Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th June 2009, 19:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default New Pride of Mumbai : Bandra-Worli Sea Link : Post your experience here

Hi Mumbai

I was a mumbaikar till last year, was eagerly waiting for this sea link.
now it has been thrown open for commuting
Eventhough the toll is hefty (RS 50 for cars one way, RS 75 bothway), it gives a different experience to people as well as saves time

I am creating this thread to collect the experience of Mumbaikars (as well as visitors) of travelling over this sea link bridge. Be liberal and post the photographs of the bridge, from the bridge.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 30th June 2009 at 19:39. Reason: spelling mistake corrected, some more details added
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 04:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VT* View Post
Finally, The Sea Link is now open!
Any exclusive pics anyone?

VT
NOPE not open yet just some hours to go 7 am in the morning it will open. ill be there for sure will click pics and post em. how to know your back in india stand in crazy traffic only to reach the end and be told by havaldar bridge is closed.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2009 at 12:00. Reason: b = be. Please avoid SMS language and type in full words as per the Team-BHP rules. Thanks.
irulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 09:49   #33
BHPian

I work near Lilavati, and thought I'd take the sealink this morning just to check it out on my way to work from Thane. Unfortunately, the bumper to bumper snarl leading up to the toll booth discouraged me, I found the nearest U turn and took it back to Bandra. Traffic on the bridge also looked packed, not a good time to check it out, perhaps later tonight I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 10:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Sir, I don't think you need to take the U shaped bridge via telephone exchange. As per road rules, all exits need to be on the left of the road, and in this spirit, the bandra promenade road would be opened for traffic wanting to use the sealink entry road and take a left before the bridge (where you now take a sharp right), go via the promenade under the sealink entry road towards bandra reclamation bus depot, then find your way towards Bandra West via Mehboob studio or the smaller lanes around the Lilavati area. In the same way, traffic from Worli who want to enter Bandra West would take a left after the bridge ends and merge with the promenade to reach Reclamation bus depot and Lilavati. As these approaches are new, I hope traffic cops set up signs/personnel to direct traffic.

Cheers
I'd like to apologise for some mistakes in the above post. I'd heard wrong about the exits on the Bandra side of the sealink while driving from Kala Nagar. This morning, I noticed that the right most lane of the sealink entry road has been retained for traffic that needs to enter Bandra Reclamation while coming from Kala Nagar. The Left exit is not an exit at all! Its in fact a one-way road for traffic coming via the promenade under the sealink entry to join the sealink entry lanes towards the bridge itself. So people, if you want to use the Reclamation flyover to get to Reclamation, stick to the right lane and you'll be fine. If you stick to the left, you're gonna have to cut your way to the right and if you overshoot the exit, you can drive towards the bridge toll booth and take a U turn at any convenient point there. Which is what I had to do. Traffic leading to the toll booth is crazy this morning, and promises to be the same throughout the "free" period. I'd advise a sealink trip during afternoon/late night hours, to avoid the snarl.

For clarity:
From Kala Nagar to sealink: Right most lane can exit before the bridge to Bandra Reclamation as usual. All other lanes lead up to the toll booth. U-turns are possible before the toll booth as there are no dividers, only Mumbai traffic police road blocks. There is no possibility of a left U-turn before the bridge to enter the promenade, this is a one-way in the opposite direction.
Whoosh...that was tricky. I need a coffee!

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 10:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

There was a proposal to open the Sea Link at the hands of the families of the Martyrs of the Mumbai Attack last year. But the big bosses had to be impressed. So was turned down.

Amazing pictures and it looks really magnificient. A drive down the link added to my To Do list.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 10:31   #36
Team-BHP Support

slightly OT:

But relevant as we should not forget its cost to the environment.

Yesterday on TV, there was a programme on the Mega floods that hit Mumbai some years
back.
The then under construction sea link was blamed for having constricted the mouth of the river. Thereby preventing the drainage of the water.

Other reasons included the heavy concretisation of the entire area preventing water seepage and hence putting a load on the storm water drainage system.

Of course the prime reason remains the changes done to the rivers course.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 10:34   #37
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
slightly OT:

But relevant as we should not forget its cost to the environment.

Yesterday on TV, there was a programme on the Mega floods that hit Mumbai some years
back.
The then under construction sea link was blamed for having constricted the mouth of the river. Thereby preventing the drainage of the water.
I caught this program too on the National Geographic Channel. It was ironical that they aired the program on the day the link was inagurated.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 21:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

So I spent most of my morning and evening looking at bumper-to-bumper traffic out my window. It's a dud, folks. Atleast till the toll is implemented, avoid it. Or go at 3am if you really want a drive for kicks.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 21:51   #39
BHPian

I was one of the very first persons (probably the first BHPian) to enter the sealink after it was officially opened today. The bridge was virtually empty in the morning and the trip was great. However, when I went for yet another (!) joyride in the afternoon, there was a huge bottleneck jam at both ends. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
And why only two lanes on either side? Why not three? Why not plan for the future?
There will be FOUR lanes on either sides after the bridge is completely functional by December 2009.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 1st July 2009 at 21:54.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Mumbai

I was a mumbaikar till last year, was eagerly waiting for this sea link.
now it has been thrown open for commuting
Eventhough the toll is hefty (RS 50 for cars one way, RS 75 bothway), it gives a different experience to people as well as saves time

I am creating this thread to collect the experience of Mumbaikars (as well as visitors) of travelling over this sea link bridge. Be liberal and post the photographs of the bridge, from the bridge.
I was a Mumbaikar till last year too. Now Bangalorean like you. I cant wait to see this marvel when I visit Mumbai this weekend. I love Aamchi Mumbai.. Jai HO!!!
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
There was a jam on the first day since there are no toll fees collected till the 5th of this month. After that traffic will ease out it seems.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:47   #42
BHPian

Despite all glam-sham and other things, why did they have to name it again on a new-age congress icon, "Rajeev Gandhi". I'm sure Maharashtra is not lacking icons other than Tilak and Shivaji; then why again a Gandhi family icon.

Amongst other things, I do intend to check this new thing in town soon sometime.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Despite all glam-sham and other things, why did they have to name it again on a new-age congress icon, "Rajeev Gandhi". I'm sure Maharashtra is not lacking icons other than Tilak and Shivaji; then why again a Gandhi family icon.
Isn't it obvious ? They want to let people know in whose regime the super structure was built and take credit in the next state/general elections. If later on someone else wins elections, a simple name change will re write history books.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 23:57   #44
BHPian

Friends it was a complete mess on day one. I guess this will continue till sunday as upto that is toll free period. Some images of today's bumper to bumper traffic on BW SeaLink (courtesy: India News, Cricket, Videos, Movies, Stocks, Bollywood, Shopping : Rediff.com). I'm going on this saturday/sunday, want to make a video of the whole journey. Will post more images on sunday.
Attached Images

Last edited by gaddiwale : 2nd July 2009 at 00:01.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
are you trying to say it should have been named after a local (Maharashtra) figure?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote