Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: What's your cruising speed??
30-60kmph 5 1.13%
61-80kmph 65 14.74%
81-100kmph 182 41.27%
101-120kmph 140 31.75%
121-140kmph 36 8.16%
141-160kmph 11 2.49%
161-180kmph 1 0.23%
181-200kmph 1 0.23%
201-250kmph 0 0%
251 and above 0 0%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2012, 20:29   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What is a stress free speed of driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Today, I stick to the 80-100 mark and never try to go over that. I rarely listen to the radio since it is mostly crap. I enjoy the music of the engine much more.
+1 to that.

Mid-range at 80-100 kmph for a diesel is where the music from the engine is pleasant.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 21:10   #167
BANNED

Actually if you are a good driver, you tend to automatically optimise your speed to the stress level that you can handle. When I say optimise, the most important factor is the speed at which one doesn't have to apply the brake too often or too hard. It will be a speed that you do not accelerate hard to achieve but one which you gradually arrive to. It will be a speed that allows you to apply a gentle pressure on the brake if needed. The single most important cause of stress would be your reason to apply the brake to avert some situation and the harder you have applied the brake, the more stress it would have caused you as you would have been closer to an untoward incident. So travel at a speed that allows you to apply a gentle pressure on the brake this does not include a panic situation when someone just darts across the road without looking at all, but normal driving situations.

Additionally (1) always keep the mobile on silent. (2) music can take away from your concentration and in fact interfere into your concentration level at very crowded spots where you really need to focus. (3) Keep your car in good condition so that the A/c, engine, clutch and gears work smoothly so that you can drive smoothly and with lower stress. (4) A very important point - if you can afford more than 1 car, keep a used car in which the small bangs do not affect you so much so that you do not have to worry if someone scrapes you slightly and it becomes just another scratch to several others and so it doesn't bother you and your stress level thereby does not go up.(5) The "right" aroma therapy will help. (6) Think of the drive as a computer game where you have people, bikes, buses and other cars coming at you and you have to avoid as many and get to your destination as quickly as possible - you will then sit back relax and enjoy the drive..

On the highways:

It depends on the car you own and its ability to mask speed, give you confidence and makes you comfortable at high speeds. For instance there are cars in which you can travel at 140 and it will not appear as if you are travelling fast whereas in some other cars if you travel at 140 it will feel as if all hell were breaking loose. So in the first car, if you travel at 140 you will feel relaxed but in the other one you certainly wont. Additionally you will also have to apply some of the principles that you use in the city mentioned above.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 21:36   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
There is one particular speed of driving which gives the optimal, stress free drive. Below this you get stressed by the honks of the fellow drivers from behind and people overtaking you from left and right. Above this there is always your foot stepping on the brake, eyes darting left and right and the real fear of squashing someone in the front or hitting a speed breaker without marking or getting the tyre into the ditch at a high speed.
For highways agree fully. You have to go with what I call the 'rhythm of the road'. You can't go very much faster or slower than that with smoothness.

I've found it is approx 10 Kmph faster than the speed maintained by the kamikaze buses. Or better still, slot in behind a Volvo!

My speeds on bikes are much slower. Which is why when riding, I prefer not using the main highways.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 21:43   #169
BHPian

In city conditions you cant really have a stress free speed. It changes constantly depending on the road and traffic. There are times when even at 20 kmph you are under stress when the traffic is really bad.
On the highway I would say around 80kmph. If your driving on a 4 or 6 lane highway one is relatively stress free even when travelling at 100 - 110 kmph. However the car you are driving makes a big difference.
prithvi53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 22:05   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
in city when there is moderate to heavy traffic i am comfortable at 40, When there is very less traffic i would say 50-70.
Exactly the same. I cruise at 50kmph in 5th gear, i downshift to 4th if the speed nears 35kmph. For all other speeds 3rd gear.

Quote:
On the highways with 2 lanes each side i and good barricades i am comfortable at 80-100 depending on which section i am in and the highway manners of others living on either sides of highway.
I had mostly driven on the GQ. Pune - Bangalore. Pune - Delhi 120kmph is the most comfortable speed, at this speed my swift D returns 18kmpl. Occasional bursts to 140kmph which cannot be sustained for longer periods as it requires more concentration.

For more laid back drivers,5th gear and 100kmph on SWIFT D, you cant hear the engine , its as if you are sailing.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 22:12   #171
Senior - BHPian

For me it depends on what car I am driving!

Highways - For WagonR/i10 80KMPH is best speed and for Honda City I can comfortably cruise around 110-120 KMPH but this speed is for very small time as roads in north india are not suitable beyond 100KMPH.

InterCity Traffic - No one can hope for stress free driving in City!

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th May 2012 at 22:16.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 23:24   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving on highways is never a stressful experience for me - any speed! But on a 2-lane highway, I cruise at 80 kmph in the 5th gear and on a 4 or 6 lane highway, I cruise at 100 - 120 kmph.

I get highly stressed out driving between 5 kmph and 20 kmph on our clogged up city roads. I take the NICE road (6 lane ring road) in Bangalore almost everywhere I go - even if I have to travel double the distance.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 00:13   #173
BHPian

As has been already said on this thread stress free driving speed depends upon

1] Road : Whether two lane, 4 lane or six lane and the condition of it.

2] Day or Night

3] The car you are driving . whether a small car, a sedan or an SUV.

4] your own condition, whether you are feeling fresh/jaded.

5] Condition of the vehicle, especially the tires and the general condition of the vehicle.

6] Whether your family is with you or you are driving alone.

So difficult to pin point exactly or say in one figure is difficult but it can range from

40-80 inside the city [ Courtesy Bangalore traffic]

80-140 [ Highway]
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 03:19   #174
BHPian

I find 80-100kmph the most comfortable on the highways. This speed gives me maximum mileage. Once just to test the mileage I went on my TATA safari at constant 80 kmph at night without AC in the Hyd - BLR route and it gave me 16.2 kmpl.

However, I was tired because the constant wind and the dust tires you. So it is best to drive with AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
On Jawahar Lal Expressway (In HYD) where i remember seeing speed limit saying 140. Me going at 120 seemed slow as the highway is elevated and has 4 lanes each side.
Off topic but this has to be corrected. The speed limit on the Hyderabad OTR is 120 KMPH.
Even I have seen the 140 symbol, but that is some other marking because it is in a square board. It is not the speed limit and it is marked in a with a blue square surrounding the 140 number.. Speed limit symbol is usually a number with a red circle around.
himavanth_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 05:10   #175
Senior - BHPian

80 to 100 is an optimum speed for our Indian conditions. I find this gives me max fuel efficiency and peace of mind.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 05:53   #176
BHPian

On a crowded road, the speed that gives me peace of mind is that of all the prevailing traffic. If you go with the flow then you do not feel that the person behind you is tailgating or that the person in front is too slow.

However, when the roads are empty I find that between 80 and 100 gives me the most peace of mind on the highways in our country. Also, the mileage you get is an added bonus. In the city between 60 and 80 is the optimal speed for me.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 06:29   #177
VSD
BHPian

I drive at 40-50 kmph in city traffic at day time and around 70-80kmph at night, also depends on which road i am at. If i am in delhi i try to keep under 70 at all times, which is really difficult (read boring). If i am in Faridabad, i try not to cross 50kmph, the roads are bad and some drivers even worse.

Out on the highways, as soon as i am in the clear, i switch to cruise control and set it to 90kmph, enjoy my family/friend's company, play my music and sit back. All i got to do is brake and then press resume.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 08:09   #178
BHPian

I see many people here suggesting speeds like 80-100 as confortable speeds. These speeds are alien to my car considering I live in a city like Mumbai
It has been probably a month or so now that my car has even been driven in the 5th gear.

Coming back to the topic, I used to get stressed a lot when anyone would cut my way and I had to lower the gear or step on the brake. For me squeezing in tight places and fighting for 'my space' on the road in city traffic was turning out to be very stressful.

Over a period of time I have mastered the skill of giving way and learnt to be a patient driver. I realised that I reach my destination which is 10 KMS away just 5-10 minutes late, but with a smile on my face and in a jolly good mood.

I think I can sacrifice my 5-10 minutes to reach home / office in a good shape of mind.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 19th May 2012 at 08:12.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 08:27   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl
I see many people here suggesting speeds like 80-100 as confortable speeds. These speeds are alien to my car considering I live in a city like Mumbai
It has been probably a month or so now that my car has even been driven in the 5th gear. .
Oh, don't you feel bad about not reaching 100 in Mumbai. I'd be more comfortable not driving in some places in Mumbai-Andheri station for one.
Depends on the road and traffic density I suppose.
Coming back to the question, I know I'm not comfortable over 120 on highways - have to pay too much attention to the road rather than around me. Any time I can't talk to the passengers in the car then I know I'm not comfortable.
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 09:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

I don't what I should attribute it to - being responsible, being aware of Indian road conditions or plain aversion; but, 90 is where I draw the line.

Be it the Mumbai-Pune expressway or one of the better highways up north, I feel I'm in total control up to say 90 km/hr. There's something about the three-digit speeds; once I cross 90 or 100, I begin to get paranoid about abrupt lane changes from other vehicles, someone darting in across the divider etc.

So, up to 90 km/hr is where I'm stress-free.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread