Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th May 2009, 13:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear what happened to your car man. i realized parking outside is a ticking time bomb. it is unbelievable, people just can not walk past a car without doing something. but what you describe is an extreme case. hope it gets fixed without having to spend lot of money.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 13:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Oh and yes, for these vandals, the more prettier the vehicle, the more "itch" they have to destroy it!

A curse to all the vehicle lovers!!!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:04   #18
BHPian

While its a curse to vehicle lovers, Id rather you heap curses on those who destroy vehicles. Do post some pictures. A scorpio at that - not that the car would have mattered. I had the time of my life trying to explain kids in my building that the space around my car and the building wall wasnt some alley where they could practise their speed runs. The little monsters would speed in their bicycles and almost daily one of them would miss by an inch and magically a new scratch would appear.

I was told by delighted parents (who were thrilled that their lil monsters could ride on 2 wheels) to stop picking on the kids when I talked to them sternly. Was also asked to get 'proof' that indeed it was their angels who damaged the car. Sigh. This despite me catching them red handed a couple of times and the scratches being at the exact level where they should be when those bikes collided.

After a rickshawallah banged into the rear door leaving a huge dent, I just stopped caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Oh and yes, for these vandals, the more prettier the vehicle, the more "itch" they have to destroy it!

A curse to all the vehicle lovers!!!
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the next door site is an empty one and no one usually parks there as they are scared of my dogs.
Don't intend to piss you off, but the above could be the reason. Someone is inconvenienced by *being scared* of your dogs, and takes it out on the car.

Hope your car gets well soon.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But bottomline is that I feel by the grace of the good god above that by this thing happening now, possibly something bigger and worse has been averted hopefully.
That is a good attitude sir! Sometimes things happen, you just need to time do the healing. Hope your jeep gets well soon. Do post some pics.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:10   #21
BHPian

@shankar,

Are You sure its a case of vandalism? I suspect if someone tried to break open the bonnet in accordance with theft. Maybe he/she wanted to break the fuse from the running lamps to deter the alarm!

+Rocky+
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:10   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Your incident: Please report to police and file an FIR, might not be getting you any benefits but still..

And go for the insurance and that FIR would be of help there. Though not required for comprehensive insurance all types of claims. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Since there are no third party claims involved, an FIR is not required. You can raise a claim for the damage on your own calling up the toll free number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sorry to hear this - see if you can live with some of the damage, I've noticed that it prevents further vandalism to an extent.
Quite true, since someone's sadistic pleasure has already been met. Others look for "fresh" samples to practice their art.

Shankar, saddening to hear of the incident.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, your suggestion ref impact sensor may be a good idea - problem only is that each time the dogs come out for a walk they jump about near the jeep in their excitement and will definitely set it off accidentally!
That is still better than having a scratched or dented car. I had the option of disabling in from remote, Autocop, thats 6 year back. I am sure technology must have advanced by now
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Street Vandalism is just so frustrating:
- My 1963 Fiat Super Select was scartched on the bonnet with a stone by some school boys.
- My 1974 Toyota Corolla has the Rear view mirron broken one fine day.Some one tried removing it.
- My Tata Sierra has a bumper to bumper scar..someone must have taken a steel piece and decided to draw a line.

The chagrins continue...I guess some day one is jealous and they do such things.
In all,its a horrid thing.I would never do such thing to other's cars.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:55   #25
BHPian

Empathise fully with you on this Shankar. Got my car scratched by a beggar in MG Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
OT: I've heard about some mysterious dents surfacing when an owner was taking a power nap and his travel companion was driving.
I had witnessed such a thing, and was amazed that a bouncing cricket ball can do the damage (a smooth dent without any scratch)

Last edited by arindamray : 12th May 2009 at 14:56.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 15:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:

But what I cannot understand is why anyone should do this intentionally -
One and only one reason. Jealousy! Have been there and experienced the pain. It's not about the money but the pain inflicted on seeing the car bruised. We managed to catch the guy and as it turned out, the moron was a techie working at one of the reputed firms. What can be done about such people! It happens frequently in bangalore.
Best solution is to park the car inside the compound. If there is not enough parking space then put a cover on it every night.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 15:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
If there is not enough parking space then put a cover on it every night.
Agreed, this will work against sadist who want to scratch your car with a sharp object. But in Shankar's case the damage would have gone unnoticed unless he would have taken off the cover. If that would have been a couple of days then I don't know how the original post would have sounded like.
Then there are irresponsible, kids who want to do things with their teeny cycles, then too any dents will go unnoticed, if the car is undercover for a week or so.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:04   #28
BHPian

I guess there is a school nearby my in laws place. Whenever I visit them over the weekend, I park my car on the road just in front of the compound.

I used to see some very minor hairline kinda scratches on my car whenever I visit my in laws on saturdays.
I always have the habit of closing my ORVMs when parking and the right side ORVM also used to be open with a lot of finger prints on the mirror.

But if I visited them on sundays, none of this used to happen.

One saturday, I thought of seeing what happens to the car and parked the car and stood just about 20 meters ahead of the car and was pretending to search for some address or something like that.

During this time, I saw a lot of school kids pass by my car and what I noticed is that the kids who were walking along in groups or alone by themselves without any parents or adults with them did not even touch the car. They just walked past by the car.

But almost all the kids who were with some adult touched the car.

One kid who was walking with a woman was holding a choclate wrapper which was shiny. As he passed by the car, I saw him move his hand from the rear end of the car till the front. It was as if he was using the chocolate wrapper to draw a line on the car.
This is how I realised the source of hairline scrathes.
This kid, after running the choclate wrapper on my car as he reached near the ORVM, opened it looked in the mirror and was touching all over the mirror leaving this finger prints all over it.

By this time I had enough.
So I went to the woman and said to her in a stern voice:
why can't you control your kid who is scratching the car and dirtying the mirror?

For this the woman said, why are you worried about the car, Is this your car or what?
I replied to her saying it is my car and took my remote and just flashed the lights on the car.

Realising that it is my car, she said, dont worry nothing will happen to your car if a kid moves his hand over the car.

I showed her some scrathes caused by the choclate wrapper.
After seeing the scratches, she says why are so worried about some scratches which can hardly be seen. It will go away if you wipe it with a cloth or something.
Anyway its a small kid who was having some nice feeling about touching the car. can't you take it for the kid and forget about these scratches?

I was getting irritated now, I just told her in a stern reply that: make the kid to whatever he wants on something that belongs to them and not to someone else's property. She just made a weird face and left.

I am sure most of the people behave the same way as it is not their property which is getting damaged.
Unless people learn to respect other's property this will keep happening.
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 16:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
I showed her some scrathes caused by the choclate wrapper.
After seeing the scratches, she says why are so worried about some scratches which can hardly be seen. It will go away if you wipe it with a cloth or something.
Look at the nerve! You should have followed her to her home with some chocolate wrapped in sand paper and done the same thing to her vehicle, if she had any.
Pathetic attitude and no respect for others property. People have a lot to learn. Kids will behave well if properly parented.
Now the kid is well equipped with his mother's backing and will show no remorse in doing the same to other's property as well. Disgusting. Sorry for the aggression.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, this is how we are. Bear the pain with philosophic grace. Nothing's about to change here!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote