Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th July 2013, 21:47   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Taking the Udyog Vihar exit off NH-8 was a pain at 8:40 AM today. Reason: Left turning traffic at Ambience Mall , was restricted due to Kavariya movement. Hence a huge back-up resulted, mainly due to impatient drivers deciding to block the right side lanes at the exit in the hope of a quick get-away (the ubiquitious hour-glass pattern of vehicles at any turn on any Indian road)

Patience paid off, after about 10 minutes of crawling at < 5 kmph, was finally over the offending stretch. From that point to Cyber City did not take as much time as usual - probably because most of the traffic was still stuck somewhere between the Toll Gate and Ambience Mall.

Lesson Learnt: Take MG road this week (and next)
Hi Joy, another thing you can do is leave early for office at least half an hour before (if you can). I take the same route coming from Dwarka heading to cyber city in DLF phase II. Usually leaving at 7:30-7:45 am and reach office in half an hour as less of traffic and Kavariyas cavalcade don't bother at that time. Also today was Monday when usually traffic is high in the Morning.
saurabhdadhichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 23:05   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi: Kavariyas or 'Protected' Hooligans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Very harsh mate! I think we need to be a little considerate towards our fellow beings
I can pick up on that:

Right here, right now I proclaim a new religion: ‘The Wheel of Life’

Honoring the twin gods: ‘Safety’ and ‘Rationality’

This religion is based on kindness to your fellow road user, safety of all and transcendence by trackdays.

Its holy tenets are:
1. Always treat your fellow traveler as you wish to be treated yourself.
2. Never gamble the life or limb of any stranger, your family or yourself.
3. Follow the traffic rules at all times.
4. Keep your vehicles in the best mechanical shape possible. It is a sin to drive a vehicle you know to be deficient in safety.
5. Never lose your temper at the wheel. If you come close to it, breathe deeply and chant the prayer of radiators twice.
6. Never lose the opportunity to do charity by helping stranded or injured travelers you come across.
7. It is a mortal sin to command the vehicle when intoxicated.
8. Rationality and logic shall always supersede any illogical ‘common’ practice you come across.
9. Everyone should strive to do a pilgrimage at least once a year to any racetrack or course to improve your skills and achieve transcendence.
10. The ultimate goal of the religion is to have a safe, rational and enlightened society with good roads and a racetrack in every major city.

We pledge to strive to achieve these goals under the nonexistent guidance of the not-so-great teacher, the very brainy: Braindead .

This said, we demand the same level of respect and deference afforded to any other religion. We will frown upon anyone who hinders us in our mission and strive to bring the irreverent person to the halls of justice.

cheers

Mod Note : Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

(Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post)Click here to know how to remove FONT Tags from your post (Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post).

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th July 2013 at 14:01.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 23:31   #108
BHPian

Angry Re: Delhi: Kavariyas or 'Protected' Hooligans!

So i had a close shave with these so called "Kavariyas". I was going to karol bagh and was at the pusa road round about ( near hanuman temple ). Now the temple administration has made some arrangements for the kavariyas. A huge tent has been put up just at the corner of the round about. Because of this, there is a huge traffic jam all the time.

Now as i was on the way, i was stuck in the same traffic and just when i got near the round about, i was stuck behind a bus. There was no where to go. Suddenly i heard a loud music playing and saw a truck coming from behind with full of Kavariyas. Suddenly someone knocked on the passenger side window and the said person ( also a Kavariya ) told me to move forward. I told him i cannot as there was no space at all but he would just not listen. And then it happened. Another Kavariya came and started banging the car's rear end with his had. I was furious but then i saw these people were carrying hockey sticks with them. Sense prevailed and i squeezed my nano into the the further traffic. I felt so horrible . I ( we ) love our cars so much and my nano is scratch less from the past one year and all of a sudden , some random idiot starts banging on my car.

I have even seen these people riding triples on bikes without helmets and disturbing the hell out of people and especially stray animals. Such people should be given some kind of serious punishment.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 10:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

I did see a large number of Kaavariya shelters being taken down... does that mean that the Kaavariya onslaught on our fair city is finally over .... for this year !
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 10:27   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I did see a large number of Kaavariya shelters being taken down... does that mean that the Kaavariya onslaught on our fair city is finally over .... for this year !
Yes, the nightmare is over. It actually ended on Sunday but they were returning home with the holy water yesterday, which is why there was unbridled chaos all over.

There were some heroes who were having video films made of their exploits as well
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 20:40   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

It's that time of the year again. Delhi Traffic Police put up this advisory on Facebook:
Quote:
TRAFFIC ADVISORY
MOVEMENT OF KANWARIAS
Every year, during the Hindu lunar month of “Sravana”, Kanwarias travel on-foot from “Gau Mukh”, Gangotri Dham via Haridwar carrying holy “Ganga Jal” for offering the same at Shiva Temples on “Sawan Shivaratri”. This year the “Sawan Shivaratri” shall fall on 25.07.2014. The Kanwarias, destined for Delhi and cities in Haryana and Rajasthan have started coming to Delhi on foot and their movement has started increasing which shall continue till 25.07.2014.
The routes of the Kanwarias through Delhi shall be as follows:
Apsara Border – Shahdara Flyover –Seelampur ‘T’ point –ISBT Flyover – Boulevard Road – Rani Jhansi Road –Faiz Road –Upper Ridge Road – Dhaula Kuan –NH-8 and exit from Rajokri Border to enter Haryana.
Bhopra Border –Wazirabad Road –Loni Flyover –Gokulpuri ‘T’ point -66 Foota Road – Seelampur ‘T’ Point –NH-1 and further towards new ISBT Bridge.
Maharajpur Border - Road no. 56. - Ghazipur Border –NH-24 - Ring Road –Mathura Road and exit from Badarpur Border to enter Haryana.
Kalindi Kunj –Mathura Road –Badarpur Border.
Kalindi Kunj –Mathura Road –Modi Mill –Maa Anand Mai Marg – M.B. Road.
Diversion Plan from 19.07.2014 to 25.07.2014:
Heavy commercial transport vehicles will be diverted by UP Police from Mohan Nagar towards NH-24 and no such traffic will be allowed towards Wazirabad Road via Bhopra Border and towards G.T. Road via Apsara Border.
Heavy commercial transport vehicles, except city buses, coming on Road No. 56 towards Apsara Border from ISBT Anand Vihar side will be diverted back towards NH-24 as the same will not be allowed on G.T. Road towards Shahdara.
Heavy commercial transport vehicles, except city buses, coming from GT Karnal Road at Outer Ring Road will be diverted straight towards NH-24 and will not be allowed to move on Wazirabad Road and G.T. Road towards Shahdara.
Heavy commercial transport vehicles, except city buses, coming from Loni Road will be diverted on Wazirabad Road.
Heavy commercial transport vehicles, except city buses, coming from Pushta Road, Sonia Vihar and PTS Wazirabad Pushta will be diverted towards Outer Ring Road via Wazirabad Road to take NH-24.
During movement of Kanwarias and setting up of “Kanwaria Camps” on road sides, problem of traffic congestion/obstruction is experienced at several places. There is heavy congestion on Rani Jhansi Road from Barafkhana Chowk to Fire Station, Boulevard Road and at Azad Market Chowk. Heavy traffic congestion is also observed at Khajuri Chowk, Gokalpuri Flyover, 66 Foota Road, Maujpur Chowk, Babarpur ‘T’ Point, Bhajanpura Chowk, Keshav Chowk and Dharampura ‘T’ Point, Mathura Road. Due to diversion of vehicular traffic, bound for Apsara Border and Maharajpur Border to Ghazipur, by U.P. Police, there will be congestion on NH 24.
Delhi Traffic Police has made elaborate arrangements to segregate the safe movement of Kanwarias and minimize the inconvenience to other road users. Motorists are advised to avoid above mentioned roads from 19.07.2014 to 25.07.2014. Motorists are requested to plan their movement in advance to avoid inconvenience and delays.
(ANIL SHUKLA)
JOINT. COMMISSIONER OF POLICE:
TRAFFIC, DELHI
Do be careful when you pass these folks in your car!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:19   #112
BHPian

These protected hooligans have started causing the road blocks and jams again. Our stupid Govt. supports these loud music playing, rash driving, life threatening tempos on road.
I guess its high time govt should realize that these are no more a religious group of people that deserve such a special treatment. Rather most of them are unemployed/drug addicts who join the gang to get free food/be a part of an obscene mass, have the feel of being important where they are just good for nothing fellows.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:54   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

They even close stretches of major highways to cater to these hooligans. After all SP/BSP think these chaps are their votebank, and know we are not.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 10:54   #114
BHPian

Kanwarias flout traffic rules, endanger lives on NH-8
The Hindu-Jul 24, 2014
A large number of Kanwarias had a free run on the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway on Thursday as they blatantly violated traffic rules putting the ...
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6248599.ece

Uttarakhand bans trishul, spears for Kanwar yatra
Kautilya Singh | Jul 12, 2014, 09.25PM IST
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38272525.cms

U'khand bans kanwarias from tourist spots
Times of India-Jul 21, 2014
DEHRADUN: Police teams from the state capital are being rushed to Haridwar and Pauri districts to ensure additional security in anticipation of a In view of the steep increase in the number of pilgrims participating in the ongoing Kanwar yatra in Uttrakhand, instructions have been issued to police chiefs in all districts to ensure that the "kanwarias" do not divert from their main route and keep away from places of tourist importance.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38813877.cms

Three 'kanwarias' die in accident in Lucknow
http://zeenews.india.com/news/uttar-...ow_949341.html
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 19:34   #115
BHPian

Adding one more, in the news today-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...horn-them.html
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 11:03   #116
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
They even close stretches of major highways to cater to these hooligans. After all SP/BSP think these chaps are their votebank, and know we are not.
I suffered this while going from Delhi to Binsar on Saturday. One part of the carriageway was completely empty for these hooligans to make merry while the traffic huffed and puffed on the other.
This, even though the yatra was over on Friday as per my information.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:37   #117
BHPian

Default Some more 'Religious' Hooligans!

Just when the Kavariyas menace had gotten over & Ganesh visarjan was done, we have a new set of religious hooligans on roads. They had banners of something like 'Akhand Jyoti Sang'.

Saw today a lot tempos, tractor trolleys with REALLY HUGE set of speakers parked right in the middle of the road with inebriated people dancing on the road like crazy. Many of these 'religious people' were literally not able to even stand straight.
There is a narrow two lane road in Kalindi Kunj area, where even a slightest of disruption causes long traffic queues stretching over 2 hours in duration.
And one of these lot was dancing right on this very narrow stretch. Wanted to take a snap, but that would have increased the congestion further.

No cops even dare to ask these people to move forward, to leave the road, to create space for the traffic.

I am afraid Winston Churchill was right after all. India is being ruled by the goons & we middle class people will soon have to pay taxes for Air & Water to support these goons.

Last edited by ank.nsit : 23rd September 2014 at 09:38.
ank.nsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 17:18   #118
BHPian

Default Re: Some more 'Religious' Hooligans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Just when the Kavariyas menace had gotten over & Ganesh visarjan was done, we have a new set of religious hooligans on roads. They had banners of something like 'Akhand Jyoti Sang'.

Saw today a lot tempos, tractor trolleys with REALLY HUGE set of speakers parked right in the middle of the road with inebriated people dancing on the road like crazy. Many of these 'religious people' were literally not able to even stand straight.
There is a narrow two lane road in Kalindi Kunj area, where even a slightest of disruption causes long traffic queues stretching over 2 hours in duration.
And one of these lot was dancing right on this very narrow stretch. Wanted to take a snap, but that would have increased the congestion further.

No cops even dare to ask these people to move forward, to leave the road, to create space for the traffic.

I am afraid Winston Churchill was right after all. India is being ruled by the goons & we middle class people will soon have to pay taxes for Air & Water to support these goons.
They were playing all latest film songs sunny leone fame " baby Doll" and many more.
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 12:53   #119
BHPian

Angry Re: Delhi: Kavariyas or 'Protected' Hooligans!

It's Kanwariya season again.

Than means people in Delhi and those travelling on the highway up to Haridwar will have to jostle for space with unruly bikers and LCVs/ Trucks brimming with kanwariyas. Last year the NH8 was choc-a-block with kanwariyas on all modes of transport, weaving in and out of traffic, triple riding on bikes without helmets and in general making life difficult for fellow road users. I did not see a single Kanwariya being booked for riding without a helmet or flouting traffic rules. Is Delhi police afraid of booking them? Does a different set of rules apply for these rule breakers? In the report published in TOI and reproduced below, Uttarakhand police seems to be gearing up to put a curb on this menace. I hope Delhi police takes note of this.

Quote:
Kanwarias can’t carry hockey sticks, trishul, lathis this ‘Shravan’

DEHRADUN: To prevent any incident of violence during the upcoming Kanwar yatra, police brass of Delhi, Uttarakhand, UP, Himachal and Haryana have decided to ban the use of hockey sticks, lathis, trishul and loud music by the pilgrims. Besides, yatris will have to follow traffic rules and those on motorcycles will have to wear helmets, police said.

Over a crore Kanwarias are expected to visit Haridwar to collect water from the Ganga during the holy month of 'Shravan' beginning August 1.

In a high-level meeting at the police headquarters in Dehradun, officials from five states discussed several key aspects related to the yatra, including a separate walking lane for the pilgrims and preventing them from going to tourist spots after taking water from the Ganga.

Playing loud music and the visit of Kanwarias to tourist spots have led to incidents of violence in the past. Keeping this in mind, the police have decided that the yatris would not be allowed to play loud music and stray from the permitted route. In Haridwar, a separate walking lane is being demarcated to ensure the Kanwarias do not block the flow of traffic on key routes.

"A large number of youth come for the yatra and there is a need to identify the sensitive routes leading to Haridwar, so that additional force can be deployed on such route," DGP B S Sidhu said in the meeting. He pointed out that an advisory would be issued to ensure yatris do not carry the banned articles and follow traffic norms.

UP ADG (law and order) Daljeet Singh Choudhary, Delhi Police JCP Garima Bhatnagar, Karna (Haryana) IG Hanif Qureshi and Uttarakhand ADG (administration) Ram Singh Meena were also present in the meeting.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/47942894.cms

Cheers!
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 14:57   #120
Team-BHP Support

Sigh, it's that time of the year again.

Rains + Kawariya = Leave for work at least 30-45 minutes earlier !
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote