Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 29th July 2009, 13:46   #16
BHPian

I would love if the tailing car just doesnt put on the headlight beam.

And yes, a good tailing also would increase the FE for the tailing car ..
Old 29th July 2009, 13:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I have seen/ practiced this in the Ghat stretches- Ooty or Kodaikanal. These roads are pretty narrow, and u cannot overtake a slow moving lorry or bus unless he makes sure its safe, and gives you way- thats when this "Thank you" honk comes in
I second that, this kind of behaviour is very common in ooty. You do a double honk for a thank you and the other person responds back with a honk. For an oncoming vehicle giving you the right of way, you give a honk and a wave as you pass by. Me being from ooty, this is a very well understood gesture and i follow the same in bangalore too but somehow most often i dont get the acknowledgement back. We
Old 29th July 2009, 14:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

OT. In the ghats especially during fog, it is sometimes not a great idea to tail any vehicle.
Good sense of intuition, fog lamps and driving at the right speed on low beam is the the right approach.
Its best to have a minimum of 15 feet distance from the leading vehicle. There was an instance of a maxi cab following another maxi cab on the Sigur ghats and both plunged down a cliff.

In my honest opinion, tailgating drivers are a nuisance at times. I have noticed the same while driving up the Mettupalayam-Coonoor ghats. I use these ghats a minimum of two times a week and know the corners and the best places to overtake like the back of my hand. Some drivers stick behind you on high beam and come dangerously close to you to maintain your same speed only reason being they do not want to loose you.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:14   #19
BHPian

The leading car driver may not really be interested in thanks of any kind. And he may not appreciate people honking, or flashing, or putting on hazards or even tailgating.

Now, if there was a way to signal "please overtake me", that would really be great.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

When I drove to Hyderabad - there was a Tavera that I latched onto as a lead car and he was latched onto a Scorpio. Both were driving in sync and smoothly at 70-80 kmph. We drove like that for about 120 kms and it was the most stress free night driving I have ever done.

Later the Tavera and Scorpio stopped by the side and I realised they were travelling to-gather. I waved out to the driver of the Tavera and got a wave in return. Felt good.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I waved out to the driver of the Tavera and got a wave in return. Felt good.
Wow! Thats always a nice feeling.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:51   #22

Once I myself slipstreamed behind a Mitsu Lancer on my way back to Trivandrum from Chalakkudy..
Believe me it took only three hours for us to cover that 240 km stretch, which otherwise would have taken at least 5 hours if not more.. Ah btw, it was a night time drive..
Old 24th August 2009, 15:38   #23
BHPian

I too have found tailgateing to be a real comfort while night driving. However maintain sufficient distance is very important, as a little lack of awareness (due to tailgating) can be dangerous.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:51   #24

prince_pervez@..

Bendakaluru.. Not many refer bangalore with its original name. these days..yeah?
Old 14th February 2011, 19:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I second that, this kind of behaviour is very common in ooty. You do a double honk for a thank you and the other person responds back with a honk. For an oncoming vehicle giving you the right of way, you give a honk and a wave as you pass by. Me being from ooty, this is a very well understood gesture and i follow the same in bangalore too but somehow most often i dont get the acknowledgement back. We
Yeah saw that "Thank You" Honk even in California during my drive to the Redwood National Park. A vehicle was tailing us for a long time. Finally when we moved to the shoulder of the road for a break, the tailer passed away with a "Thank You" Horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
I would love if the tailing car just doesnt put on the headlight beam.

And yes, a good tailing also would increase the FE for the tailing car ..

Thats the minimal ettiqutte that a tailer should follow. I do make it a point to move down to low beam so that the driver of Leading Vehicle doesnt feel uncomfortable.

Not sure how good tailing would increase FE of the car..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th February 2011 at 21:46. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 20:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How do you thank the "Leading Car" driver at night?

It happened about more then 10 years back .
I was returning from Aurangabad, I started from the City ST bus depot after dinner.
Suddenly I saw a ST bus with MUMBAI via AHEMED NAGAR written on it, I waved the driver to stop and told him that I will be following him throughout in my Esteem, he was surprised as well as amused and said that your car can go faster then me, but I told him I WILL FOLLOW YOU.

Now after we left the city behind he started going at steady speed of 60 to 70 kms/hr Ikept distance of about 40 feet and kept following him
til pune, at pune he entered the depot, I parked outside the depot and went inside to have tea with him, we spoke to each other , it was almost 4 am.
At that time he said that I am first person in his driving careear who came to thank me for just being behind his bus. He told this to other drivers around and all looked at me smilingly.

Finnally it was daybreak and at kALOMBOLI circle I overtook him and flashed my hazard lights with my arm out I waved him good buy ,he in return flashed his head lights in responce. Regards
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 20:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

More than thanking, lets return the favour by being good "pilot drivers" - signals, right of way - the whole road manners thing
Old 16th February 2011, 11:25   #28
BHPian

Very interesting thread
Even I have availed the services of a lead car during night drives, but havent been able to thank the driver.
cheers too all of them who have played that role
Old 16th February 2011, 12:24   #29
BHPian

Tailing makes night driving stress free. I have tailed both cars and buses, keeping a safe distance though, but my co-passengers could never understand this concept. Feels good to read a thread on the same and to know that many others have the same opinion.
I have tailed buses on the rishikesh-delhi route many a times and and they do average speeds of 80-90. Benefits - I am protected from the glare of highbeams of oncomming traffic; smaller, slow moving vehicles give way without a fuss, of course the road undualtions & broken patches become easy to maneuver. And ya, I prefer volvos. lol!! .
I always keep a safe distance to make sure that I dont make the leading driver uncomfortable.
Once we tailed a 5speed 800 in a zen, man that guy was literally flying low, constant speeds of 100, 100+, avoiding all the broken patches, it seemed he knew the route well. we save a lot of time thanks to him. But unfortunately i havent been able to thank anyone till now, but will make sure I do so from now on.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

This has happened to me as well quite often, and I have been in both situations. More than anything, it also offers a sense of comfort.

But at times, I am a bit more comfortable when this happens during the day, as at night, it is scary as well. For instance, the person in front or if I am being followed, may seem that you are being followed by some possible vandals. Quite often, it has happened that, i slow down to let the person pass or someone takes a sudden random stop to let me pass by and observe if there is something fishy

So, it works at times, and we need to be cautious at times as well. Instead of a thumb, we dont want someone sticking up a knife or gun out of their window.

I enjoyed one drive, when we were going to, I guess Jaipur or maybe Chandigarh, when there were 3 cars, all driving at the same speed for quite some distance, all families. When we stopped later for some chai, all the others alos stopped and we started on a conversation ;-)
Closed Thread