Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 6th April 2009, 23:58   #1
BHPian

Default Dealing with wild animals during your road trip

During my various trips to waynad, I have had co-passengers mentioning about their encounter with wild elephants, esp during the summer. Thats when the watering holes dry up and these beasts move around, in the process, cross our path.

And during all these years, all i had come across is just a couple of deers, that jumped past us, and I just got a fleeting glimpse in the head light. I was eagerly waiting for an elephant to cross my path. But... for this video, I now have second thoughts.

I always wondered how one could get out of the situation, without agitating the animal, the ones territory that I am tress passing. Some say, switch off light, shut down engine and wait for it to pass, Some say, use head lights, high beam, bright light scare them away. And there are a lot of other things that people say, which can get you out of such tight situations.

Well, fellow travelers, i got this link in a mail. And it seems pretty effective. But yeah, it was only a single elephant, usually they move in herds. So..

Lesson learnt: If you travel a lot on highways, empty stretches, through forests, get a good working, loud highway horn. You never know when it will come in handy.

And if there are others like me, without one mega horn in their ride. Its time you and I read this thread, and brought one.
Horns (Power Horns!)
Old 7th April 2009, 00:13   #2
BHPian

Interesting video, Spinerr.

By the way when I saw the title of this thread, under Street Experiences, I thought it would be something to do with auto drivers.
Old 7th April 2009, 02:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Boy! Scary experience!
Some things won't change though.(referring to the guy hanging out of the Jeep,even as the elephant goes charging towards the vehicle).
Adi poli!
Old 7th April 2009, 05:23   #4
BHPian

Phew thats one Scary & Exciting Video. Look at the Beast Charging. I am sure the hair of the guys in the Jeep were Sticking up.

Cheers!!!
Old 7th April 2009, 07:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

We have similar topic running here (Wild Animals - A survival Guide). Please continue your discussion there.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread