Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th April 2009, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Default Amby rips away my getz's front bumper

This is the first accident that has occurred with me in the last one year of driving and it pisses me off as it wasn't even my fault.The scene goes like this there is a red light in front of me so i slow down, moving at a slow pace towards the cars at the stop.This ambassador suddenly comes from the left, in the process of overtaking me he turns a bit to the right and I feel a jerk followed by a loud sound.I stop the car and get off to see that the bumper is cracked and dangling from the car, literaly resting on the road.Noted the number down and as soon as the signal was green he sped away.It was a WB Goverment car.Parked the car on the side of the road, somehow managed to temporarily put the bumper on the car with the help of a passerby and came back home.The bumper surely has to be replaced so guys please help me with what the costs would be like for New bumper+paint+labour.

will post pics of it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01350.jpg  

Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01351.jpg  

Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01352.jpg  

Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01353.jpg  

Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01354.jpg  

Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01355.jpg  

Amby rips away my getz's front bumper-dsc01356.jpg  

Last edited by DjNik : 18th April 2009 at 22:33.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 22:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ohh man that hurts,luckily no damages to your headlight,the bumper wont cost you much as Getz parts are real cheap,i just got my cars right HL changed for 2,350/-
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 23:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

You may try getting the bumper repaired. It looks decently repairable IMO.

How much NCB are you gonna lose?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 23:56   #4
BHPian

Not sure if it can be repaired or not as it has a crack under the headlight.As for the NCB i have no clue, will need to ask dad about it.
Old 19th April 2009, 00:17   #5
BHPian

I would just go ahead and claim insurance. As far as I am concerned, loss of ncb is part of the cost of maintaining a car in our haphazard traffic conditions.
However, you have got to weigh the amount lost on ncb against the value of the claim. Most of the time this guarding of the ncb is not worth it.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 00:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even i am doubtful it can be repaired due to it being cracked.

Compare this figure :

Amount Payable after insurance __ (>,<,=) and Full Payment-NCB.

Whichever is less, go for that option.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 00:39   #7
BHPian

That is terrible way to overtake.Those government drivers!!!

As there is a crack in the bumper it will have to be replaced.When a bumper is replaced,it is replaced fully.And since bumper is a plastic (i think) it will get only 50%-75% insurance if the vehicle is older than 1 year.

May be it will cost around 10K.I had also replaced my swifts bumper recently,but it was under insurance though.
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 00:40   #8
BHPian

Spoke to dad right now and he says that we will go ahead with claiming insurance, wont make much of a difference according to him.
My car is only 5 months old with only 2400 on the odo.It really hurts when you take every bit of care to maintain the car then some body just comes and screws it all up.

Last edited by DjNik : 19th April 2009 at 00:43.
Old 19th April 2009, 11:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Your Santro could have easily outrun that behemoth called Amby. Why did you not chase the culprit, stop and walloped him right on the nose?

Oh, now I get it. He could be a member of the famed CITU or whatever that non-sensical organisation of lumpens is called. And you didn't want to mess with...
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 11:56   #10
BHPian

Well yes i could have surely chased him only if my bumper would not be dangling from the car.Well anyways it was a WB Gov car with 5-6 people in it, It would have made no sense creating a scene on the road.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

oh this really hurts to see this.
the crack can be repaired but will not look good,the bumper guys they stitch it with some wire.i will say get it changed.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 12:46   #12
BHPian

that is sad mate!
government drivers!!! wonder when will people learn to drive responsibly on indian roads?
claim insurance and get her back to shape. you will have to pay some fixed charges plus 50% of the cost of the bumper. paint and labor will be borne by the insurance company.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 12:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Well yes i could have surely chased him only if my bumper would not be dangling from the car.Well anyways it was a WB Gov car with 5-6 people in it, It would have made no sense creating a scene on the road.
Yea, would get you nothing for your efforts. Just a waste of time and energy, trying to argue with these drivers. At most, you'll get a chance to work off some steam by cursing them... that's about it.
Bad luck man... Cal roads are getting worse by the day.

The bumper looks more or less repairable, but that crack is a concern. Insurance is a good idea, but do the 'loss of NCB' vs 'cost of repairing' calculations, and go with the cheaper option.

Would recommend Alok Automobiles in Topsia for your repair work. They are a Hyundai A.S.S centre and do good work. I used to get my Santro serviced there and most of the work on my Lancer has been done there.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 12:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sad man, but cant help am sure if you had stopped them it wont have helped you in anyway instead might have got dirty!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 14:03   #15
BHPian

Will make final decision on claiming insurance after getting a quote.Will be visiting Bengal Hyundai as well as alok automobiles.One thing iss for sure that i wont get the bumper repaired, will get it replaced.