Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th June 2005, 11:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Pulled over for speeding at 53km/h !!!

Hey guys,

On Sunday afternoon my family and i were heading towards bandra. My sister has just learnt how to drive (lord have mercy) so she was at the wheel and my father was sitting beside her.

As we go up one of the lower parel flyovers my father tells my sister to move over to the left lane because she is driving pretty slow ~50km/h (still learning).
Just after she switches lanes and we are up on the bridge, this very excited cop jumps out in front of us with a radar gun and waves frantically to stop the car.

He shows us the radar gun and it reads 53km/h....

My dad is just like WTF?? and starts laughing.
Cant really blame them because they are just doing their job, and we were technically above the speed limit. Its just the stupidity of the whole situation, as well as speed limits in certain places thats ridiculous.

Apparently the speed limit on the bridge is 40 or 50km/h depending on which part of the bridge ?!?!....

Either way, i found it pretty ridiculous that we were pulled over for doing 53 km/h ....im just glad my sister was driving, because who knows what we wld have been doing if i was driving

So just wanted to warn you guys about this......keep your eyes open.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the Merc rams into horsecart on bridge (Accident : Merc rams into horse cart) story?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th June 2005 at 11:47.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 12:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

The speedlimits are just put up there to fill the cop's coffers. I mean 40kmph on those roads! The whole reason behind the overpasses were to increase the speed of traffic flow on those roads, and then they go slap an unrealistic speed limit!

Reminds me of the cops on my way to work everyday. They hide around a corner waiting to catch that one unsuspecting driver who fails to brake intime when the light turns off. But, the cops refuse to do anyting about the trafficjam ahead caused by taxi's parked all over the road. Just pisses the hell outa me!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 13:17   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

The month is ending, remember ? They have targets to meet
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 13:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

so was your sister charged /challaned ?

i thought they challan you only when your doing 10 kays more than the given speed limit ...
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 14:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Time to get a radar detector, basic ones cost 40$ in USofA
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Time to get a radar detector, basic ones cost 40$ in USofA
no point in delhi dude ..

they have the cameras setup at most places ..no more cops hiding behind the bushes on the divders ... and you cant even bribe your way out anymore ..since they cant erase the camera recording ...

i got a ticket for 400 bucks for overpeeding .. the best way to escape is turn on your headlamps in those areas so that the camera cant read your number plate ...
Old 20th June 2005, 15:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Why no point then? the radar detector will start beeping a good 1/2km before the radar. So all you have to do is slow down.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 18:00   #8
BHPian

i was driving from vashi towards town and on the mankhurd flyover towards chembur and was driving on the left of the road. then i see a cop with a radar gun as if he is waiting with a gun to shoot me. immediately my eyes went on my speedo. guess what i was between 55 and 58, i mean to say that not very far from 60. luckily i was saved and i have learnt a lesson, to be very cautious on the flyovers.

shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 19:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Why no point then? the radar detector will start beeping a good 1/2km before the radar. So all you have to do is slow down.
no dude ... they dont have speed guns ..inteads they have cameras which records cars going above the set speed limit ..that way it was can record 5 cars travelling above the speed limit at one time ...overspeeding car is monitored by the Patrol unit a bit far away ... so if u dont stop then you are charged with 1000Rs. ticket for which is sent to the owner of the car ... or else you stop and pay off 400 bucks right there and get the receipt ...

hence the only way to escape it is to have your headlights on so that the camera can read the number ...

they have this kinda system in UK and North America ..it has just been introduced here ...
Old 20th June 2005, 21:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks like ur sis had a good start
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 23:24   #11
BHPian

The most beutiful thing I saw was in California.... I was driving on an inner road and there was this big signboard ahead........ Speed Limit 40 MPH. Your speed 43 MPH.......... No better way to make ppl slow down!
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 23:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

.... i would infact feel scared to drive at 50 on that fly over as everyone is well above that speed...the fear of getting hit from the rear would make me drive faster.......i have done 150 at times on that flyover at night but i guess at that speed the cops wouldnt bother trying to catch me....they probably look out for people who are faster than the speed limit but yet within their reach to catch up to.

Last edited by Sahil : 20th June 2005 at 23:31.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2005, 00:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dude turbo...how do the cops know whose pic to take? They have to know how X car is above the speed limit. For that, they must surely be using radar guns...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2005, 03:11   #14
BHPian

Default u guys r lucky

Hi,

u guys r lucky in india since only thing u have to do is pay fine.
Here in USA, speeding tkts go into your driving record and stay
on it for 6 years and your car insurance goes up and stays up
for 6 years.
I recently got a $250 speeding tkt for drivng 90mph in 65mph highway .
Unmarked police car was on my back. insurance will go up at time
of renewal.
In India, it is easy just pay fine and go.

rawnak
rawnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2005, 03:32   #15
BHPian

Default speed limits .. one of my pet peeves

hi guys ..
the topic of speed limits is one of my pet peeves .. as mentioned earlier by rehaan the speed limits here are completely un-realistic .. the reason for constructing new flyovers and broader roads is to enable the smoother and faster flow of traffic .. and then these fools go and slap on some completely stupid speed limit and slow all the traffic right back down .. the expressway is a case in point .. the company that constructed it posted a safe speed limit of 120 kmph .. obviously that was what was considered safe when in fact the road can easily support much higher speeds .. then just because some well connected people had accidents that caused publicity the authorities went and slapped on a limit of 80 kmph .. no one bothered to see the condition of the vehicles involved in the accidents or the state of their tyres or whether their drivers were actually ever exposed to such high speeds before .. i've read an article where in studies conducted on this topic abroad it has been conclusively proven that drivers are more likely to obey a realistic speed limit than an unrealistic one .. and while on the subject of the flyover in question i almost got caught there myself .. i was on my pulsar and hit the brakes the moment i saw them .. he was aiming at me with all his might but i think i managed to just get under the limit before he clocked me .. saw the look of dissappointment on his face .. and there was this other time at about 4 in the morning when i was going back home in my esteem from the new sea link at Bandra reclamation .. i was taking it easy and was doing 90 and when i reached the end and took the u -turn a cop on a bike who was on the opposite side of the road stopped me and told me that i was speeding .. i played innocent and pretended that i had'nt realised since it was such a huge road and i was'nt looking at the speedometer .. he let me off with a warning "aapli mumbai madhe gaadi itke fast chalat nahi" .. i was just thinking .. should i tell him that it's a darn 4 lane road with nary a person in sight or should i mention that i had decided to take it easy that night and that's why i was doing only 90 ... heh heh .. i just said sorry and thank u and went on .. just makes u think of the mindset and the attitude does'nt it ..
cheers
revvhed

Last edited by revvhed : 21st June 2005 at 03:37.
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote