Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Should Jaywalking be considered a traffic offence ?
Yes it a offence but not a serious offence 22 36.67%
Yes it is a serious offence 30 50.00%
No it is not a offence at all 7 11.67%
Not sure 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st April 2010, 10:29   #91
BHPian

Atleast in Nagpur, I've seen policeman punishing cyclists !

They used to remove the tube valve for not stoping at Red signals, if the offence is too much, they used to remove the valves for both the tubes.

At the end of the day, they must have a pocket full of valves. LOL.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:31   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a time when people walking on Brigade road used to be admonished by the cops and told to walk on the footpaths.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:41   #93
BHPian

In the case of an accident, its almost always considered the fault of the vehicle if a pedestrian is involved in the accident. No matter how dangerously the pedestrian was crossing the road and no matter how safely the vehicle driver was driving. Its always the vehicles fault.

I've borne the brunt of it thanks to no fault of mine. I wonder how many decades and how many road mishaps will it take for people's mentality to change?
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

The motorists must raise this as a concern to the relevant RTO/RTA officials. The law may have provisions to fine errant pedestrians too, or such provisions can be made. The high court judgement cited earlier may be a one-off case. Also if the motorist can prove the fact beyond reason, the judgement could be overturned in appeal.

Outside the Mumbai CST where the BMC has constructed subways for people to cross over to opposite sides of the streets, you are forbidden to walk on the roads. There have been cases (remember reading some in newspapers) where errant pedestrians were fined by the traffic police.

The motoring community must take proactive steps to force the authorities to make the pedestrians behave. I guess recently a few motorists had approached the court over people crossing the Eastern Express Highway even after foot overbridges were constructed, and the court directed the police to take necessary action. Such steps will help attract attention to the problem and ensure the respective authorities move to prevent such errant pedestrians from putting their and others' lives in danger.

Edit: @Technocrat, with due respect, the court has decided in favour of the pedestrian because the driver could have averted the accident. So the deciding factor in this case was whether the driver could prevent the accident, as with any other motor accidents. This won't hold true in cases where pedestrians are crossing multi-lane highways where cars are legally allowed to run up to 80kmph.

Last edited by honeybee : 21st April 2010 at 10:54.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 11:38   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
There was a time when people walking on Brigade road used to be admonished by the cops and told to walk on the footpaths.
Yes, even I remember the time. It was some 5-6 years back IIRC.

MG road - Brigade road junction was declared a zero tolerance zone by Bangalore Traffic Police. The traffic police used to have a loudspeaker and they used to yell at any pedestrian who would cross the road at the wrong time. Some pedestrians were also fined, believe it or not.

But all this was a gimmick which could not continue beyond a month or so. Slowly things went back to normal.

While driving a vehicle, I treat pedestrians like animals. Meaning, I am ready for any sudden unpredictable movement from any of them - humans or animals. In India, both human pedestrians and animals are above the law. Hence no fine for either of them.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 14:06   #96
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
bus drivers trying to ensure no one passes them when they stop at bus stops.
Since when did Chennai bus drivers start stopping at bus stops? They normally stop right in the middle of two bus stops.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 14:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Since when did Chennai bus drivers start stopping at bus stops? They normally stop right in the middle of two bus stops.
Well after serious complaints they now stop exactly at the bus stops, but ensure that no one cannot pass through them. Its like Michael Schumacher in the pits blocking the way to Kimi so that no one else can pass over until he's refuelled.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 15:20   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

If you declare it an offence everybody except our netas (they do not cross roads but have them closed for them) will be behind bars!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 15:24   #99
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well after serious complaints they now stop exactly at the bus stops, but ensure that no one cannot pass through them. Its like Michael Schumacher in the pits blocking the way to Kimi so that no one else can pass over until he's refuelled.
That's good news. So atleast now the bus passengers will heave a sigh of relief. And can't blame them for stopping in the middle of the road. You have Jay-Standers who stand waiting for the bus all the way till the middle of the road. Can't blame them either. There is no sufficient place for them to stand at the bus stop or their place is taken up by hawkers. Worst is that there's no queue system in chennai like Aamchi Mumbai. So everyone tries to squeeze in before the other. So it's like many Schumachers taking pole position to beat many Raikonen's from getting in to the bus before.

Much discipline needs to be inculcated to pedestrians. May be they should join a school and come out with a license for walking / standing on roads and platforms etc.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 21:27   #100
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Should jaywalking be a punishable offence in India?

Old thread. But new video.

What would one call pedestrians who cross the roads at any point, without considering that they are standing at a blind spot.

tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote