it was having red light)

Now there was one smart chap who put his car(Zen) behind ambassador and was asking me for a side
He crossed all the cars in the lane by driving just behind the ambassador and taking advantage of it. After I allowed the ambassador to enter in lane this person tried to corner my car (Dzire) and tried to enter in lane.

I was provoked so much that I feel like him. I opened my car's window and exchanged few heated words. But then I realize I have my parents sitting next to me.
I closed my window but I didnt allowed him to pass. I kept on moving and in the last he need to stop and take a pass from the car behind.
<Badguy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:21   #114
BHPian

Smile

I get easily provoked on road because i have a short fuse when i am riding or Driving. This is also because of the lot of anger and frustration that i keep supressed due to various personal and professional situations and obviously the road becomes the vent. But all my actions on road are only reactions and replies to rude,unsafe and ignorant drivers who not only put others vehicles but also the lifes at risk but doing some stupid stunts on road.

I live in bangalore and do a lot of travel within the city and atleast 2 trips to mysore in a month which is 140 kms away. the most problematic people i find are the Auto walas and the 2 wheelers. i dont know how many times my rear view mirrors are damaged, my rear bumpers have had dents. normally i have a practice of driving on the extreme right of the road so that i only have to be cautious of the left side only but many people cut my way badly leaving me pressed against the medians or i have to stop hard. if people do unknowlingly i keep quiet but if people do it even after i caution by pressing horn then i get wild and i have done many ugly things to vent my anger from shouting, honking and overtaking and blocking their way to even landing a few blows from my fist.

But all these incidents were obviously ruining my day at office or at home and spoiling my mood and hence i am consiously now decided to let go anyone who wants to overtake my car from left or right or even over my car and i stay calm. moreover nowdays it is more of a 1st gear drive in bangalore.

i had analysed that i always retaliated to any offense because i used the 2 powerful vehiciles like YAMAHA RX100 and MARUTI ESTEEM. i guess i would have behaved differently if i was on less powerful vehicles.

but now i am really taking it very easy and slow and i am avoiding car for city use and for long trips too. i am using bike for city use and i have started travelling by Bus for intercity trips.
rvmohankumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 14:42   #115
BHPian

A little incident today confirmed what my wife has been saying all along: that I have a short fuse when I'm driving.
It was about 9PM and I had stopped at a traffic light right behind a guy on an activa. An idiot behind me starts to honk. The light was red so I ignored him for as long as I could. Just as I start to roll down my window to give him the finger, he stops and I figure the gesture would be unnecessary.
Now this genius on the activa ahead of me gives me a dirty 'stop your bloody honking' look. Normally, I'd have boiled over at this point but he was a mid 50s decent 'Malleshwaram uncle' type so I stick my head out and politely tell him that I was not the one creating the ruckus. This seemed to set the moron off and he starts to gesture wildly and yells 'you idiot'.

....Continued on next post

Last edited by Roy.S : 1st July 2010 at 14:54.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 14:49   #116
BHPian

...Continuing from previous post.

The light turns green and he looks back, calls me an idiot once again and rides off.
Needless to say, I chased him till the next signal, got off my car, made him apologize (thrice ) growled 'next time watch yourself' and drove off.
Of course, a bigger man would have brushed it off and I'm not really proud of what I did, but what got my goat was that he assumed that his age gave him the right to act like a donkey and get away with it.
On an unrelated note, the rest of the 2 wheeler guys around gave me a wide berth so if you're going to get out of your car to confront someone, body language really matters. Especially if you are not a big guy (I'm 5'7").

Had to make back to back posts as the interface was not letting me post the whole thing together. Mods, please merge if possible.

Last edited by Roy.S : 1st July 2010 at 14:51.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:00   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

When the guy who had been honking at me drew up alongside, I opened my window and shouted at him. Then I heard the same honking again --- from behind. I felt very silly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:11   #118
BHPian

Rise your volume control while waiting at signals. Enjoy the music. :-)

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Provoked : YES, Easily : NO
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:30   #120
BHPian

I'm a biker and I understand how frustrated the car owners are. I try my best to give way to them when there is enough room. However, I get pissed off with 3 things

1. Autos
2. Cab drivers
3. Maniac 2 wheelers

The thing which pisses me off most is when someone honks when the light is still red. I make sure that I don't give way to them for a looong time Initially I used to get pissed off when someone cuts me off, but I'm slightly saner. Hope to be that way
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote