Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 20:32   #286
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

OK, I went for a highway/village roads test drive just now around Sarjapur.

Driving on low beam on dark roads is #^#$ dangerous. Beyond 40-50 kmph, it is asking for trouble.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 21:48   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Driving on low-beam in a non-lit area, even if slow enough to brake in advance, the jolt we get on suddenly seeing a walker or a cyclist appearing out of nowhere, is unpredictable on how we adapt to the situation.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 22:33   #288
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

On unlit highways, I keep on switching between high and low beam. When somebody is approaching from the other direction, I make it a point not to dazzle him/her.

But, I agree its a pain to keep switching between the high and low beam. I have driven on NH17 at night multiple times. Many a times without the high beam, you can't even figure out a 90 degree bend in the road
And NH17 is full of twisties.

Finally taking a stance: I would rather dazzle someone and be ready to get dazzled in return, rather than being dead because I couldn't see a tree right ahead (as the road is turning).
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 23:00   #289
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Finally taking a stance: I would rather dazzle someone and be ready to get dazzled in return, rather than being dead because I couldn't see a tree right ahead (as the road is turning).
Whenever I play the juggler on the dim/bright switch, this is more like what my dad tells. The only difference is towards the last part ''rather than killing a pedestrian or a cyclist". He never dims the high-beam on highways due to this.

He is of the strong opinion that "high-beam does not kill, but low-beam might"! What he means is that, if the oncoming vehicle is temporarily blinded by our high-beam, at the maximum, he slows down or momentarily stops (we do if we are really blinded by the bright light, since we cannot open our eyes), but putting on low-beam is dangerous in low-lit areas as we could kill a cyclist or a pedestrian or ourselves (our impulse works in such a way that we don't usually stop even if we cannot see in the dark, as our eyes are still open). I have been a staunch opponent of his opinion till I had given it a thorough re-thought and experienced that he is right to some extend.

But I do dim the light for each oncoming vehicle, but wont keep too long as to miss anything ahead.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 23:42   #290
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,616
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

First... if you have the road to yourself, no oncoming traffic, and no traffic close in front of you, you should fill that road with as much as light as you can possibly manage. Nobody is saying simply never to use high beams: they have a purpose.

However, talking about the times when we have to drive with others nearby...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Driving on low beam on dark roads is #^#$ dangerous. Beyond 40-50 kmph, it is asking for trouble.
Then drive below 40-50 kmp. If that makes your journey take too long, sorry, but tough!

The conditions dictate the driving: not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
On unlit highways, I keep on switching between high and low beam. When somebody is approaching from the other direction, I make it a point not to dazzle him/her.

But, I agree its a pain to keep switching between the high and low beam. I have driven on NH17 at night multiple times. Many a times without the high beam, you can't even figure out a 90 degree bend in the road
And NH17 is full of twisties.
It's routine. You get as used to it as direction indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
He is of the strong opinion that "high-beam does not kill, but low-beam might"!
High beam can and does kill, when it dazzles.

Quote:
But I do dim the light for each oncoming vehicle, but wont keep too long as to miss anything ahead.
Correct! Use high beam as much as you can without being a pain or danger to oncoming traffic or those in front of you.

There is a common "social" routine on UK motorways/main roads, with no oncoming traffic, or with devider high enough to shield the beam: In a group of two or more cars, the leading car uses high beam; the following cars dip. When a car overtakes, it goes to high beam, the overtaken car dips. That way, the group always has the advantage of the leading car lighting the distance in front, but they are not dazzling each other.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 10:45   #291
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Then drive below 40-50 kmp. If that makes your journey take too long, sorry, but tough!
The conditions dictate the driving: not the other way around.
Some posters talked about driving permanently on low beam, and that it was possible to drive rather fast on low beams (apparently). I just went and tested till what speed I had adequate visibility on low beams on an empty dark road. That was the context. I don't understand why you keep making such 'educational' statements without knowing driver, driving style or context.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 11:46   #292
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

Quote:

There is a common "social" routine on UK motorways/main roads, with no oncoming traffic, or with devider high enough to shield the beam: In a group of two or more cars, the leading car uses high beam; the following cars dip. When a car overtakes, it goes to high beam, the overtaken car dips. That way, the group always has the advantage of the leading car lighting the distance in front, but they are not dazzling each other.
That is common sense, which drivers in this country lack.

It us not possible to drive without using high beams on our highways. But we have to use our common sense and sense of social responsibility by using low beams when a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction or when we are following another vehicle.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:16   #293
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I've always been troubled by high beams on narrow roads :( most of the times they don't even switch to low beam even for second that too after seeing you struggling for visibility. Since the high beams in 2 wheelers are no match for the 4 wheelers, u have absolutely no visibility of objects ahead. Most by cycles don't have reflectors and pot holes/pedestrian/animals on the road doesn't help either! But have to agree that Private cars respond well by switching to low beam but have no luck with cabbies and truck drivers!
write2sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:14   #294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
First... if you have the road to yourself, no oncoming traffic, and no traffic close in front of you, you should fill that road with as much as light as you can possibly manage. Nobody is saying simply never to use high beams: they have a purpose.

However, talking about the times when we have to drive with others nearby...
Then drive below 40-50 kmp. If that makes your journey take too long, sorry, but tough!

The conditions dictate the driving: not the other way around.

It's routine. You get as used to it as direction indicators.

High beam can and does kill, when it dazzles.

Correct! Use high beam as much as you can without being a pain or danger to oncoming traffic or those in front of you.

There is a common "social" routine on UK motorways/main roads, with no oncoming traffic, or with devider high enough to shield the beam: In a group of two or more cars, the leading car uses high beam; the following cars dip. When a car overtakes, it goes to high beam, the overtaken car dips. That way, the group always has the advantage of the leading car lighting the distance in front, but they are not dazzling each other.
you have said well. It is as simple as it gets, don't use high beam when some one is in front! use high beam when no one is in front and it is dark on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
That is common sense, which drivers in this country lack.

It us not possible to drive without using high beams on our highways. But we have to use our common sense and sense of social responsibility by using low beams when a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction or when we are following another vehicle.
And why we are not doing it? even some of us are encouraging to use high beam when others are using it! how is this going help?

in other countries we follow the rule, even if someone else is breaking it. here, we say if you do it, i do it. this way we are not ever going to have cars driven with low beams on our Highways, in our cities, on lanes and streets.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:36   #295
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,616
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Some posters talked about driving permanently on low beam, and that it was possible to drive rather fast on low beams (apparently). I just went and tested till what speed I had adequate visibility on low beams on an empty dark road. That was the context. I don't understand why you keep making such 'educational' statements without knowing driver, driving style or context.
It is a conversation in which you and I are not the only participants. We both agree, and have both stressed that high-beam has an appropriate and necessary use.

Making 'educational statements' is probably just a by-product of being old. Well... a bit old
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:46   #296
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Making 'educational statements' is probably just a by-product of being old. Well... a bit old
Ok saw your profile. Now I can understand. No issues

@write2sankar: long distance truck drivers are usually courteous. The bus drivers and local MUVs seem to have the least sense.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 14:47   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
And why we are not doing it? even some of us are encouraging to use high beam when others are using it! how is this going help?
I do it religiously and in fact ask everyone I know to do the same.

Quote:
in other countries we follow the rule, even if someone else is breaking it. here, we say if you do it, i do it. this way we are not ever going to have cars driven with low beams on our Highways, in our cities, on lanes and streets.
Exactly - I never understood this. Apna Desh hai, kaun kya ukhadega ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 16:41   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,818
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Just back from a trip home. Drivers in M.P. just don't dip their beams, EVER!! To add to my woes, some parts of the higway (the new bypass bits) have excellent reflective signage for night driving, but some are just unmarked twisties. Potentially lethal at night with oncoming high-beams. You'll never know when you went straight from the road into the scenery.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:28   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Like everyone else my car is provided with low-beam and high-beam and also an on-the-fly level selector rotary. I use all of these judiciously. Although I have been toying with the idea of using stock wattage higher efficiency lamps I do continue with the stock lamps. My guess is that one cannot avoid use of high beam in several cases; however, it would be prudent to avoid using high power lamps that blind others and serve no real purpose.
I have had numerous instances of drivers using high-power lamps that are kept on high-beam without the need. For example, the driver behind me is on high beam while we are waiting on the traffic signal. His powerful beam is burning my face via the ORVM, and also blinding me. The guy behind me is the owner of a car thrice as expensive as mine, but his mindset is much cheaper.
Then there is this other example of a very swanky car fitted with lighting gizmoes on the Mumbai expressway. He flashes xenons on me in a continuous staccato. He wants me to give him way, which I am trying to do so but cannot until I pass the huge truck on my left. What impatience and what stupidity! I wonder how can such stupid people afford to buy such expensive toys. If he blinds me he forces me to slow down and make matters worse for himself. Cannot these people understand such plain logic?

Conclusion: High-beam by itself is not as bad as using high-beam with those high-intensity lamps. Scientifically, high power focussed light reduces your visibility of objects outside the focussed range, which could be a worse situation. Everybody knows that the pupils of our eyes adjust to the average brightness hence these intense lights are very dangerous to all.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:08   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Whenever I play the juggler on the dim/bright switch, this is more like what my dad tells. The only difference is towards the last part ''rather than killing a pedestrian or a cyclist". He never dims the high-beam on highways due to this.

He is of the strong opinion that "high-beam does not kill, but low-beam might"! What he means is that, if the oncoming vehicle is temporarily blinded by our high-beam, at the maximum, he slows down or momentarily stops (we do if we are really blinded by the bright light, since we cannot open our eyes), but putting on low-beam is dangerous in low-lit areas as we could kill a cyclist or a pedestrian or ourselves (our impulse works in such a way that we don't usually stop even if we cannot see in the dark, as our eyes are still open). I have been a staunch opponent of his opinion till I had given it a thorough re-thought and experienced that he is right to some extend.

But I do dim the light for each oncoming vehicle, but wont keep too long as to miss anything ahead.
when on highway you have to judge many 100 metres ahead and keep an eye over the road constantly.
one can easily drive on highway by toggling between high and low beam and making sure he sees his path ahead when in high beam then lower again.

if you constantly drive on high beam it has ill effects on vehicles driving ahead of you due to glare in the mirrors and also on the vehicles coming from front.

in the ordeal of so called saving the cyclist you might end up blinding a vehicle coming from front of you either banging on you or someone else.

just because you dont want to knock someone down you high beams will ensure that someone else will knock someone down.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Beam - Help Pls. kuppan Street Experiences 31 14th April 2015 07:44
Is driving with high beam inside city an offence? speedsatya Shifting gears 66 21st April 2010 15:44
High Beam Suddenly Conked Out mobike008 Technical Stuff 22 10th April 2010 10:19
BMW Nightvision & High Beam Assist karthik247 The International Automotive Scene 13 27th February 2010 19:14
Bangalore Police in action:Catches the bikes/cars with high beam on. snaronikar Street Experiences 38 22nd July 2008 11:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks