Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do you get provoked easily by other drivers?
Yes 169 60.14%
No 112 39.86%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st July 2010, 15:48   #121
BHPian

The worst in chennai traffic are share autos! they are like demon on wheels!. I really get pi$$ed looking at them drive. Normal autos are even worse. damn i have a nightmare driving in T.Nagar traffic!
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:08   #122
BHPian

I get provoked , yes ! and my driving would have provoked a few people too. But I realised when you go ahead with a sorry to a provoked driver , tension eases away.

I dont add share autos, yellow board Indicas/sumos, MTC Chennai busses to the list of people I would like to appologise to.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 18:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
The worst in chennai traffic are share autos!...............
I'm driving down to Chennai this weekend so wish me luck! One saving grace is that the roads are wide.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 20:59   #124
BHPian

Default Provoked?? Earlier: Yes, Now: No

I used to get easily provoked at maniac drivers till about 4 years back. Now, I am more patient (probably because I have driven in India for only 10 days in the last 2 years).

I used to ride a bike before and whenever I got honking from behind at a red light, I used to spread my wings and signal the person to fly over me. That used to really sober up the person.
Vijay.Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:07   #125
BHPian

One of my friends has a Sun Visor sticker that reads "Getting to my destination ALIVE is more important than teaching some UNKNOWN moron a lesson".
He says it's very effective, I am also planning to try that.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
The worst in chennai traffic are share autos! they are like demon on wheels!. I really get pi$$ed looking at them drive. Normal autos are even worse. damn i have a nightmare driving in T.Nagar traffic!

This is how I would rate it:
1. Bikers
2. Ricks (The smaller ones)
3. Share autos (APE)
4. Share autos (Minidor/Tata Ace magic/Other 3 or 4 wheeled contraptions)
5. Cabs/Cars/MUVs such as Qualis, Innova, Sumo with Yellow number plates
6. MTC buses
7. Other buses/LCVs
8. Cars for private use

I wonder how you forgot about the morons on two wheels who weave their way in traffic and even squeeze pedestrians off the footpaths, in addition to shamelessly jumping signals.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:11   #127
Senior - BHPian

Smile

I used to get provoked. But now I take it in good humor. One smile really helps.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:17   #128
BHPian

I keep my cool while riding/driving . I feel it is important for you to enjoy your bit on the road.
niks_devil666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 21:16   #129
BHPian

Although I've voted a "Yes", I'm glad to say a few stray incidents like the one mentioned by "Surprise" in the starting post have made me realize my folly....

As mentioned by a lot of people in this thread, I too get irritated and tend to lose my cool when someone cuts needlessly close, honks unnecessarily, or cuts in front of me....

In such cases, I have found it extremely helpful to simply cheer the offender on with a smile and a thumbs up..... sometimes they realize their mistake, sometimes they zoom off... but it helps you keep your temper in check....

A good ICE helps keep one cool as well

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 5th July 2010 at 22:21. Reason: Check your post. Thanks.
adisag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 19:01   #130
Senior - BHPian

Although I voted a "No" - I have to admit - the words "provoked easily" is key. I am normally sedate in my driving style, but invariably in Delhi, the sedateness does not last on bad-traffic days.
For example , I get put-off by drivers intentionally trying to pass other vehicles by driving on the wrong side. I have on occasion lowered my window and given vent to my frustrations with choice words. I regret it later, but after all I am human.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 08:13   #131
BHPian

No, not very easily.

But, i was once honked at by a fellow on a passion and it really got on to my nerves!! i let him pass and followed him on my pulsar, and kept my thumb firmly on the horn switch and didnt let go for about half a KM!!! I'm sure he'll remember the pulsar horn next time he honks unnecessarily!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 15:09   #132
BHPian

YES and NO.

I used to get provoked easily earlier when I was relatively a newer driver. But the following things have brought down my temper and am a safer driver now:
1. Maturity (read AGE)
2. Couple of close calls
3. Growing number of those morons - fed up of teaching lessons to all of them.
4. TBHP posts
5. TBHP stickers on my car which has instilled a lot of responsibility on me.

However I voted YES here since even now I get provoked (but not easily) by a few of them.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 10th July 2010 at 15:10.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:14   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

I have observed that if i keep my hand away from the horn, i am much calmer. The moment i start honking, i start getting impatient as well.
So now, instead of focussing on not getting impatient or angry, i focus on not honking.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:24   #134
BHPian

When I'm driving I am pretty sedate most of the time and hence not doing anything or causing anyone else do anything that would provoke me.

When I'm riding, its a different story. Since I ride fast to stay away from most of the traffic its pissing off the slower moving vehicles refuse to give way, that would be exactly getting provoked though.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 15:46   #135
BHPian

I used to get angry and provoked for the slightest of things earlier. But not now, except for one thing - honking - when at a signal / when there is no space for me to move. I wonder if most of these kind of people concentrate only the rear of the vehicle in front of them and nothing beyond that! They dont care if the signal is red, or if one has another 40 vehicles in front of them.

Once i was on my way home in the office cab around 2.30 in the morning. Roads were absolutely clear and this sumo was on high beam enough to light a playground. But this driver was honking every 2mins or so for no reason. i was sitting in the front and could see that there is not even a leaf on the road. i feel some people are just habituated to honking no matter what the situation is.
ZENnist is offline   Reply With Quote