Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th May 2005, 16:37   #1
F50
Senior - BHPian

Default RWD Rocked Us!!!

Sunday morning, 7 am we left from Surat to go to a religious place 25 kms ahead of Anand(Gujarat). We took the RWD car presently in our family Maruti Van (lolll). Its a 8 seater Van and being 9 of us it was better to take one car rather than two. Its something two and a half hours journey and inorder to reach there in time for darshan at around 9.30 my uncle took the wheel because he is known for really good highway driving and any how he will make sure that we reach there by 9.30.
So we hit the highway(NH 8) after a short cut from two small towns.
As soon as we reached highway uncle started doing what he does the best overtaking and blaring typical loud horn. Its common out here in Surat, no one keeps the original horn in the car they opt for louder horns. Overtaking like crazy and we were actually before time and keeping a constant speed of 100 and mind you thats a LPG Van thats pretty cool for LPG car, who says LPG cars are slow. Car also touched 105 for a short period and top speed on speedo being 120.
We crossed Baroda in no matter of time and still going quick.
Then suddenly some noise started to come of something not being even and running then we pulled to left and stopped the car.And to my surprise when i checked rear left tyre all four nuts were loose and wheel was wheel wobbling. The car was put on jack and then the nuts were tightened. And we were ready to roll. So again we started reached 100 before a minute but to make matter worse or should I say deadly, suddenly the car's rear side hit the road. Sparks flying some how he managed to stop it.And we all know how vans are dangerous at high speeds the only thing i was worried about was that the car should not topple but thank god it didnt and as soon as we stooped i checked out the rear, the rear tyre was missing along with the rim.
Yes, im not talking about some tyre burst or something the whole rim was missing and when i was looking here and there for tyre the rim along with tyre was still rolling in the 1st lane and there was no one behind so it was ok. Then rolling it went inside some bushes full of thorns and I had to go and remove it from there. When i was carrying the tyre back I saw the nuts were still there the rim came through the nuts. We were lucky or else no idea what would have had happened.
Then for removing the spare wheel a nut opener no. 14 which you'll find mostly in vans. So after stopping two vans we finally got it in the third one and after putting that one it was having less air so only two of us slowly drove the car to nearest tyre repair guy. We changed the tube and changed the rim the old tyre on spare wheel's rim.
Then after taking god's name we started again and hit the Ahmedabad Expressway because we missed 9 o'clock darshan we cant afford to miss 12s. So same speed was maintained of 100 and we did reach there at 12. And returned back with no other problems. We were really lucky.

Then day was not yet over even facing so many problems. Next day my car (santro) was supposed to leave for mumbai with my parents in it.
So at night I went for usual check-ups and fill-up. Then found that the tyre was punctured. So changed the wheel went to petrol pump got filled and checked, got the puncutured rectified and cruised home happily.
But, when i was heading home in van I saw he lights of my car were off but the brake lights were still on. So, i stopped and opened the car and did some things but it refuse to go off. Popped the hood, touched some wires here and ther but no results. Then only one thing came to my mind disconnecting the battery. I did so and told call me before they leave. So in the morning i went at 6 to fix it again just connected it again and asked dad when he reaches mumbai, get it done.

I had a day related to tyres, never changed so many tyres in a day in my life.

Last edited by F50 : 16th May 2005 at 16:40.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

You were damn lucky to walk away from such incident.
BTW didn't you checked can before leaving??
& what was cause by which tyre went off? i'm guessing probably rusty nuts as you already said "nuts were tightened"

also no offence but IMHO 100 in van (i am guessing you mean Omni) is dangerous. When I drove it scared the h*** out of me at 70
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 17:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I really wonder how come you guys speed again after this freaky incident, i mean i think it was downright stupid. I mean you did t show it to a authorised servcie station but onlya road side tyre mech right ??

Btw you could have simply taken out the fuse for the brake lamps
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 17:51   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
You were damn lucky to walk away from such incident.
BTW didn't you checked can before leaving??
& what was cause by which tyre went off? i'm guessing probably rusty nuts as you already said "nuts were tightened"

also no offence but IMHO 100 in van (i am guessing you mean Omni) is dangerous. When I drove it scared the h*** out of me at 70

No the nuts werent rusty but someone did it purposely because there is no way it will get loose by itself. And the loose nuts rotating at high speeds made a bigger hole in the rim and that was the cause of reason rim coming off.

And yes it was doing 100 no jokes I find it really challenging to drive van.
Enthus will say its not a good car because you cant take turns and all coz it may topple but god damn its challenging. I do drive it daily here in Surat and i myself have driven it on 95.
Old 16th May 2005, 19:38   #5
BHPian

F50,
I dont know if you were lucky enough to survive or you guys were living on a prayer.

I also dont know how your uncle is a good highway driver when he drives and overtakes like crazy <your own quotes>. Even if you are not worried about your own safety, please maintain the sanctity of a highway and drive safely. I dont mean drive slow, but stay within the limits of your vehicle, and please keep your vehicle well maintained. I hope these words dont fall on deaf ears.

I dread coming across a badly maintained vehicle on the roads.

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 19:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey f50,
had your van not stopped safely,you would have got a special darshan right in front of your god in heaven.

good to know that you are safe.

BTW what had happened to your santro lights?????
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 22:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know you are safe dude. Drive safe. You had mighty good luck this time...

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 23:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
had your van not stopped safely,you would have got a special darshan right in front of your god in heaven.
nice one. .

but, F50 ... why do u guys drive a car which is in such a poor condition..considering the bolts and the rim. ? this is the first case i'm hearing about a wheel coming off even with the nuts on. where were u guys heading to?? a temple?? i guess ur prayers were answered before hand. no offences meant.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 23:43   #9
RJK
Senior - BHPian

F50,
That was a real real close one man ! Lucky to live is all I can say.......
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 01:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Omni isn't a good handler, infact it's a hairy handler. But i enjoyed driving it to Kollur from Bangalore (520KM) in 8 hours, averaging 65. That aint bad in an Omni Only two of us were there in the van,and once the needle touched 120 on a downhill stretch (lol that's the max on the facia), Other than that it did upto 110 on level roads (took a lightyear to reach that speed though). Managed to lift the rear right wheel takin a hairpin curve! I am happy that it didn't topple. It was fun.

Once i reached home safe, i understood that i was being very irresponsible and it was a stupid thing to do in an Omni. Very stupid indeed. Only a sheet metal of few 'mm' in thickness in front seperating me from that tree!

The omni was in top condition, i made it a point to get everything - suspension, steering, brakes, brake fluid, water, oil and nuts checked the previous day.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 02:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

being lucky would be an understatement , glad to know that there were no caualties .

manson .
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey F50,

if the rim came out with the bolts,then there are 2 possibilities--either they were not tightened properly or the threads had worn out due to which they were slipping.

Quote:

BTW what had happened to your santro lights?????
????????
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 11:31   #13
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey F50,

if the rim came out with the bolts,then there are 2 possibilities--either they were not tightened properly or the threads had worn out due to which they were slipping.

But the rim came out without the nuts, nuts were still on the drum.

And Santro lights..... got them repaired as soon they reached Mumbai.
Old 17th May 2005, 20:34   #14
BHPian

I don't prefer an Omni for highway driving anyday, its a bit scary car on the highway. Good to know that you guys were safe after such terrible incident.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 23:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

F-50 pal,

thats really scary !!! maan thank God all of u guys are safe.....

but i cant trust an omni over 60 kmph ...and you guys touched 3 digits on a full load !! were you on a suicide mission or what ???

i would advise you never ever try 3 digits on the omni !

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote