Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


View Poll Results: Should Jaywalking be considered a traffic offence ?
Yes it a offence but not a serious offence 22 36.67%
Yes it is a serious offence 30 50.00%
No it is not a offence at all 7 11.67%
Not sure 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 19:02   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

I just asked this question to my 7 year old daughter, she told me

"papa, we need to cross the road only at zebra crossings, if we cross at other places, then there might be accident"

if a kid can understand this (trust me i have never told anything to her on road crossings, it seems she has learnt in school), i do not understand why elders can not understand this. or i think elders choose to ignore it.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 19:34   #32
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

What if the zebra crossing is 1KM away, or there is no zebra crossing? What is the guarantee that vehicles will honor zebra crossing?

Till the infrastructure is in place, no point fining jay-walkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
"papa, we need to cross the road only at zebra crossings, if we cross at other places, then there might be accident"
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 19:57   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What if the zebra crossing is 1KM away, or there is no zebra crossing? What is the guarantee that vehicles will honor zebra crossing?

Till the infrastructure is in place, no point fining jay-walkers.
I agree, ofcourse infrastructure need to be in place.

Ideally if Zebra crossing is 1KM away we have to walk that KM and then cross. e.g. if we are in singapore we will take the necessary efforts because we are worried about the punishment.

but in same singapore, in little india area, people walk everywhere
SGP government tolerate it might be because they know "Indian as that only".

it is all in the mind.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 28th July 2009 at 19:58.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 21:27   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

I agree with the fact that it becomes difficult when the Zebra crossings are at a distance. But people should cross only when the traffic has stopped at a signal or due to a signal, and very few vehicles are plying on the road. Then it would be safe for both, the drivers and the general public. Patience is the key here.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 23:00   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I agree with the fact that it becomes difficult when the Zebra crossings are at a distance. But people should cross only when the traffic has stopped at a signal or due to a signal, and very few vehicles are plying on the road. Then it would be safe for both, the drivers and the general public. Patience is the key here.
While posting on T-BHP we are not just vehicle drivers but also pedestrians most of the time
Before we discuss virtues of patience while crossing road any further
Please try to cross road in front of Forum mall despite traffic signal and traffic police to regulate car drivers inch forward as if their sole purpose in life is to nibble foot of pedestians.

Similarly the pedestrian signal at MG road in front of Raheja tower ( when it was functional eons ago) used to turn green exactly for 2 seconds and even a good sprinter can not cross that road with in 2 seconds.

In fact even bylanes of residential areas are not safe to walk and patience would mean waiting forever.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 08:56   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
On second thought I feel sorry for people in areas like Dairy circle, Christ College where people have to risk their lives to cross. There is simply no respite as far as incessant traffic is concerned.
I think you skipped my earlier post above. I wrote the above keeping in mind what you posted as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
While posting on T-BHP we are not just vehicle drivers but also pedestrians most of the time
Before we discuss virtues of patience while crossing road any further
Please try to cross road in front of Forum mall despite traffic signal and traffic police to regulate car drivers inch forward as if their sole purpose in life is to nibble foot of pedestians.
It was a nightmare on the first day to office. I took exactly 10 minutes to cross the road. And while I was managing that, I begged for forgiveness for my previous sins . Very dangerous.
After that I always give preference to crossers even if I have to brake.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 09:45   #37
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Some of us have given examples where the infrastructure (foot bridges, zebra crossings) was there but people still chose to ignore them. Does it make sense to spend more on such infrastructure when the existing ones themselves are not used properly?

It is incorrect reasoning to say that people have the right to jaywalk just because the next zebra crossing was 1 km away. In most of the developed countries people would not mind walking 500 meters to the next pedestrian crossing. So why can't Indians? Or maybe that is why we are not a developed country yet.

Like DKG said, impose some punitive measures such as a fine. Once things fall into place more foot bridges, zebra crossings, sky walks and underpasses can be constructed.

And this is all mutual, if pedestrians respect road traffic it is more likely that car drivers will be more considerate to them.
watashi75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 09:50   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Correct but here, even death due to wrong crossings does not deter people, I'm wondering what will.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 10:13   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post

And this is all mutual, if pedestrians respect road traffic it is more likely that car drivers will be more considerate to them.
I beg to differ on this. On countless occasions I have tried to cross the road on zebra crossings, but vehicles just donít want to stop.
I would compare the plight of pedestrians in India to that of the bowlers in a T20 cricket match!!
rupa_upadhyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 12:21   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Some of us have given examples where the infrastructure (foot bridges, zebra crossings) was there but people still chose to ignore them. Does it make sense to spend more on such infrastructure when the existing ones themselves are not used properly?
It has to be universal to cultivate habit , Even in sparsely populated countries pedestrian crossings are designed so there is no reason why they should not be universally available in India it is just plain callousness.

When Government can spend on building roads and flyovers it cost just a fraction of that to build a foot crossover bridge or even less for a zebra crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post

It is incorrect reasoning to say that people have the right to jaywalk just because the next zebra crossing was 1 km away. In most of the developed countries people would not mind walking 500 meters to the next pedestrian crossing. So why can't Indians? Or maybe that is why we are not a developed country yet.
Yes they do not mind 500 meters to 1 km but in India they are not at 500 Meter or 1 KM they simply do not exist therefore people do not cultivate habit to use , Instead a risk taking habit is cultivated from childhood which manifest itself even when crossing is available.


Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Like DKG said, impose some punitive measures such as a fine. Once things fall into place more foot bridges, zebra crossings, sky walks and underpasses can be constructed.
Universal principle is other way round a fine can be imposed if facility is available not otherwise.
For example in rest of the world there is no fine for jaywalking on unmarked country roads and first right to passage is for pedestrians but fine is imposed on city roads with marked crossings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
And this is all mutual, if pedestrians respect road traffic it is more likely that car drivers will be more considerate to them.
Excuse me it is not for car drivers to be considerate it is a duty, It needs to be hammered in the brains of people driving the car that what a solid white or yellow stop line is for.

Everywhere in world vehicle drivers are expected to stop on a zebra even with out a signal.
Elsewhere in world your license will be suspended for such behavior and for repeat offense may never get it back again.

For example as per US DMV rules you get 7 points ( loss of license) if you pass a stopped school bus no matter where it is. It is for safety of children who tend to run in all directions after getting down.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th July 2009 at 12:24.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 12:42   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,324
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Its a simple thing, if a reckless driver is punishable, so is a guy / girl walking recklessly.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 12:44   #42
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupa_upadhyay View Post
I beg to differ on this.
I drive more than 50 km per day. If I met 1 or 2 jaywalkers on the way I would happily slow down and give them way. But it would be trying anyone's patience to be doing this twenty times a day every day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
When Government can spend on building roads and flyovers it cost just a fraction of that to build a foot crossover bridge or even less for a zebra crossing
I think you are missing the point that people are not using the existing infrastructure even when they are available. In Hyderabad itself there are more than 20 foot over bridges that I know of and which are not used by people trying to cross the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Everywhere in world vehicle drivers are expected to stop on a zebra even with out a signal.
Elsewhere in world your license will be suspended for such behavior and for repeat offense may never get it back again.
Precisely. This is what makes people drive responsibly and an equal measure would make jaywalkers commute responsibly as well.
watashi75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 13:19   #43
BHPian
 
chakri400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

A law of jaywalking will help motorists defend themselves in cases of accidents. Today, since there is no such law pedestrains misuse this (specially on highways in rural areas). I had one such experience while travelling out of wayanad. Suddenly an oldie jumped onto my car from a shop, I slammed my WagonR brakes but then he managed to scrape my car. He was hale and healthy but the police was hell bent on putting up a case extracting money. He was walking merrily but the police said he had a fracture in his foot and I had to shell down huge amount in the court case.

Today I am extra careful when I see someone lurking around the corner. If someone does it intentionally, it is very difficult to avoid as he/she would invariably find your car on the road. Hopefully a law on Jaywalking will be a deterrant for such acts in future.
chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 13:42   #44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
I drive more than 50 km per day. If I met 1 or 2 jaywalkers on the way I would happily slow down and give them way. But it would be trying anyone's patience to be doing this twenty times a day every day of the week.
May I ask, if you slowdown or stop your vehicle before a zebra crossing each time you see pedestrians wanting to cross over?
rupa_upadhyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 14:08   #45
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupa_upadhyay View Post
May I ask, if you slowdown or stop your vehicle before a zebra crossing each time you see pedestrians wanting to cross over?
I was talking about jaywalkers, people who cross roads while traffic is moving, and never make eye contact with you unless your car is too close, that is when they give you the look.

I slow down at yellow lights and I stop before the zebra crossing. In Hyderabad of course all zebra crossings are at traffic signals. I hope that clarifies.
watashi75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station gabrielthomas Shifting gears 92 21st August 2014 09:48
XUV - Should I or should I not? ganeshram SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 20 4th November 2011 14:19
Is plagiarism by an academician a punishable offence? tortoiseNhare Shifting gears 16 2nd October 2010 12:10
Is driving with high beam inside city an offence? speedsatya Shifting gears 66 21st April 2010 15:44
New Traffic offence in town 1100D Shifting gears 34 21st April 2010 14:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks