Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd May 2009, 05:24   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I feel India is one of the most dangerous countries to drive in PERIOD. Its a free for all here, so quite frankly I understood this in my first two years of driving that just abiding by the rules and being safe driver isnt enough. You gotta be a defensive driver at the same time. Kinda like the funda of being street smart. Again lets not get there because we all know the situation and we all live it everyday. Even many elderly and respected members here who have spend their lives abroad and are living here face a tough time just avoiding all the fools on the road. Being safe and following rules is double whammy!

Again like I asked before I have no idea but I would like to start a thread with first hand experences on this with pictures as well. So instead of everyone being politically correct by ending their posts by saying "I dont know the guy but blah blah" lets try and be realistic and wish a fellow t-bhpian and speedy recovery and hope he gets out of the mess asap. And believe you me. If he is at fault he will face the wrath but its quite unwarrented now in any form whatsoever to bash a guy you know nothing about. I mean the fellow members here who know they guy are taking his side right? They know what happened and he must surely not be at complete fault otherwise they wouldnt have backed him up. Show some love guys.
+1 to that. He's part of the community, and he's probably facing enough flak from other people without taking it from us too. He's messed up, and he'll probably regret it forever. The least we can do is show our support (towards him, not towards what he did).

It's going to haunt him for a long time, and I doubt any of you would be want to be faced with something like that everytime you log on to the forum. Let's forget the incident, and let's help him forget it and move on with his life.

And to all the people who are talking about using connections to get out of a mess etc., one word: Hypocrites.
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:48   #167
BHPian

DISCLAIMER : My views in this Post is more concerned with people attached to our Motorsport community & i am really not interested to know whose mistake it really was either the cyclist or the car driver as it will be always debatable.

First of all my Condolence to the departed, it was the most unfortunate incident to happen, I know we cannot back the time but the thing is we all don't learn from the Mistakes. We have been witnessing similar incident via Media/Newspaper but we people tend to forget after some time & we are back to our lifestyle, its only when the incident happens with our own hands or someone close to us then we realize it. Since Mihir is from our Motorsport community it puts a question mark on all of us, Do we all follow some practice norms ? some safety guidelines ?

Trust me, its no fun at all getting all that adrenal rush at the cost of someone else life & property.

It was an accident which has happened & we all very well know that it was unintentional,going by the circumstance it looks to me as if they were going for some test ride when this incident happened,some time back there was a similar incident which happened in same circumstances where karan of K.S motorsport & Kartik were involved in a freak incident & they both had hurt themselves, again this was during Testing/tuning the car in the small bylanes of Ballard Estate.

I dont know about rest of the world but for our Motorsport Community Safety begins at Home.
Unless & until we follow some safety norms how can we guide others??? Its high time we need to think very seriously about it.

Few points which can make a difference

1) Let all Tuners who build cars for their customers educate/inform the driver about surrounding roads & request them to adhere to speed limits.
2) Any kind of Testing (low speed) should be done on less conjusted open roads during off peak hrs.
3) For all out WOt runs, highway or any wide stretch road with very long clear visibility, keep watching for signal junction as chances are that a rickshawala might jump in suddenly.
4) Check the Car Mechanically for its road worthiness, Tyres,brakes, attached front Bumper etc, There was possibility that Milkman could have got away with only minor injury if the Bumper was attached.

This is all i can think about at the moment pease chip in your views.

Hope Mihir comes out of this Mess soon.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:28   #168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lets say if any of the prominent mods/posters here had a accident and they want the legal stuff to be sorted out before coming here and talking about it.
You have so obviously missed the point in the posts of these so-called "prominent mods/posters". What was posted in utmost clarity was this (just to make sure that the message is clearly delivered this time):

1. If you want to defend, do so by backing it up with facts. Most of our statements have been based on a) common sense (for instance, pictures of the car which portray damage that wouldn't have been possible at 20 kph) or two newspaper reports (which have been the only formal source of information yet. Last I checked, the entire country bases their opinions on newspaper reports, on matters FAR more significant than this one).

2. Calling the newspaper reports incorrect, but not even specifying where they are wrong, is really not going anywhere. Plus, atleast one of the newspaper reports quotes a police officer who, in my opinion, is better equipped to analyse such a situation than you (not only has he been trained and has exponentially more experience, but he also has access to case facts which you clearly don't). Or anyone else who keeps crying out from the rooftops without disclosing one fact to back their statements up.

Or maybe - I just hope - that the "prominent" people you refer to have better sense than to drive around in a substantially modded car without headlamps at 8 p.m. at a speed that is enough to cause a secondary accident that kills the driver of a parked auto rickshaw, over and above the cyclist one first crossed paths with.

Quote:
Because of so many people bashing the guy I am forced to take his side.
Very innovative approach and one, I gotta add, that has clearly nothing to do with the facts of the story. I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot more people to side up with, on a frequented basis, in other walks of life too.

Among other things, this statement of yours also amplifies the fact that your support is to be discounted. Because it is not based on facts and merely decided by where the majority sits.

Quote:
Heck I cant even tell you the amount of times I've crashed to save the damn kid running across the road!
If you can't even tell us the *number of times* you have crashed to save a kid running across the road, it's probably time for you to enroll into driving school. All of us drive on the same Indian roads as you do, some in more powerful cars while logging on more kms (higher running), but somehow, haven't encountered this situation so many times that we can't even recollect!

Quote:
Sure if you're in a exotic you have a right to have a little attitude.
Whoa cowboy, hold it. Firstly, please define what "attitude" means in this context. Second, I can assure you that you are in the minority on this call. Giving a supercar owner the imaginary right to have a *little attitude* is laughable at best. Last I checked, this isn't the Team-BHP joke thread. Or maybe attitude has a different meaning to you (which is why I asked for a clarification on what it means).

Quote:
I mean who wouldnt run?
Allow me to clarify : Some amongst us have chosen not to run in previous road accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
We'll yea maybe i think ill do that.
Umm, whatever you meant to communicate out here just bounced off the top of my head (as it probably did for others as well). Please take the effort to type your posts in clear legible English, otherwise this is really aren't going anywhere.

*Mod Cap on* Actually our rules state so as well and there is an infraction for poor readablity in place.*Mod Cap off*

Quote:
If i were speaking about myself i would have said so aryush.
Again, a legible posting style would actually get us somewhere. What is aryush?

Quote:
SOME people may not know but ALOT of them know who Mihir is. Do you..???
I don't see what difference that makes to this discussion. Or are you trying to say that "knowing someone" is enough to take a judgement call on an incident (versus knowing what really happened? Which you have posted you don't?). If that is what you meant, then I'm sorry to say....it is you who is biased and not most of the posters on this thread. Anyways, you post one day that you know the real facts, then you come back to say that only two people do so (neither of which is you). We would appreciate crystal clear - and factual - communication from you.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:32   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You have so obviously missed the point in the posts of these so-called "prominent mods/posters". What was posted in utmost clarity was this (just to make sure that the message is clearly delivered this time):
OK so let me respond to your post in a utterly clear language and state facts. Lets just hope that we stick by the guns here and this post doesn't get deleted because you wont appreciate it as much as me I am sure.

Quote:
1. If you want to defend, do so by backing it up with facts. Most of our statements have been based on a) common sense (for instance, pictures of the car which portray damage that wouldn't have been possible at 20 kph) or two newspaper reports (which have been the only formal source of information yet. Last I checked, the entire country bases their opinions on newspaper reports, on matters FAR more significant than this one).
Actually I have just asked people to hold on before we can get more facts. And also because he is part of the community. Unless you have years of experence as a Insurance Inspector (or whatever they're called) I am sure you cant jump to conclusions about what happened by looking at pictures. But yes the facts which are already in place seem to be from newspapers which call the F 430 a Ford - 30.

Quote:
2. Calling the newspaper reports incorrect, but not even specifying where they are wrong, is really not going anywhere. Plus, atleast one of the newspaper reports quotes a police officer who, in my opinion, is better equipped to analyse such a situation than you (not only has he been trained and has exponentially more experience, but he also has access to case facts which you clearly don't). Or anyone else who keeps crying out from the rooftops without disclosing one fact to back their statements up.
You called our Police officers trained and equipped to handle such situations, I completely lost you there my friend. But yes I agree that there are people here who have been in touch with Mihir and know his side of the story. BUT they have mentioned because of the legal hassle that he is in right now they cannot disclose it. I dont see anything wrong in that. I am quite sure they know once they've mentioned that they know what happened they will have to eventually spill then beans on the whole incident. If they didnt want the facts to be out, why bother to ever even mention it?

Quote:
Or maybe - I just hope - that the "prominent" people you refer to have better sense than to drive around in a substantially modded car without headlamps at 8 p.m. at a speed that is enough to cause a secondary accident that kills the driver of a parked auto rickshaw, over and above the cyclist one first crossed paths with.
I was talking in a real world sense, there are some scenerios which are just not possible. I have seen quite a few offroading vehicles without any lights as well. Are they towed/trucked to and fro or are abandoned at the offroading place itself?

Quote:
Very innovative approach and one, I gotta add, that has clearly nothing to do with the facts of the story. I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot more people to side up with, on a frequented basis, in other walks of life too.
Did you just judge my character? Or me in entirety? I am sure thats a personal attack and is against the rules of T-BHP I am quite sure.

Quote:
Among other things, this statement of yours also amplifies the fact that your support is to be discounted. Because it is not based on facts and merely decided by where the majority sits.
On the contrary I am feeling I am sitting on the minority side. And I am quite sure I talked about more facts then all your posts in this thread combined!

Quote:
If you can't even tell us the *number of times* you have crashed to save a kid running across the road, it's probably time for you to enroll into driving school. All of us drive on the same Indian roads as you do, some in more powerful cars while logging on more kms (higher running), but somehow, haven't encountered this situation so many times that we can't even recollect!
Oh darn, *touch wood* never crashed in a car. Far more expensive I agree but the laws of physics (power to weight ratios) of some of the bikes I've had will put many supercars to shame. I dont feel that I need to start a Bike vs Car funda here. Its merely a rebuttal to your misunderstanding. As far as your statement about (in context to) crashing on bikes goes (you were talking about cars in the first place), ask any biker here. Skill has nothing to do with it my friend.

Quote:
Whoa cowboy, hold it. Firstly, please define what "attitude" means in this context. Second, I can assure you that you are in the minority on this call. Giving a supercar owner the imaginary right to have a *little attitude* is laughable at best. Last I checked, this isn't the Team-BHP joke thread. Or maybe attitude has a different meaning to you (which is why I asked for a clarification on what it means).
Attitude in supercar sense means asking/forcing random people from poking/prodding/scratching your beloved vehicle. A true enthuiasast would never do such a thing to someone else's ride.

Quote:
Allow me to clarify : Some amongst us have chosen not to run in previous road accidents.
I am sure it worked out quite well for you. I never encouraged anyone to run or not run. I was talking about good judgment. It could save your life. Like i've mentioned countless times before and tried using the contact us form about graphic images and narrating a story where the driver of the vehicle involved in a accident actually got beaten to death my a mob. I am sure staying put didnt work out as well for him as it did for you guys.

As far as some of the other things I wanted to mention I would let those "facts" remain in the closet for now. For everyone's betterment and so that the thread doesnt skew to off topic mode. And many people here dont have to get "facts" out in the open but are using the word like there is no tommorow. If you cant have a platform to talk about/ judge your own actions (t-bhp ops, mod actions, any general information about the workings) with backing from facts & truth (real information) I suggest you dont get there.

Last edited by quickdraw : 23rd May 2009 at 23:38.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 00:17   #170
Senior - BHPian

I went through the picture of the car, and saw the direction this thread is going.

1) We are just no one to speculate that what exactly happened unless and untill we are eye witness to the incident.
We all are aware of the three wheelers being stopped near the stalls and they are not proper parking place for three wheelers. Moreover we know pedestrians and cyclists of this country.

2) But this also does not mean that both the cyclist and three wheeler were at fault. The photograph shows that the car was indeed carrying good clip. Some days ago, I was rear ended by Scorpio when I tried to save one biker coming in wrong direction just to avoid spending more fuel ( road divider was there, he never wanted to travel in correct direction and take U turn ). The Scorpio was at around 20-30 kmph. The damage is not much at the rear end my M800.

The image as shown in other thread clearly indicates that the car was indeed in high speed which is wrong.

3) What we can do :
Learn from this incident. Driving at more than 60 kmph in cities in India is nothing short of inviting disaster, irrespective of state or city. Never ever cross that limit unless one is in emergency situation.

What I could observe from this thread is very clear :
a) Slower speed would have reduced the chances of accident and the life lost would have been saved. It doesn't matter if the cyclist is wrong and three wheeler was parked in non sense manner, but the speed must have been less. Daily I myselft encounted a lot of lost brains who ( even 60-year olds who are responsible citizens ) would drive on wrong side thanks to road dividers. But what do we do ? Daily we let them go.

I think slower speed would have helped a lot in reducing the damage.
As of now we just can pray for the man who lost his life.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 00:20   #171
Senior - BHPian

Default Facts please

This thread is fast becoming farcial. Either we have the facts or we do not post. If the facts are to be disclosed later, please make the posts later.

I see no point in posting opinions now without the facts. Mere speculation, surmise and conjencture get us nowhere. There is no point in making broad statements and generalisations. There is no point in getting angry, personal etc.

This thread has meandered through a whole gamut of opinions e.g. cyclists are bad, pedestrians are bad, mobs are bad (I agree with this one), auto drivers are bad (heyy this particular auto was parked!), young drivers are bad, drivers of imports are bad, drivers of fast cars are bad, the car in question was doing 20Kmph, the car in question was doing over a 100 Kmph, etc. LOL.

Let us either investigate further or revisit this topic after more facts are disclosed. In the meanwhile, there are several useful things we could do to offer support to all of the affected persons either in cash or kind. A fund for the family of the deceased cyclist, a fund for the treatment of the auto driver and for repair of his auto, a fund for legal assistance to all parties, a support group for the driver and passenger in the car etc. etc.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 07:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

Ravveendrra, Don't know about you, but it appears to me that facts about the case isn't going to be disclosed any time soon. The reason given is that its a "legal" matter. Whether its a valid reason or just an excuse is for a lawyer to decide, But I have seen another member (hats off to him) come on the forum and discuss his car accident in which there was a fatality.

I am neither judge, jury or a lawyer, but as a layman,I hope this does not turn into another Nanda BMW case.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 09:29   #173
BHPian

Quote:
I was talking in a real world sense, there are some scenerios which are just not possible. I have seen quite a few offroading vehicles without any lights as well. Are they towed/trucked to and fro or are abandoned at the offroading place itself?

Attitude in supercar sense means asking/forcing random people from poking/prodding/scratching your beloved vehicle. A true enthuiasast would never do such a thing to someone else's ride.
In a real world sense many people commit rape/murder/extortion get away with it and even go on to become MLA/MP/Ministers that does not mean its right to do it

you dont have to own a super car to have that kind of attitude in fact i have seen many middle class people owning maruti 800s and santros taking utmost care of their car cause that small cheap car was brought with many years of their hard earned money and will take many years to repay the loan and will be with them for 5 to 10 years whereas the guy owning a super car will be super rich and cost of acquiring it is nothing and he will get bored with it within a few months and buy another super car

I dont know Mihir and will never know him for all i know he may be the sweetest person in the world and a very skillful driver

i do not know the road he was driving on if it was a oneway,if there was a divider and the autoguy and milkman were on the wrong side etc
fact is he was driving a already very very powerful car modified to put out even more power without headlights,bumpers at night

I can think of 2 scenarios

1.He was at low speed 20-30 kph and hit the milkman. that speed is enough to kill someone because of the exposed sharp edges of the car without headlights, bumper etc he panics and floors the accelerator and hits the auto

2.He was at high speed from the beginning and hits the milkman looses control and hits the auto

even if the milkman and auto guy were on the wrong side of the road Mihir had no right to drive that car without headlights and bumper at night

Mihir has loads of money so by now the cops,milkmans family,autodriver would have received some I dont think there is anything wrong with this
in india there is no medical insurance for common man by the govt in such cases where medical bills can run into lakhs of rupees there is no way that autodriver can afford medical treatment if hes critically injured. court cases for compensation will take years and outcome is not predictable

No accident is intentional unless its a supari killer or madman driving the vehicle

what has happened was not intentional thats why we call it an accident
Mihir was at fault may be 50% or even 100% from his side

Best option now is for everybody involved-Mihir and the milkmans family,autodriver is for Mihir to adequately compensate the family of the dead milkman and the auto drivers medical treatment and auto repairs or new auto
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:03   #174
BHPian

Quote:
In a real world sense many people commit rape/murder/extortion get away with it and even go on to become MLA/MP/Ministers that does not mean its right to do it
Best option now is for everybody involved-Mihir and the milkmans family,autodriver is for Mihir to adequately compensate the family of the dead milkman and the auto drivers medical treatment and auto repairs or new auto
The point you made in the first paragraph seems to have been lost somewhere in the long post. Financial compensation is and always will be secondary - it does not absolve the individual of the wrong that was committed.

If the "rich and well connected" are to be allowed to get away with offenses by paying compensation then only chaos and mayhem will prevail. What is to stop people from running over other people then? Perhaps only the size of their bank balances!

Proper punishment is a must - it is the only effective deterrent to such incidents - a "work in progress" must not be tested on public roads ever again.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:22   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post

If the "rich and well connected" are to be allowed to get away with offenses by paying compensation then only chaos and mayhem will prevail.

Proper punishment is a must - it is the only effective deterrent to such incidents - a "work in progress" must not be tested on public roads ever again.
I like how we're all talking about the "rich and well connected" in third person. I think it's safe to say that every single TBHP user is "rich and well connected" when compared to the cyclist or the auto driver.

Quote:
What is to stop people from running over other people then? Perhaps only the size of their bank balances!
You sound like you think rich people like to run over people for fun. This point has been made again and again in this thread, but let me make it again: It was an accident.

With regards to your last para, I completely agree but I'm not going to be hopeful about such a scenario. International car makers themselves test cars in towns sometimes (or if they don't, they at least drive them to the circuit on public roads. I say this with such conviction because press photographers seem to get "spy-shots" of upcoming cars quite regularly, and there's no way these shots are taken inside private testing facilities)

Last edited by f450 : 24th May 2009 at 10:23.
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:31   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So was the car on the road without headlights? at 8pm in the night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
man were on the wrong side etc
fact is he was driving a already very very powerful car modified to put out even more power without headlights,bumpers at night...

...even if the milkman and auto guy were on the wrong side of the road Mihir had no right to drive that car without headlights and bumper at night
That just about sums up the whole incident for me.
Mumbaikars know that pedestrians, cyclists and some other road users are wrong most of the time. We keep these characters in mind and then decide on our speed.
Driving any car after sunset without headlights is illegal.
Driving any car after sunset without headlights on Mumbai roads is not only illegal, but, outright reckless.
Those defending Mihir should also take one thing into consideration. He's extremely lucky to have hit a cyclist and a rickshaw. That's why he survived. What if he hit an oily black tanker without lights? Needless to say, the tankerwalla (actually all tankerwallas) would have been crucified on the forum.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th May 2009 at 11:18.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 11:15   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah! Tell me about it! pssst..you forgot to add mass murderers to the list!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 11:47   #178
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lets just hope that we stick by the guns here and this post doesn't get deleted because you wont appreciate it as much as me I am sure.
Do revisit our rules and understand our moderator action before making flying statements. I'd advise you to save your hopes for when they are needed. If you need to comment on moderator action, we encourage you to use the contact us form or the reported posts functionality.

Quote:
Actually I have just asked people to hold on before we can get more facts.
The repeat question by many is : What makes this thread different from any other where an accident is being discussed? And if we want to enable a discussion based on ALL facts, and hearing both sides of the story : we should probably close down all car crash threads, speculation on car launches, scoop discussions, and any other. By definition, this is a forum we are on : It is a DISCUSSION board. And any discussion will take place on facts currently available.

Quote:
Unless you have years of experence as a Insurance Inspector (or whatever they're called) I am sure you cant jump to conclusions about what happened by looking at pictures.
Last I checked, no one is making a list of damaged parts to the car, nor an estimate of the cost of repair. Exactly the job of an Insurance surveyor (yup, that's what they are called).

Common sense has been applied to a guesstimation (as in my post earlier). If you wish to argue on observations - based on information currently available - be my guest. We look forward to them.

Quote:
But yes the facts which are already in place seem to be from newspapers which call the F 430 a Ford - 30.
Absolutely. But there is no other media out there that doesn't make mistakes. Actually, there isn't any source of mass information that doesn't have mistakes. We don't stop following them now, do we?

Quote:
You called our Police officers trained and equipped to handle such situations, I completely lost you there my friend.
Don't lose me. I choose to give more credit to the cops than most people out there.

Quote:
But yes I agree that there are people here who have been in touch with Mihir and know his side of the story. BUT they have mentioned because of the legal hassle that he is in right now they cannot disclose it. I dont see anything wrong in that.
Exactly what I meant. PLease re-read my earlier post. No one is forcing anyone to disclose. However, in the same breath, do not try to defend without providing any facts or pointing out errors in the newspaper reports either.

Quote:
I was talking in a real world sense, there are some scenerios which are just not possible.
What was not possible? Running headlamps on a car? Give me a break.

Quote:
I have seen quite a few offroading vehicles without any lights as well. Are they towed/trucked to and fro or are abandoned at the offroading place itself?
I don't know of any, unless you are talking about Allan's WIP MM550 which was driven during daytime (when you will agree headlamps don't play as crucial a role as at night) and the offroading took place in his backyard (read = NOT driven more than a couple of meters on a public road). Either ways, I don't agree with that approach and was the first to tell Allan + comment publicly of how dangerous his 550 is in that condition.

Quote:
I am sure thats a personal attack and is against the rules of T-BHP I am quite sure.
Please read the first para of this post.

Quote:
On the contrary I am feeling I am sitting on the minority side.
LOL! Your exact post:

Quote:
Because of so many people bashing the guy I am forced to take his side.
That is still decided by where the majority sits, wasn't it? Seems to have a pattern just like the Skoda thread where you choose the minority, vote a NO without a single post backing the reasoning of the same.

Quote:
And I am quite sure I talked about more facts then all your posts in this thread combined!
So have the others - collectively - who wish to continue the discussion on this accident.

Quote:
Oh darn, *touch wood* never crashed in a car. Far more expensive I agree but the laws of physics (power to weight ratios) of some of the bikes I've had will put many supercars to shame. I dont feel that I need to start a Bike vs Car funda here.
Umm, I don't get what was so difficult to understand in my comment. Irrespective, whether on a bike or in a car, if you have had so many instances of kids cutting you & your crashing to avoid them that you can't even remember, I seriously recommend driving school. Because all of us drive on the same roads and we haven't had so many that we lose count.

Quote:
Your exact post on the supposed attitude benefits that you extend to supercar owners:

Quote:
Heck I like those guys because they are doing something for the racing community, how many of the critics here would devote their time and money for the same. Sure if you're in a exotic you have a right to have a little attitude. But from what I read the guy is a real nice chap. I mean who wouldnt run?
Now, surely you will agree of a lack of corelation between your original post and the most recent one, and the absolute lack of relevance to this thread? Mind you, the dictionary definition on attitude doesn't seem to apply to the post you made either.

Quote:
I never encouraged anyone to run or not run.
Sure, after making a sweeping statement "Who wouldn't run?!!". Clearly indicates what line of thought you would exercise in a similar situation.

Quote:
If you cant have a platform to talk about/ judge your own actions (t-bhp ops, mod actions, any general information about the workings) with backing from facts & truth (real information)
Apples to apples, sport! Moderator activity is ALWAYS discussed in entirety with the person concerned. If a third party wants to know, that is not permissible at the moment. It's like telling an organisation to disclose facts related to a third person. I'd encourage you to use the "Contact us" or the suggestions thread if you have any concerns on the rules & policies of this forum.

And when it comes to standing for the truth, Team-BHP has evolved as the ONLY (mass available) unbiased source of information on the Indian car scene. Backed up with facts & the truth!!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 15:30   #179
BHPian

Quote:
The point you made in the first paragraph seems to have been lost somewhere in the long post. Financial compensation is and always will be secondary - it does not absolve the individual of the wrong that was committed.

If the "rich and well connected" are to be allowed to get away with offenses by paying compensation then only chaos and mayhem will prevail. What is to stop people from running over other people then? Perhaps only the size of their bank balances!

point 1 made in first para is about people who are ciminals and the things they do like murder etc are for profit they should be punished

point 2 Mihir is not a criminal(i think) even though he broke the law by driving at night without headlights etc he didnt kill the milkman intentionaly or for profit like a criminal

i am not supporting mihir why i said its best that he pays off the milkmans family and the auto driver was for the sake of the victims

this is india there is no govt sponsered medical insurance nor there is social security

mihir is out on bail and court case will take years and even if at the end of it hes found guilty and punished and made to give compensation(highly unlikely) who is going to look after the milkmans family till then ? you think the govt or court or police are going to ?no
who is going to pay for the autodrivers treatment he is supposed to be critical.belive me i am a doctor and i have seen how much it costs for medical treatment especially in an icu that to in mumbai it will cost in lakhs per day you think the govt or court or police are going to pay the auto drivers medical bills?who is going to look after his family?

my suggestion for monetory compensation was for helping the victims and not out of pity for Mihir
putting him behind bars for some time(after 5 or 6 years of court litigation) is not going to feed the dead milkmans family or pay the medical bills of the autodriver

Last edited by dockap : 24th May 2009 at 15:35.
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 00:55   #180
BHPian

Quote:
point 1 made in first para is about people who are ciminals and the things they do like murder etc are for profit they should be punished

point 2 Mihir is not a criminal(i think) even though he broke the law by driving at night without headlights etc he didnt kill the milkman intentionaly or for profit like a criminal

i am not supporting mihir why i said its best that he pays off the milkmans family and the auto driver was for the sake of the victims

Whether its profit or a motive, a life lost is a life lost due to either the negligence of the driver and/or intentionally driving a non roadworthy car on public roads.

I am sure had he known his fate in advance he would never have ventured out, nevertheless, in my books apart from what the law states, a life compromised on account of one's excesses is unpardonable.

Driving a non roadworthy car on public roads is a no no and unintentionally killing someone while doing so is tantamount to indirectly taking that poor soul's life.

I would have really enjoyed reading this discussion had it been a political big wig or a cop or a really connected business man at the receiving end in place of the poor cyclist.

All i can say is no amount of money is ever going to console the poor cyclist's family. What if he was to inherit a lot of money, what if he was going to get rich doing what he did, what if he was to do something great for the country. Can you imagine his kid growing up without a father ?
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote