Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th May 2009, 21:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Although the modus operandi has become more sophisticated, NH1 was never safe at night. I've known of robberies and murders on it for at least the last 15 years.
I studiously avoid driving on it at night, it's unsafe both from a crime point of view and road safety, especially because the road become a single carriageway from Ambala to C'garh.
Hi Drear it had been happening in mumbai pune expressway some years back these looters were villagers from nearby places, the modus operandi was they used to spread dry rice on the road and cars going at speeds 150kmph used to statr skid and finally going out of control , now when the car owner stops the car these thugs come and start looting them .Ther was a incident where cheif executive of a compony was stripped to his undergarments when they looted them of almost every thing they had . Finally they were aressted, but even now we sometimes hear about stary incidents. There is a severe patrolling on this 200kms streach. We never take to this route after sunset.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 22:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
NH1 was never safe at night. I've known of robberies and murders on it for at least the last 15 years.
Can you elaborate which part of NH 1 between Delhi - ASR was ever unsafe for private cars. Yes, in between for 2-3 years, the incidents of people travelling (on Delhi byepass - Ambala section) on shared Tata Sumos etc being looted were heard of. But nowadays it is not there anymore.

The only time when we feared to travel in night was during terrorism era in Punjab.

Last edited by breezydrive : 28th May 2009 at 22:45.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 09:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

This has become a hot topic here in this region

Delhi-chandigarh stretch is complete 4 lane now.

and I use this route from ambala to chandigarh 2-3 times a week and sometimes at odd hours
damn i am skeptical now and would prefer using the highway only during the day.

i am cautious driver(everyone here is),but how can we avoid falling into such a situation.?
Years ago,we were chased by a mahindra jeep on NH1 but then we(my friends) were in a OHC,just pressed the throttle and we zoomed off.
but how to avoid such situations?
i cant think of any way to escape such a situation,when 2-3 cars try to hit your car or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Can you elaborate which part of NH 1 between Delhi - ASR was ever unsafe for private cars. Yes, in between for 2-3 years, the incidents of people travelling (on Delhi byepass - Ambala section) on shared Tata Sumos etc being looted were heard of. But nowadays it is not there anymore.

The only time when we feared to travel in night was during terrorism era in Punjab.
stretch from ambala to ludhiana was considered to be unsafe few years ago,i am not sure for now

but two of our family friends were robbed on this stretch few years ago at night,and they were cheated by rolling an object under the car,and the driver used to stop to check if anything gone wrong,and then they used to overpower and rob them

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th May 2009 at 09:45. Reason: Back to back posts within 15 minutes
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 09:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think most these robberies gets the planning at break points and dhabas, where they observe the target, and judge the comfort to rob.

I generally remain low profile on my halts.

But from now on, I will avoid night drives as well. Anyways night drives puts most of strain on me as I drive wearing glasses.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 10:50   #20
BHPian

I have been reading this highway robbery stories.
This recent one, is said to be done by the same people who earlier (1-2 months ago), abducted a local politician from Chandigarh (Panchkula) traveling in E-Class. They later abandoned the car somewhere near Baddi (Himachal). I huess, its hard to get away with a stolen E-Class.
This robbery was done in the same fashion.

Its really getting scary.

Last edited by SumitBahl : 29th May 2009 at 10:51.
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 12:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I am wondering what can be done if a innova comes and tries to force you off the road, and another car comes and tries to block your escape route.
Go destruction derby on them with your safari, man.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 15:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

Breezy, you yourself have given some examples from 2-3 years back. The thread is about two recent incidents and some others have chimed in. Fact of the matter is they may be stray incidents but they happen regularly and you never know when you are going to be the unlucky one. I have a lot of family in those parts and as a general precaution they avoid driving on it in the wee hours. Hence my statement that it has been unsafe at night for a while.
StarScream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 15:51   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well i use this highway 3 times a week and sometime at odd hours.(after 11 at night).Its a beautiful highway with clear markings .Also there are regualr highway patrol vehicles plying on the road.This incident was a well plan one and not a run of the mill random thing.Unfortunate that it happened and i am amazed at the guts of these robberers.Anyways I had a word with a very senior person in haryana government as well as with a NHAI official and they were of the opinion that the patrolling will be intensified from now on.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 05:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

An Update
the gang was busted by cops long ago.
and the stretch is again safe as it used to be,and no incidents have been reported in recent past.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 10:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Highway robbery comes to NH1 now

UP, Bihar top in crimes on national highways.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/41397759.cms
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 14:45   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Highway robbery comes to NH1 now

During the weekend, I visited my hometown and came to know about it.

A company car (Swift) had to come to highway in Kundli Industrial Area (Singhu/Kundli Border) which is just adjacent to Delhi. It had come to pick up some company guests or employees which were supposed to arrive late in the night.

While waiting, this car was robbed on a gun point from NH1 itself and the driver was thrown out somewhere near Rasoi Dhaba (just where Kundli ends).

While in Gurgaon, there is nothing extraordinary about it - cars keep getting robbed on gunpoint from the mall mile itself; it has caused a great degree of shock in the Sonepat and surrounding areas.

That all being said, all of these roads still safe for late night travel in general. Irrespective whatever NH10 makes you to believe.

I suggest for late night/early morning travellers of this road not to casually halt before Murthal Dhabas, until it is figured out whether it's a general trend or just a specific gang or something.

Some thinking aloud:

These is definitely unusual because I have never heard of these things.

I have one more anecdotal incident of Murthal Flyover where in a movie like scene, gun wielding bad guys were chasing some other bad guys in broad daylight. This was some two years back.

Whatever is the cultural shift has happened in my area is clearly beyond my comprehension. I have come to know about easy availability of drugs on highway dhabas and petrol bunks with police protection (Punjab Model).
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote